PDA

View Full Version : I would like to hear your views......

JimSproul
03-21-2006, 19:16
Hello Fellow Whiteblazers -

I have browsed and enjoyed this web site since September of 2003. I seldom miss a day, I usually pass through several times in a day. Some of you seem like friends, others more like scary neighbors, it has been a place I have enjoyed. PLEASE NOTE: I have NOT put this tread in the straight forward forum because I would like to hear what you have to say, on topic or off.

It looks like I will be out of work as of 4pm tomorrow. I have been "sent for", as they say in the mob movies. I would like your 2 cents on where I go from here.

I am 52, have 5 kids, but only 3 still at home. My wife works and has a salary about equal to mine but still it is not always easy to pay all the bills each month.

I feel weighted down by 50 years of baggage. The long unresolved issues, pains and disappointments that somehow carry more weight then the many happy times, successes and great things I have been blessed with. I am MORE than ready to put down that baggage but have not found a way that works for me. I have worked with counselors and tried various approaches.

A few years ago I took a backpacking trip that ended with 11 days on the trail at Philmont in Cimarron, New Mexico. When I came down off that final ridge, there was no baggage heavier than the few pounds in my backpack. I felt joy and relief for several months after. I lived a far better and more vibrant life since.

Unfortunately I fell back into some old ruts, lived my old patterns, and picked up the old baggage once again. The burden and effect of that baggage is that I live my life in a manner that does do provide my family with the kind of husband and father I think I could give them. I know the problem is not people or places. I know that the problems are under my hat. I know that I can live better than I live today.

Here is the question. My wife thinks, and in my heart so do I, that if I get fired tomorrow I should head to Springer and get a little therapy. Should I go? Maybe not 6 months but perhaps it will be. We would decide later. I have all I need and can buy food as needed. I have the skills and experience. I am healthy enough to get by until I get into hiking shape.

Have I gone off the edge? I am compounding the problems? I am finally dealing with life's real issues? Will I be able to handle them knowing how large they can loom alone in a tent at the end of a long wet hard day? Am I running away?

What would you do? Share with me and I promise to let you know how it comes out.

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 19:25
Here is the question. My wife thinks, and in my heart so do I, that if I get fired tomorrow I should head to Springer and get a little therapy. Should I go? Maybe not 6 months but perhaps it will be. We would decide later. I have all I need and can buy food as needed. I have the skills and experience. I am healthy enough to get by until I get into hiking shape. What would you do? Share with me a I promise to let you know how it comes out.

My friend, your answer is in the very words you wrote.:) Go, and be blessed, no matter what.

Hikerhead
03-21-2006, 19:25
If the wife says that you need to go for a hike, go. That's a no brainer. She knows you better than anyone. When you feel like you've had enough, go on back home. A little time on the trail will get things right.

You have a very understanding wife, what a lucky man you are.

The Solemates
03-21-2006, 19:26
Here is the question. My wife thinks, and in my heart so do I, that if I get fired tomorrow I should head to Springer and get a little therapy. Should I go?

WOW!! up until this point, I was going to tell you to suck it up and get another job. you have a family, responsibilities, and mouths to feed. but then you made this statement and perhaps you should go. if your wife (and family!) is all for it, then why not go? the trail is the best therapy there is. heck, why not take the whole family on a thru-hike?

Two Speed
03-21-2006, 19:28
I'm not quite your age, but the local municipality I work for has managed to get themselves wrapped around the axle, financially speaking, and I was looking at a lay-off last winter. I gave serious consideration to a mid-life crisis, hiker bum style. Unfortunately I haven't saved nearly enough to cover retirement; enough to hike the AT and have "re-entry" covered, but it would have left remarkably little in savings. So, instead of packing my bag and hitting the trail I'm doing the responsible thing and looking for another position. A few more years down the road, a little more in savings and I'm sure I'd have arrived at a very different decision.

That said, if doing a thru won't seriously compromise your retirement savings or your marriage I'd say go for it.

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2006, 19:29
Here is the question. My wife thinks, and in my heart so do I, that if I get fired tomorrow I should head to Springer and get a little therapy. Should I go?

Jim - why the heck wouldn't you go??

Seeker
03-21-2006, 19:39
Hikerhead nailed it...

you know what you need. your wife knows what you need. your wife works, and is willing to let you go... you are a lucky man... somewhere out there is a guy who doesn't know, his wife is clueless, and wouldn't let him go in any case... so for at least a few weeks,

GO!

Blue Jay
03-21-2006, 19:39
What would you do? [/U][/I][/B] Share with me and I promise to let you know how it comes out.

Do NOT wait for someone to fire you. Fire your job, NOW.

Hana_Hanger
03-21-2006, 19:46
I was in the same boat a year ago....my hubby said GO and I did!
It worked...kept me from getting depressed...help me start my life over, got a different part time job and now go twice a month, hiking and camping...and even returned to riding motorcycles/scooters.
We are now both, again very happy.
Be ever so thankful she does understand, you can always think about another job, once you return and feel you want to.

max patch
03-21-2006, 19:47
Hey Jim,

I hope this doesn't sound cruel but you asked what "I" would do.

I've done one thru. I plan to do another some day. I'm your age and have 2 middle schoolers.

Take a weeks hike. Maybe two. Anymore than that -- like a thru -- would be irresponsible. Even if the money is there -- you may get a large severance -- your responsibility to your children is of prime importance.

Best wishes on whatever happens next in your life.

Local
03-21-2006, 19:48
Jim, I've been there, done that. Question: when you wake at 3 a.m. will you wonder if your kids are ok, or should you be there for their immediate access? I believe it will be crucial to resolve this before you go. Your wife sounds strong and independent, and will no doubt miss you but will probably appreciate some free time herself. Question: will you have work or other financial possibilities lined up before you leave? If not, you will gnaw on this like an old bone and your mind will not be free. I emphasize "possibilities," not actual job offers. Question: does your family have a good support group for emergencies in your absence? Your mind will be greatly eased if this is true.

In my case in a "transitional" time I went to Egypt and hiked the Sinai. Not recommended unless you want to be a Bedouin, but it does help establish clarity in your thinking.

If you do this trip, and I think you will (and it doesn't have to be a thru-hike to meet your needs), drop in at Damascus for a few days and hang out with a bunch of the old dudes who have made similar journeys in the working world. Get Sheriff to call me from the Baja Cafe and I'll buy you a beer. Or two.

Richard
www.damascus.org
www.traildays.info

Footslogger
03-21-2006, 20:05
Well Jim ...I relate well to what you're going through. I stopped the world and got off for 6 (really 9) months in 2003 to hike the trail. Then, like many of us, I somehow slid right back into the lifestyle I swore I'd left behind when I finished my thru.

You're lucky (like me) to have a supportive wife and family. What I would tell you is to listen to the voices inside your head and those of your wife and kids. Don't give up anything you consider precious ...but by all means if you have the means and opportunity to take a walk then I'd day go for it.

I'm really close to pulling the plug again myself so I'm writing this in part for you and in part for me. The wife and I just returned from a dive trip (our other addiction) and within 2 days of being back at work I've got headaches and I can feel the blood pressure rising. It's just now worth it.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. Keep us posted.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 20:13
Only one female perspective so far, as near as I can tell(Kudos to Hana Hanger). Come on ladies and help a fellow out!

bbanker
03-21-2006, 20:17
Sometimes if you don't do it yourself, life gives you the kick in the A$% you need. Even if you go for 5 days or 5 months, go if it's what you feel you should do. You'll figure it out.

mrmike48/4000
03-21-2006, 20:18
WOW!! this reminds me of myself torn between the exact set of circumstances. my ultimate dream is to thruhike the whole trail start to finish in one stretch but my 2 kids growing up has put my trip off for a few more yrs. my son is 12 and daughter 9. i belive they both still need me around most times so my hike is put off till my daughter is at least 10[kidding]. well im not sure when my hike will happen but it will. as for now i do alot of 1 or 2 week hikes max and this gives me the relief i need from the everday hustle.. depending how old your kids are, i would say go if they are all over 15 stay home if they are younger...maybe do a month in june or july.. i dont know cant decide myself... good luck with the decision....nitewalker

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 20:19
I'm not a lady, but, I do play one on TV and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Jim, count your many blessings one by one. I know you're blessed if your wonderful wife tells you to go hiking and she'll be there when you get back. Come join me on Rocky Bald this weekend and we can talk and meet thru hikers and enjoy nature.

saimyoji
03-21-2006, 20:20
I may be in the same boat as you, Jim, before too long. I agree with BJ: resign before they can can you. Resignation always looks better on your CV that being fired. I also agree with max. Take a break, clear your head, walk for a few weeks. With kids at home and money tight...you gotta own up to your responsibility. The moment you have kids, and I do, your life is no longer your own until your kids are raised and can support themselves.

Having said all this, the last place I would solicit advice of this kind of importance would be on a public internet forum.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what happens.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 20:36
My first AF boss gave me some advice.
- Take care of yourself first. If you're not healthy and don't have your head screwed on, you can't take care of anything else.
- Take care of your family second. If the people you care about (and that support you when you need it) aren't safe and healthy, you won't be concentrating on work.
- Take care of your job. With you and your family taken care of, there should be nothing holding you back.

(Obviously in specific cases the mission comes first, but as a general rule I like what he said.)

Your first responsibility is to make sure you're healthy enough to take care of your family. If you think a hike will make you healthier (mentally, to be a better father and husband), then go. Sounds like your wife knows what you need, too - if she and your kids support you, why are you still reading?

Maybe set a short goal so you have to be on the trail for a length of time - say 30 days, or even hike to Damascus, and then decide with your family what to do from there. That may force you to work through some of your issues even when you feel like going home in that first slump.

Whatever you choose, have fun with it.

max patch
03-21-2006, 20:36
Having said all this, the last place I would solicit advice of this kind of importance would be on a public internet forum.

Nows thats probably the best advice you're gonna get.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 20:40
Resignation always looks better on your CV that being fired.

But you might lose the severance package, if that's a possibility.

soad
03-21-2006, 20:43
Go hiking for a few weeks, then maybe take the wife and kids someplace fun for a while (taking care of the family). Then find a job that makes you happy.

Shutterbug
03-21-2006, 20:52
What would you do? Share with me and I promise to let you know how it comes out.

Jim

When I was your age, I faced was in a similar situation -- out of work with a plan to work at least 10 more years.

1. I figured my first obligation was to find a good job -- one that was good for 10 years.
2. I also figured that it was the first time in many when I didn't have to show up for work. My days were free.

I set up an answering machine and a fax machine as my "office." I sent out lots of resumes. I called every headhunter I knew and told them I was looking. I let all of my friends know that I was looking for work.

After I got my resume out there, I took off. I did a lot of hiking, took trips in the car and generally enjoyed myself. I checked the answering machine and the fax machine every few days and followed up on opportunities.

When I got bored, I volunteered to work for my church.

The bottom line -- it isn't necessary to choose between taking a hike and lookiing for a job. You can do both. Just don't accept the first job that comes along unless it is one you really want.

Rendezvous01
03-21-2006, 21:14
On your deathbed you will not look back and wish that you could have spent more days at the office.

If your wife says go, then go: she knows best. But talk to her frequently from the Trail, and the kids, too. When they say come home, come home. And if you can get them to come out for a day, a week, a month to share the Trail with you and help you clarify your future, then that will be good, too.

Several years ago I was in a similar situation--my job was becoming more tedious (not about to end, however); I needed a change. I had always wanted to hike the AT, my wife gave me permission. I went. The time on the Trail was great for me, not so wonderful for the soloing parent (two kids, 9 and 13) back home. She never said "Come home!", but I could tell that that was what she wanted. So, after slightly more than half the Trail, I caught a Greyhound for home. Regrets? A few. Right decision? Absolutely. Has my life since then changed for the better. Again, absolutely.

Go out for a definite week or month. To Damascus would be a great plan. And from there, take it one section at a time.

One more thought: don't head for the Trail tomorrow. Get those honey-dos around the house done. Prepare for returning to the work world by updating your resume and talking to the appropriate job counselors. Take your time to get organized for your hike. Aim, say, for April 1st. You may possibly change your mind after spending more time at home with the family over the next week, and realize that maybe running away to the Trail isn't the best thing for your right now. But, more likely, you will determine that it is meant to be at this point in your life.

Best of luck, Jim!

Almost There
03-21-2006, 21:16
Let'em fire you...take a severance package or unemployment...and go!!! Listen to your wife!!!

Bilko
03-21-2006, 21:19
What? You are 52 years old with 3 children at home with a wife that works. Somewhere you already made your decision. You have a responsibility to them. To take off for a week or 6 months, no way. 50 years of baggage, what did you think was going to happen when you reached 52. You cannot go out and find happiness. It is not located on some trail. Happiness is within, you can never go out and find it. You make it. Don't think that after you hike, life will be wonderful. You owe your family a father and a husband. Tough Love, Brother.

If a short vacation between jobs is what you need, fine. Relax a little and get your bearings straight may be good for you. But, to think life is smooth for everyone or anyone is incorrect thinking. We all have it rough at times. You have plenty of years ahead of you. Sorry to bust your dreams, but your family comes first. I believe people should not desert their ideals, but you do have a family.

BTW, I'm 53 years old, have 4 children. Like gets tough at times.I'm a school administrator, love the trail and take section hikes in the summer. Good Luck with your decision.

bigmac_in
03-21-2006, 21:21
Dude - listen to what EVERYONE has said. If your WIFE says you need to go, you need to go. Obviously, she cares about you and knows what will be best for you. And you know what, SHE'S RIGHT! You have the support of your wife, accept it. My guess is - after a week or two you'll feel better and will have had enough time to think things through. Then you'll know what your next step is. For now, I'd say your next step should be on that first White Blaze.................

Oklahoma 98
03-21-2006, 22:59
Jim
Eight years ago my wife and daughters gave me permission to thru hike the AT. It was a difficult decision for me. My wife and daughters had always come first and I felt selfish for even thinking about leaving for 6 months. I had worked at the same job for 20 years and was burned out. We didn't have alot of money but we would be all right for 6 months. Both of my daughters had graduated college the year before and my wife had a job.My situation was a little different from yours but the feelings I had at that time I think were very similar to what you are feeling now.
Can a long hike help? Yes it most certainly can. It did me. If your family is supportive and financially ok for a while you owe it them and yourself to go for a long walk. I wish you and your family the best.

Moxie00
03-22-2006, 09:50
If you are "let go" chances are you will get a severance package and be eligable for unemployment compensation for six months or more. GO FOR IT. Once you have finished you will be a much more attractive job canidate to prospective employers who will admire your accomplishment. The trail will clear your mind. I had taken an early retirement when I hiked and I actually got several job offers from people I talked to in trail towns along the way. When I finished I took a "no brain" job as a school bus driver and I have never been happier and more at peace with myself.
Being "let go" of fired is no discrace. Prospective employers realize that some people just don't fit into some jobs and an interview "a bad fit" usually explains why you were asked to leave. Also today many businesses are cutting back people and some really good people find themself out of work. The trail will do you a world of good, take a chance, your mother did and look what she got.

ZEKE #2
03-22-2006, 09:54
GO! Check in as much as possible. What is the worse that can happen? Things are rough at home and you return to your loved ones? You find yourself on the trail and decide to return home before you complete the hike because you find that your plffice:smarttags" />ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Life is good! Good luck to you.<O:p></O:p>

maxNcathy
03-22-2006, 09:54
Hi Jim,

Maybe you would like to do something like I did 20 yrs ago.

I took a year off work and wanted to get away from home for a month so to toured out west on my motorcycle...My 8 yr old son wanted to come so we went.I took him out of school and we headed out camping as we went for over 3 weeks and 6000 miles. We had a great adventure together.The month from school was no big deal...today he is aerospace engineer.
My wife stayed home with our other 2 young boys and did fine without us.
If we had Grandkids now Cathy and I would probably take one of them with us hiking next month on the AT.

With 3 kids you could hike 10 days with each one and trade off at the trail towns.What a blast...maybe your wife would join after them for a week! By then the kids would be okay at home alone tenting and cooking out together in the back yard. hahahaha

God bless you in all you do, Max

ZEKE #2
03-22-2006, 09:56
GO! Check in as much as possible. What is the worse that can happen? Things are rough at home and you return to your loved ones? You find yourself on the trail and decide to return home before you complete the hike because you find that your pl<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PersonName w:st=ac</st1:PersonName>e is at home with your family. When I wrestle with deep important "matters of the heart" I go somewhere quiet and listen to my heart and soul. They never lie to me. Somehow when I complete the journey everything becomes "apparent" to me. I just know the "right thing to do". It sounds like you have a wonderful supportive wife who already knows that no matter what happens, everything is going to be just as it should be.
Life is good! Good luck to you.

ZEKE #2
03-22-2006, 09:58
GO! Check in as much as possible. What is the worse that can happen? Things are rough at home and you return to your loved ones? You find yourself on the trail and decide to return home before you complete the hike because you find that your pl
Life is good! Good luck to you.

(having trouble with this post)
GO! Check in as much as possible. What is the worse that can happen.Things are rough at home and you return to your loved ones.You find yourself on the trail and decide to return home before you complete the hike because you find that your pl<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PersonName w:st=ac</st1:PersonName>e is at home with your family. When I wrestle with deep important matters of the heart I go somewhere quiet and listen to my heart and soul. They never lie to me. Somehow when I complete the journey everything becomes "apparent" to me. I just know the right thing to do. It sounds like you have a wonderful supportive wife who already knows that no matter what happens, everything is going to be just as it should be. Life is good! Good luck to you.<O:p></O:p>

squirrel bait
03-22-2006, 10:10
Rain, snow, sleet, trying to keep 45 kids in line, split schedule, 9 to 11 ton vehicle 35 foot long, CDL with passsenger endorsement, low pay, high tension, rules of the road, laws on discipline of disruptive children, short budget, long hours, somehow bus driving doesn't seem a no brainer job to me. Anyhoo, go for it bro. Keep in touch with your family and see how it goes. Good luck.

AbeHikes
03-22-2006, 13:28
You're on a hiking forum asking if you should go hike.

Talk about a baited field...

Hike, good sir.

Mother Nature
03-22-2006, 14:35
For what it's worth here is what I did when faced with the same situation.

My husband got caught in the crossfire of a major merger in 2001. Times were hard then to find a job in anything let alone another high level job in his field but he tried for about a year. Reflecting on what he "always wanted to do" he decided to just take a job as a low level accountant or school teacher. No one wanted him at a lower level position because he had too much experience. He couldn't even substitute teach as they already had about 100 applicants in the same boat.

Our "plan" had been to retire when he was 65. We had set things in motion by purchasing our retirement home. So at 60 he decided to just cash in his chips and moved up to our mountain cabin to clear his head. He stayed there full time to volunteer help with the construction of a local firestation.

After a year it got old seeing him about 3 days a month. My job required I work 11-14 days in a row without a day off. That got old too.

We both took a look at our finances and decided that we would never be able to take cruises or live in the lap of luxury.. but we could be happy. Even though I would need to work 6 more years to receive medical benefits I quit my job and we both hit the trail together.

We were fortunate to have grown children and the freedom to just pick up and take off from life. I don't regret it at all.

If you are supported by your wife, the children are old enough to understand what's happening and financially it won't make you lose your home and happiness.. then I say GO for it! Involve the kids all along the way. Have them mail packages, call them, send cards.. and have FUN! No matter how far you make it on the trail you will have memories forever.

Mother Nature

JimSproul
03-22-2006, 18:26
Well friends the axe fell today about 3:15 Dallas time. They are going to pay me a little severance and for accrued vacation. Not too bad.

Momma and I looked at the schedule and I can get in 4 or 5 weeks between the 1st grade play and my Senior's graduation. I will probably head for Georgia on April 7th or 8th.

Many thanks to all who commented. It was fun to read and it helped me deal with the tension.

Now, I have to ask. Should I take my Dog?

JUST KIDDING!!! Please DON"T START IT AGAIN....................... :banana

See ya up the trail

- Jim

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 18:33
Now, I have to ask. Should I take my Dog?

JUST KIDDING!!! Please DON"T START IT AGAIN....................... :banana

See ya up the trail

- Jim

Hahahahahahahaha! You're gonna make out just fine with a sense of humor like that. Have fun, Jim.

Moxie00
03-22-2006, 20:02
God bless you Jim. I started April 7th and made it and I am old and slow so you have 6 months and 9 days before Katakdin closes to campers so you have plenty of time. By all means take your dog but try to have it eaten by Neels Gap as you will be able to re supply there. Dog is excellent with a little wasabi sauce. Good luck and give it all you got. You have an excellent attitude and if you want to come to Maine when you finish I can get you a job as a school bus driver.

saimyoji
03-22-2006, 21:40
Hope you burned the place to the ground, or at least stole a stapler.

'Yeah...so if you could just go ahead and, uh..., do that, that would be, uh.., super.'

You gotta do what ya gotta do.

Go get em. :p

Just Jeff
03-22-2006, 21:42
I bet Swingline stock skyrocketed after that movie!

Marta
03-22-2006, 22:56
A couple of years ago my husband went through what you are facing. There is a lot of anger and unhappiness, even if you have come to hate the job you are losing. That is not the best baggage to carry with you while looking for another job. If your wife says to take a hike, and you can manage it financially, by all means GO!

Disney
03-22-2006, 23:31
Carpe Diem.

longshank
03-23-2006, 02:33
Hello Fellow Whiteblazers -

I have browsed and enjoyed this web site since September of 2003. I seldom miss a day, I usually pass through several times in a day. Some of you seem like friends, others more like scary neighbors, it has been a place I have enjoyed. PLEASE NOTE: I have NOT put this tread in the straight forward forum because I would like to hear what you have to say, on topic or off.

It looks like I will be out of work as of 4pm tomorrow. I have been "sent for", as they say in the mob movies. I would like your 2 cents on where I go from here.

I am 52, have 5 kids, but only 3 still at home. My wife works and has a salary about equal to mine but still it is not always easy to pay all the bills each month.

I feel weighted down by 50 years of baggage. The long unresolved issues, pains and disappointments that somehow carry more weight then the many happy times, successes and great things I have been blessed with. I am MORE than ready to put down that baggage but have not found a way that works for me. I have worked with counselors and tried various approaches.

A few years ago I took a backpacking trip that ended with 11 days on the trail at Philmont in Cimarron, New Mexico. When I came down off that final ridge, there was no baggage heavier than the few pounds in my backpack. I felt joy and relief for several months after. I lived a far better and more vibrant life since.

Unfortunately I fell back into some old ruts, lived my old patterns, and picked up the old baggage once again. The burden and effect of that baggage is that I live my life in a manner that does do provide my family with the kind of husband and father I think I could give them. I know the problem is not people or places. I know that the problems are under my hat. I know that I can live better than I live today.

Here is the question. My wife thinks, and in my heart so do I, that if I get fired tomorrow I should head to Springer and get a little therapy. Should I go? Maybe not 6 months but perhaps it will be. We would decide later. I have all I need and can buy food as needed. I have the skills and experience. I am healthy enough to get by until I get into hiking shape.

Have I gone off the edge? I am compounding the problems? I am finally dealing with life's real issues? Will I be able to handle them knowing how large they can loom alone in a tent at the end of a long wet hard day? Am I running away?

sometimes one finds answers where he least expects to, or long after the fact is he able to assimilate and realized how his experiences have changed him and formed him. best to follow your feelings, they are the purest guide. Sometimes it seems risky, but foolow the voice that only you know, the one oyu don't share with anyone. Never fear change, without change, there can be no progress. without progress, life ends.

longshank
03-23-2006, 02:34
"When you stop dreaming its time to die"--Shannon Hoon.

longshank
03-23-2006, 02:38
I'm planning to walk away from everything I know, everything I've built for myself, because I see a way of life that makes me happy in a way nothing else ever has...A way to be free, to be pure. I can no longer put it off, no longer deny my craving for tha life. I'm willing to walk away from it all to feel right. To be it, not just a passing dream. You will know what to do when it's time. Don't pass it up. LIVE.

lobster
03-24-2006, 12:42
Age of kids at home? You might have posted it somewhere in all those posts, but I think it might be relevant.

icemanat95
03-24-2006, 12:49
If the bills can be met while you go and get your head straightened out for a bit, then go and hike. You can make a section hike or frequent weekend hikes a part of your regular mental therapy program. Get it jump started with an intensive session.

Doctari
03-24-2006, 14:33
Assuming your employment predictions came true, I have to ask:

Why are you still home????

GO GO GO GO GO!!!!

Don't know how un-employmet works where you live, but here in Ohio it's all done by mail or internet, once you sign up. That should supliment your wifes income and allow you to hike uninterupted for a while anyway.

I could literally be out the door in under 10 minutes if given the chance, , , today! I even have a plan in place for doing so.

Doctari.

weary
03-24-2006, 16:59
Jim - why the heck wouldn't you go??
That's my vote also. Go for it. And try to make Katahdin. Just recoognize that unless you are very lucky or very talented, expect down sized job prospects when you return to home and family.

But if I read your query properly that is likely whether you hike or not. If anything a six month walk in the woods will improve rather than diminish your prospects.

Weary

rhjanes
03-24-2006, 18:02
Hi Jim,
Well, I've been cut a few times. It depends on your kids and your financial situation. You will be spending money while gone, miss the kids at home, and not have an income. Just something to consider.

Let us know. Maybe the "talk" was about your next raise!

Ray

Sly
03-24-2006, 18:42
As long as your wife and kids are able to handle your absense, I would go for the thru-hike!

Stay in touch, but not everyday which would spoil the mystique. Rather from towns where you could phone and send a video of your hike and/or post a journal. Keep them involved with your progress, maildrops, uploading photos or transcribing your journal . Make them think they have the coolest Dad who's hiking the Appalachian Trail, which or course, they will.

If there were ever a time for you to hike the trail, this is it.

walkin' wally
03-24-2006, 19:25
"When you stop dreaming its time to die"--Shannon Hoon.

I guess he stopped dreaming huh?

"Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind..aint life unkind?"--Mick Jagger

brancher
03-24-2006, 19:29
Jim, I am almost your age, spent the first 20 or so years of my life outdoors and the last 30 or so behind a computer. Frankly, I do not hate my career or my job, and I have a lot to be thankful for - my kids'll go to college, I am healthy, and I'm still getting paid. But there is not a day that goes by that I don't wish I was in the position to take some mental R&R and doing a thru or at least half. Maybe not 6 months, but enough to matter. I can't. Alas, I can only do a week or so at a time for a few more years - and those pictures of Katahdin will have to do for awhile.

Someone on this string said something about your life not being your own, but maybe you can squeeze a little out for yourself. That's what I'm doing, a bit at a time. I'm getting ready to a week's walk right now - if you want to join me, let me know.

Sometimes it's about the balance.

docllamacoy
03-25-2006, 14:02
Go for it. That way there will never be a "What if...?".

neo
03-25-2006, 14:47
sounds good to me man:cool: neo

Catsgoing
03-25-2006, 14:57
Life is short! Go Go Go " The AT is just a dream now for me" "My Health Won't Allow me to go"
So get those hiking boots on and hit the trail you have nothing to feel guilty about you don't need permission. You Are Your Own Person Do What You Feel Within" Your Wife already gave you her blessing so hit the trail and take in the smallest gifts of Mother Earth...

lbbrown
03-25-2006, 15:05
You will more likely regret something you didn't do rather than regret something you did do. HOYH.