PDA

View Full Version : NM, CO backpacking

PecosBackpacker
03-21-2006, 16:23
Hi All
I will be the High adventure Director at a Boy Scout camp in New Mexico this summer. Normally, I hike the Pecos Wilderness with my groups, but I have been informed that due to a possible fire danger, the area may be completely closed for the summer. This leads me to my question: He has charged me to find alternate areas in Northern NM, or Souther CO. Does anyone know of any spots excluding the San Juans or the Weminuchee? Thanks.

Shutterbug
03-21-2006, 16:37
Hi All
I will be the High adventure Director at a Boy Scout camp in New Mexico this summer. Normally, I hike the Pecos Wilderness with my groups, but I have been informed that due to a possible fire danger, the area may be completely closed for the summer. This leads me to my question: He has charged me to find alternate areas in Northern NM, or Souther CO. Does anyone know of any spots excluding the San Juans or the Weminuchee? Thanks.

The Colorado Trail would be a good choice. It goes from Denver to Durango. I have done the portion from Denver to Breckinridge. There are some great pictures of the Colorado Trail on Tha Wookie's web site.

A bit farther east, you may consider the trails in Pala Dura Canyon and Caprock Canyon State Parks in Texas. Either are less than a day's drive from New Mexico. My wife and I did the Lighthouse Trail in Pala Dura Canyon last week.

Blister
03-21-2006, 18:41
I have heard and will find out shortly for myself that the Gila in NM are amazing. Ancient Indian Cliff Dwellings - not sure what hikes would be good for boy scouts - water is a huge concern. Might be worth checking into.

Topcat
03-21-2006, 21:12
Why dont you call the folks at Philmont? I am sure they have a list of places within that area and may even have some trip plans.

fiddlehead
03-21-2006, 21:28
I will assume that you don't want the wiminuche or san juans because they are too long distance between access (trailheads)
I remember the area near Ghost ranch (i think that's the name) where Georgia O'Keefe lived near the CDT as being very very nice. I don't think it's a huge area but very scenic and beautiful. check it out if you can.
NM is so different from CO and beautiful in it's own right but not so high elevation and much more accessible. good luck.

Peaks
03-22-2006, 09:40
Why dont you call the folks at Philmont? I am sure they have a list of places within that area and may even have some trip plans.

For one thing, if you hoped to go to Philmont this summer, you needed to get into the lottery in November 2004. But, Double H may have some openings.

Another resource is to check the BSA website for other Scout Council high adventure bases.

RockyTrail
03-22-2006, 11:19
A popular hike for off-duty rangers at Philmont is to go climb Mt Wheeler.
I've talked to several that did that on their days off. And then you can say you hiked to the highest point in NM.

If you call Philmont some of the staffers may be able to recommend some other local off-ranch hikes for your BSA group, they are usually glad to help.

Spirit Walker
03-22-2006, 11:48
If the problem is that drought may close the National Forests in NM - you really will have to plan to travel, just in case, and then wait and see if they actually do close the state. Plan A and Plan B. Pretty much anywhere in NM is likely to be closed this year. How far are you willing to drive? Southern Colorado is also hit by the drought, though not as badly as NM. I would go for the Weminuche, there are loops you can make that aren't that long. North of there - I would say the Mt. Massive area could make for an interesting trip. Sangre de Christos are probably experiencing the same drought effects as NM and the south San Juans - but they should be hikeable.

No Belay
03-25-2006, 01:17
Pecos, Don't know if Aldo Leopold Wilderness and Gila are to far south for you or not. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in both and would be happy to send you info and photos when I get back on the 9th. PM if you'd be interested or if I can do any other recon for you. Good luck in your quest.