PDA

View Full Version : Roll forward or back?

HankIV
11-20-2020, 18:48
Is there any big advantage when closing a roll top pack, going one way or the other? I.e. rolling towards back of the pack or towards back of your head?

HooKooDooKu
11-20-2020, 19:24
The only thing that comes to mind is that it's going to be difficult to roll it closed by turning your wrists down... you'll want to roll it up as you move your wrists up.
That means if you load your pack from behind it, the roll will face away from your head.
But if you load your pack from in front of it, the roll will face towards your head.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the roll is facing towards your head, when it rains, you will have slightly more water rolling down between your pack and your back compared to the amount of rain rolling off the back of your pack.

Traveler
11-21-2020, 07:27
FWIW, I have always favored rolling, packing, or stacking anything on the pack should be done to shed water off the rear of the pack.

lonehiker
11-21-2020, 08:38
And I thought that I had seen every question that could possibly be asked, asked...

garlic08
11-21-2020, 09:48
I'm sort of anal, and a recovering engineer, and I admit I never would have thought to ask that.

RangerZ
11-21-2020, 10:14
I was at a shelter where the discussion was about rolling your bandana. After you fold it into a triangle do you fold or roll it with the point in or out. My vote was in, it’s neater.

martinb
11-21-2020, 10:53
Rolling it forward creates drag. It'll take at least a 10th of a second off your top speed.

Crossbar
11-21-2020, 10:57
I used to wire houses on the side and when it came time to install the receptacle/switch covers I would always ask the homeowners if they would like the screw slots to orient horizontal or vertical. I advised them that vertical was usually better because it would let dust fall down the slot and not collect on the screw. Some looked at me funny; some thought about it.

rhjanes
11-21-2020, 11:08
I used to wire houses on the side and when it came time to install the receptacle/switch covers I would always ask the homeowners if they would like the screw slots to orient horizontal or vertical. I advised them that vertical was usually better because it would let dust fall down the slot and not collect on the screw. Some looked at me funny; some thought about it. I once read where Roger "The Captain" Penske had all the slots in his race shops aligned. EVERYTHING clean and in its place. Floors so clean you could eat off them. The Penske way (shame his teams hardly ever wins any races :rolleyes: )

Deadeye
11-21-2020, 12:14
There are so many things in life that don't really matter, but that doesn't mean we can't ponder them. I have a roll top pack, and while I don't really think there's a right or wrong way, I have considered if one way is a better than the other. I'm with Traveler - I look at how rain will run off the pack.

I'm shocked that a recovering engineer wouldn't place proper drainage high on the list of things to consider!

Please keep in mind - these are things to consider while drinking beer and pondering navel lint. They are truly things of miniscule import. But when you have hours to stare at campfire, why not ponder the minutiae of life?

HankIV
11-22-2020, 23:42
Sounds like roll it back for both drag reduction and water/rain management.

Guessing there is no difference for Dynema vs Xpac?

madgoat
11-23-2020, 09:48
I once read where Roger "The Captain" Penske had all the slots in his race shops aligned. EVERYTHING clean and in its place. Floors so clean you could eat off them. The Penske way (shame his teams hardly ever wins any races :rolleyes: )
I guess it all depends if you want to trim your pack out for qualifying, or raceday. (FKT or thru?)

Now if only I could get a set of Penske dampers to increase my mechanical grip while on trail.