PDA

View Full Version : 18 days worth of rations (In the news)

squirrel bait
03-21-2006, 17:26
Family survives in Oregon.
What do ya'll think of this little bit of rationing of food and water? Granted it's a motor home of some type but that's a good amount of time ain't it? Western Oregon seems to have some severe weather. Is this one of those times when a stash of four or five bucks worth of ramen noodles came in handy? Is this a reason for a hiker to always carry a little bit extra, I mean above the already built in safety factor?

hikerjohnd
03-21-2006, 17:46
any links to the article? I have not heard of this...

jaywalke
03-22-2006, 09:48
I can't paste the link for some reason, but it's on the front page of MSNBC.com.

Those coastal mountains in Oregon are seriously steep. This seems to be a case of altitude seasonal confusion disorder - I.e. "It's March, so it must be spring up there, too." It's sort of like the folks who freeze in the Smokies every spring break. It must be warm there, because it's so far south, right?

:-]

Ridge
03-22-2006, 10:26
http://www.tampabays10.com/thismorning/thismorning_article.aspx?storyid=27636

Skeemer
03-22-2006, 10:34
The biggest threat they had was going nuts being cooped up with each other for a couple of weeks. It was a motor "HOME" for crissakes...

Now they'll exagerate and embellish...write a book...do a made for TV movie...do the talk show circuit. Ahh...gotta love it!:)

jlb2012
03-22-2006, 11:23
another link to story: http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/03/22/ap2613054.html

Ridge
03-22-2006, 13:45
The biggest threat they had was going nuts being cooped up with each other for a couple of weeks. It was a motor "HOME" for crissakes...............................:)

I have an uncle who travels via Motor Home. He says "roughing it" is when the batteries in the TV Remote go dead and you have to get out of bed to change the channels!

Doppleganger
03-22-2006, 13:55
Family survives in Oregon.
What do ya'll think of this little bit of rationing of food and water? Granted it's a motor home of some type but that's a good amount of time ain't it? Western Oregon seems to have some severe weather. Is this one of those times when a stash of four or five bucks worth of ramen noodles came in handy? Is this a reason for a hiker to always carry a little bit extra, I mean above the already built in safety factor?

Ab-so-lutely. I always carry a little extry....in my home and on the trail.:)

ronmoak
03-22-2006, 13:59
The 35 foot motor home with 6 people, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and two kids, got stuck in a snow bank 15 miles from the valley and safety. It did snow quite a bit in the few days after they got stuck which made hiking out a more difficult option.

However they chose to stick it out waiting for rescue. That is until they saw on their portable TV that the rescue search was called off! My guess is that the cell phones couldn’t get coverage.

Mom, "Gee, what do we do now?"

Dad, "I don't know maybe we'll have to walk the 15 miles down the road and get help. Oh, Lord!"

Me, “Ya think.”

Switch to the family reunion on TV. The emotion of near tragedy, the hugs, the “We’re alive” moments, the tears streaming down happy faces. It was almost too hard to watch.

Skeemer
03-22-2006, 18:08
Geezus, I shouldn't be telling my backpacking buddies this, but I own a motorhome (it's 10 years old and sits in the barn most of the time)...it's my lovely wife Julia's idea of roughing it. And, if she doesn't like what I'm watching on TV, she can go back and watch what she wants on the one in the bedroom.

So if I want to vacation with my wife, well you get the idea. It's the least I can do since she still holds down a good paying, full time job, cooks dinner, does the wash, cleans the house, etc. When I'm not away somewhere hiking, I do make coffee for her in the morning...just bought her one of those Tassimo devices. (no ******* its not a vibrator, it's a $200 coffee system...she can wait for me to come home for a visit)

However, she and the dog only paid me one brief visit on the AT (Harpers Ferry)...not because she didn't miss me, but because she had to take off work and drive all the way down from Ohio.

Five of us "backpackers" took it out west in '04 to do the JMT. Swung through Vegas on the way back and, I have to admit, had a pretty good time even.

Now that I've got that off my chest I feel a whole lot better.