PDA

View Full Version : Holing up at the Haven

Frosty
03-21-2006, 17:21
It's been a tough hike so far. I picked up some evil upper respiratory infection. I could walk okay downhill but had zero stamina on uphills. Took a few rest days in Hiawassee, but it didn't help. Finally got too bad to hike at all and got off the trail at Deep Gap and came down to Ron haven's Budget Inn in Franklin. Went to a clinic yesaterday and got more anti-biotics. Stronger stuff this time. Still prety sick, but feeling a bit better. have eaten alomst nothing for three-four days, so maybe my weight will be down somewhat when I get back on the trail.

Doctor said not to get back on the trail for a "few days." His concern is that if I start hiking too soon, I will jsut catch something else because my body is a too weak.

So I will stay here at Haven's until Friday. Hopefully I will feel better and can continue my hike then.

Sly
03-21-2006, 17:31
Hey Frosty, sorry to hear about your illness.

Rest up, eat lots of chicken soup and try it again. Don't forget to get back on the trail at Deep Gap! ;)

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 17:34
Hope you are feeling better soon. See you on Sat or Sun at Rocky Bald. I'll be serving coffee and hot chocolate. I might be in Franklin tomorrow night. If I'm not runnin' late I'll drop by and see you. I've wanted to meet Ron anyway. Good Luck! Gray Blazer AKA Bear Bait II

Ender
03-21-2006, 17:49
Sorry to hear about the sickness. That's a bummer. Take all the time needed to fully heal though... it will make the rest of your hike that much better. Besides... the trail ain't going anywhere and will wait for you!

Here's to a fast recovery!

tiamalle
03-21-2006, 23:20
Hey Frosty, sorry to hear about your illness.

Rest up, eat lots of chicken soup and try it again. Don't forget to get back on the trail at Deep Gap! ;)If this doctor bought medicine don't do him any good I'll take him off down a blue blaze trail and see if a little dose of of my great aunt Menerva's tonic might help.

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 23:25
If this doctor bought medicine don't do him any good I'll take him off down a blue blaze trail and see if a little dose of of my great aunt Menerva's tonic might help.

Watch out for those Revenooers on your backtrail.;)

khaynie
03-21-2006, 23:47
My Mom and I gave you a ride from Woody Gap to the hiker hostel in Dahlonega. You appeared to be in good health and spirits then. Well, these things do happen. My best wishes for your speedy recovery, Frosty. Just hang in there, you'll get over it. Good luck!

Teatime
03-22-2006, 07:46
Ah, a touch of the "Recipe" is what's needed. It must really suck to be sick without someone there to take care of you. I'm such a baby when I get sick. I know Ron will do all he can to help you out. He is a super nice guy.

MOWGLI
03-22-2006, 08:30
Frosty:

Kick this thing and get back on track. Remember, its still very early in the "GA-ME".

Have a great hike.

tiamalle
03-22-2006, 11:47
Ah, a touch of the "Recipe" is what's needed. It must really suck to be sick without someone there to take care of you. I'm such a baby when I get sick. I know Ron will do all he can to help you out. He is a super nice guy.Thanks Teatime,I'll take care of him.:D

Smile
03-24-2006, 12:51
Hi Frosty....hope you are feeling better, good to share the ride to Franklin with you!

walkin' wally
03-24-2006, 18:55
Take care Frosty. Get some rest and go back slow. You can do it.

Remember the tough terrain in the Mahoosucs? Some good up-hills there. :D

Good luck.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2006, 19:58
I'm here too.:D

khaynie
03-24-2006, 20:03
This is a little random:

But does anyone remember what Ron Haven's pro-wrestling name was? He told me but I can't remember...

He's quite the character and offers one heck of a deal! If you're staying in Franklin, stay with Haven. We enjoyed our stay!

ed bell
03-25-2006, 11:31
My wife met Ron in 2003 on her hike. Super nice dude. Since you mentioned wrestling, it reminded me that Ron was the person she talked about from Franklin. Don't recall his AKA from his wrestling days. How about it Ron?:sun

neo
03-25-2006, 13:17
hi frosty
i hope you get better and you have a great hike,take of yourself:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
03-25-2006, 16:39
Cubby Carlisle, Mr. X #2.

TOW
03-25-2006, 19:42
hang in there frosty.....................

tiamalle
03-26-2006, 17:22
hang in there frosty.....................He call Budget Inn at 4:00pm from Mt.Albert headed back into Franklin tonight.

Tin Man
03-26-2006, 23:24
Frosty, Wishing you a quick return to the trail.

Lone Wolf, Have a good hike.

tiamalle
03-26-2006, 23:32
Frosty, Wishing you a quick return to the trail.

Lone Wolf, Have a good hike.Tin Man you are coming this weekend?

Frosty
03-27-2006, 12:11
Frosty, Wishing you a quick return to the trail.Thanks, man. I'm getting there. Lone Wolf dropped me at Deep Gap on Saturday and I did the 24 miles back to Franklin in two days. My best back-to-back days so far. The Amoxicillin seems to be working, though I am still heavily congested and struggle on uphills. I still have three more days of pills to take.

I don't like being sick, and never was a graceful patient. I just want to feel okay. I'm going to spend one more day in Franklin (at the Sapphire), and head for Fontana Dam. I seriously want to be healthy when I hit the Smokies.

Thanks to all for their best wishes

Tin Man
03-27-2006, 20:11
Tin Man you are coming this weekend?

I gotta get a new WB name. :( I understand from several posters who have posted or emailed me that there is a Tin Man who makes/sells gear. I am very sorry, I am not THAT Tin Man. I am just an ordinary every day Tin Man, who thought he had a unique trail name. Anyway, I hope you catch up with the other Tin Man and wish him my best, whoever he is.

Signed,
Ordinary Tin Man

Tin Man
03-27-2006, 20:20
Tin Man you are coming this weekend?

On second thought, I would love to come to the weekend's festivities, except for two mitigating circumstances.

1. I will be a boy scout dad, accompanying my son to Camp Nobebosco in Blairstown, NJ, home to the location scenes for the first Jason movie and within sight of the AT. :banana

2. I would be concerned about what might happen if two Tin Men (or is it mans? :-? ) should meet. Would there be some kind of disturbance in the force or a time/space divergence thingy? :-?

Gray Blazer
03-28-2006, 13:06
Tiamalle, sorry I missed you last wed. I stopped by to visit Frosty who seemed in good spirits. I managed to pull off the 2 day hiker feed on Rocky Bald (Someone told me it was actually Copper Ridge Bald). It turned into a survival fest for me with all the snow and cold temps. I got lots of pics of Nobos. I did not get all their names because it was too cold to get out my pencil and write them down. I'll post them soon. Thanks to you all for all the help, especially the Sopranos who hauled down a lot of my gear on Sun. The eggs did not freeze because even though they lay in the snow for 3 days because they were in a thermal bag! Amazing!

Jack Tarlin
03-28-2006, 15:15
Am presently writing from Ron's other Motel, the Sapphire Inn. It's full of hikers, very happy to be here as it's been fairly miserable the last few nights; heading out tomorrow, may be back for the festival. Ron and his staff have been great.....ALL they do is drive hikers around, amazing they're not burned out by it. Anyway, all's well in Franklin, looking forard to pillaging the steakhouse buffet with about a dozen other folks in a few hours; hope everyone at WB is well and hapy.

tiamalle
03-28-2006, 23:20
Tiamalle, sorry I missed you last wed. I stopped by to visit Frosty who seemed in good spirits. I managed to pull off the 2 day hiker feed on Rocky Bald (Someone told me it was actually Copper Ridge Bald). It turned into a survival fest for me with all the snow and cold temps. I got lots of pics of Nobos. I did not get all their names because it was too cold to get out my pencil and write them down. I'll post them soon. Thanks to you all for all the help, especially the Sopranos who hauled down a lot of my gear on Sun. The eggs did not freeze because even though they lay in the snow for 3 days because they were in a thermal bag! Amazing!Let's take a rain check and I'll see you again,Thanks for trail magic.I just made a post on http://appalachiantrailservices.com thanking all trail angels for their work and hiker support,Ron Haven

:sun :sun :sun :sun

tiamalle
03-28-2006, 23:22
Am presently writing from Ron's other Motel, the Sapphire Inn. It's full of hikers, very happy to be here as it's been fairly miserable the last few nights; heading out tomorrow, may be back for the festival. Ron and his staff have been great.....ALL they do is drive hikers around, amazing they're not burned out by it. Anyway, all's well in Franklin, looking forard to pillaging the steakhouse buffet with about a dozen other folks in a few hours; hope everyone at WB is well and hapy.Thank's Jack,We are all having fun:D.

GreenMonkee
04-02-2006, 15:02
Hey Frosty,

Get well soon. We're rootin' for ya:clap

LMG and I are hitting the approach trail on the 15th. See ya on the trail.