PDA

View Full Version : The Burrito Effect

Aramis
03-21-2006, 19:02
I was wondering why in some photos of hammocks (such as Risk's test hammock at http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm ) show them kind of wrapping over at the top like a burrito while others (such as the Bliss, Travel Hammock etc) are wide and airy. Is it an aspect of design or just the way people are laying in them? If it's design, then what factors determine that behaviour?

Seeker
03-21-2006, 19:44
I was wondering why in some photos of hammocks (such as Risk's test hammock at http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm ) show them kind of wrapping over at the top like a burrito while others (such as the Bliss, Travel Hammock etc) are wide and airy. Is it an aspect of design or just the way people are laying in them? If it's design, then what factors determine that behaviour?

it's a design function... risk's hammock is all puckered up at the end, and the sides just sort of spill over... 'wide' or 'airy', as you call them, are that way because they tend to have a spreader bar top and bottom, and the ends aren't puckered up. like if you crumple up the ends of a sheet of paper, it sort of forms a little boat shape... if you leave it alone, it lays flat and the sides stay down.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 20:52
I almost agree with Seeker. It's partly a design function, but also based on personal preference.

Hammocks with spreader bars aren't very good to sleep on, but spreader bars that only hold the bugnet open and aren't a structural member of the hammock are ok. That can make it look more airy.

The ridgeline and side tie-outs on Hennessy also make it look more airy, but you don't have to use the tie-outs and it's still just as comfortable...you just have some material closer to your face.

However, on a Speer-type like Risk's, it can be open or a burrito based on preference. Risk hangs his hammock tightly between the trees (less sag), so it doesn't open out as wide. I hang mine with more sag so it's open and airy - but the design is still the same.

neo
03-21-2006, 21:24
i you hang a hammock to tightly that will cause the burrito effect,the ridge line in the hennessey hammocks take the guess work out of proper tauntness,:cool: neo

Aramis
03-21-2006, 22:09
That makes sense. I haven't been looking at hammocks with spreader bars, just the usual suspects (Henessy, Speer, Clark) and the travel hammocks made by Ticket to the Moon and TheTravelHammock.com etc.. I like that TttM is Indonesian based - I'd rather send my money to a developing country than a developed one. At least the money stays there instead of being repatriated via corporations and ngo's like aid money is.

I figure I'll just get a cheap, simple hammock that I can use for stealth camping on our local tropical island (20 minutes away by ferry) and see if I like it. I can pick my weather and camp where I'll get some breeze, so I can probably survive the bugs for a weekend.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 23:34
The owner of TttM (Charly) is in France. His WB username is descotis. I don't know if that means the money goes to France, though.

Good idea on the cheap hammock, though - just make sure it's sized right and it'll probably be comfy enough.

tanpuma
03-21-2006, 23:46
You could have a local lady sew your hammock via speer instructions/book available. Buy your fabric from country of choice. this gives a profit to her mostly. Custom product for you. :)

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:59
I had a quick look at the old Speer hammocking book when I was at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Ga. last week. It seems that you pull the bottom of the hammock tighter than the sides before you tie the ends in an overhand knot. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to give the hammock the floppy sides like my HH has. Another design aspect which seems to help with minimizing the "burrito effect" is the ridge line which supports the mosquito netting in the HH. It is under quite a bit of tension, which may take away some tension from the sides and encourage the diagonal sleeping position. My reconfigured Byer Traveller (I removed the multiple parachute cords and replaced them with a single 6mm climbing accessory cord on each end) wraps around me somewhat, but it doesn't bother me. I can hang my feet over the edge or my head over the edge and lie on my side without any problems. As a matter of fact, I slept in it one night on the AT in Georgia last week when the nighttime temps didn't dip below 40. My closed cell pads kept me warm underneath, but where the hammock pressed against my sleeping bag on the sides it was a little chilly. Still, I got the best night's sleep of the trip in it.

Aramis
03-22-2006, 00:46
You could have a local lady sew your hammock via speer instructions/book available. Buy your fabric from country of choice. this gives a profit to her mostly. Custom product for you. :)

I thought of that but it would end up costing more than a new Hennessy. Labour is really expensive for one-offs, and unless you stand over them the whole time, they will get it wrong. I'd rather just grab something and try it. That way I'll find out if I can sleep in one, and learn what works and what doesn't. I'm not really happy with the 'sleeping system only' hammocks - I'd prefer something more versatile to suit my 'up at the crack of noon and potter around for two hours' walking style. Getting out of bed in the morning is a big decision, and one well worth avoiding. As I always say, why put off until tomorrow what you can get away with never doing at all? (not really - I'm usually up around 6 or 7, but I can dream).

The 300 gram (~10 oz) Travel Hammock Ultralight looks the most promising at present, but the website doesn't give the dimensions. I've emailed them but I won't hold my breath. I've emailed about two dozen equipment manufacturers in the past couple of months, and so far I've had a reply from one of them.

Seeker
03-22-2006, 09:27
and unless you stand over them the whole time, they will get it wrong.

yes, but once you establish a relationship with a good one, they'll bend over backwards to please you... i find this much easier than sewing my own stuff, especially when it's complicated...

neo
03-22-2006, 11:11
i think i will pick one of these hammocks up from jacksrbetter in a few months:cool: neo

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Mosquito%20Hammock.htm

Aramis
03-22-2006, 21:31
i think i will pick one of these hammocks up from jacksrbetter in a few months:cool: neo

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Mosquito%20Hammock.htm

Is that just an addition to your extensive hammock collection, or as a possible replacement for the Hennessy?

neo
03-22-2006, 23:09
Is that just an addition to your extensive hammock collection, or as a possible replacement for the Hennessy?

using hennessey in the summer and the other hammock in the winter
getting one for me and my wife:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

tanpuma
03-23-2006, 21:25
[quote=Aramis]I thought of that but it would end up costing more than a new Hennessy. Labour is really expensive for one-offs, and unless you stand over them the whole time, they will get it wrong. I'd rather just grab something and try it. That way I'll find out if I can sleep in one, and learn what works and what doesn't. I'm not really happy with the 'sleeping system only' hammocks - I'd prefer something more versatile to suit..

Have you looked at the Speer hammock site? It has an outline of hammock construction which seems very simple, I can't imagine for the amount of sewing required and the exact pattern supplied by Ed's book that it could be expensive. His design has a removable bug net , so you can use your hammock casually. I really like his whole sharing all things hammock.
There is no corporation behind him. Many of the other hammocks sold on the internet are resold from a factory somewhere else. Old hands probably know which ones, I don't.
My take on the pucker/burrito effect is that a hammock that is too short will begin gathering on the ends at your head and feet squishing you a bit.
If the hammock is too narrow you can't lay diagonally and flatten your back. I am making mine about 10 feet by 54" before hemming and whipping.

neo
03-23-2006, 21:50
[quote=Aramis]I thought of that but it would end up costing more than a new Hennessy. Labour is really expensive for one-offs, and unless you stand over them the whole time, they will get it wrong. I'd rather just grab something and try it. That way I'll find out if I can sleep in one, and learn what works and what doesn't. I'm not really happy with the 'sleeping system only' hammocks - I'd prefer something more versatile to suit..

Have you looked at the Speer hammock site? It has an outline of hammock construction which seems very simple, I can't imagine for the amount of sewing required and the exact pattern supplied by Ed's book that it could be expensive. His design has a removable bug net , so you can use your hammock casually. I really like his whole sharing all things hammock.
There is no corporation behind him. Many of the other hammocks sold on the internet are resold from a factory somewhere else. Old hands probably know which ones, I don't.
My take on the pucker/burrito effect is that a hammock that is too short will begin gathering on the ends at your head and feet squishing you a bit.
If the hammock is too narrow you can't lay diagonally and flatten your back. I am making mine about 10 feet by 54" before hemming and whipping.

ed speer's hammock camping book is excellent:cool: neo

Aramis
03-24-2006, 01:03
Funny thing, but I've never actually met a girl who could sew. It must have become unfashionable somewhere along the line. The yall knew how to shop though.

I suppose that the bottom line is that the only way I can get exactly what I want is by having it made - then made, made and made again :)

I can sew a button on, but that's about my limit. If I was living near my family then it would be easy to find someone, since my stepmother is into that craft stuff. That's too high a price to pay though - I like to keep at least a thousand miles between myself and my family. I stay saner that way :p

tanpuma
03-24-2006, 12:14
My local fabric store has sewing class, and its very cheap 30-35$ for a basic class. I even asked if I could work on my camping gear for my "project". they were very nice. I don't think you even need a machine( for the class). A hammock is a hemmed rectangle, the rest is tying line for the whipping, adding 2 long straps which can be sewed into loops at each end or tied.
This is just about the easiest project for a beginner. :)

neo
03-24-2006, 12:21
My local fabric store has sewing class, and its very cheap 30-35$ for a basic class. I even asked if I could work on my camping gear for my "project". they were very nice. I don't think you even need a machine( for the class). A hammock is a hemmed rectangle, the rest is tying line for the whipping, adding 2 long straps which can be sewed into loops at each end or tied.
This is just about the easiest project for a beginner. :)

thats great,i need to learn to sew,:cool:

Heater
03-24-2006, 12:30
I just finished a burrito. (The "El Jefe" from Jefe's restaraunt)

I expect the "burrito effect" to begin in about 1.5 hours. :D Beware! :D

This public service announcement was brought to you by Austexs.

hammock engineer
03-24-2006, 12:52
I just finished a burrito. (The "El Jefe" from Jefe's restaraunt)

I expect the "burrito effect" to begin in about 1.5 hours. :D Beware! :D

This public service announcement was brought to you by Austexs.

Now that's funny.