PDA

View Full Version : Book talk planned for Thursday (Indiana)

Tin Man
03-21-2006, 21:52
Book talk planned for Thursday
‘A Walk in the Woods'draws early interest among community

By William Fouts

Posted: 03/21/06 - 11:19:17 am EST

A stack of “A Walk in the Woods” books is displayed as customers enter Barnes & Noble Booksellers. It was unveiled as the title of Noblesville’s inaugural One Book, One Community program Feb. 25. Photo by Robert Herrington / Staff writer-photographer

Staff writer

The Noblesville Library will host the first of two open discussions Thursday on this year's “One Book, One Community” selection, “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson. Thursday's discussion begins at 7 p.m. at the Noblesville Library.

The “One Book, One Community” program was created by the American Library Association. The goal of the program is to promote literacy and community unity by selecting a book for residents to read and discuss together.

“A Walk in the Woods” was selected by a committee consisting of Mayor John Ditslear, library officials and representatives from Noblesville Schools and the Noblesville Parks and Recreations Department.

The book tells the story of Bryson's attempt to reconnect to America after living in England for 20 years by hiking the 2,100 mile Appalachian Trail. Along the way, he encounters memorable characters and discovers his own strengths and limitations and that life is a journey not a destination.

Librarian Trudy Timkovich will lead Thursday's session. The audience with determine what direction the conversation takes based on how far the majority has read into the book and what their responses will be to a series of discussion questions.

“They are general questions that will promote discussion. Also to promote people talking about their own similar type of experiences that they've had,” Timkovich said. “This book is primarily with the Appalachian Trail, but we can get into talking about other experiences people have had at other parks on other vacation trips that they've had. So, it relates to their own experience too.”

Hundreds of communities throughout the country participate in “One Book, One Community” each year. This is Noblesville's first year in the program. Indications are promising that the community is getting behind the program. Checkout requests for a “A Walk in the Woods” have been steady.

Ditslear kicked off the series of activities Feb. 25 with an unveiling at Barnes & Noble Booksellers. Store Manager Stephanie Straiger said she could not give specific sales.

“It's selling very well. We had a great response the day of the unveiling and we have a lot of people asking us questions about programs that will be happening in the community,” Straiger said.

In addition to Thursday's discussion, the library will welcome Elgan Carter 7 p.m. Monday. Carter, from New Castle, hiked the trail and created a video presentation of his adventure.

A second open discussion is scheduled for 7 p.m. April 19. The community program will conclude on April 29 with a final celebration at Forest Park that will include family hikes.

If You Go:

What: Book discussion on “A Walk in the Woods”

When: 7 p.m. March 23

Where: Noblesville Public Library 1 Library Plaza

LINK (http://www.thenoblesvilletimes.com/articles/2006/03/21/news/front_page_news/front63.txt)

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 22:01
Oh boy. Hordes of Hoosiers converging on Springer. :D

Mike
03-22-2006, 08:22
Oh boy. Hordes of Hoosiers converging on Springer. :D

I prefer Boilermaker.....

Since I live in Noblesville, one would think that this would be a good opportunity for me.... However, I feel that I would bring a very negative perspective to that book chat.

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 08:38
I prefer Boilermaker.....

Since I live in Noblesville, one would think that this would be a good opportunity for me.... However, I feel that I would bring a very negative perspective to that book chat.

Right. Boatloads of Boilermakers pouring into Springer, then. ;)

bigmac_in
03-22-2006, 08:46
I'd be surprised to see many more hoosiers showing up at Springer - for the most part we're not that active. :-)

Hiking isn't a major sport in Indiana.

rambunny
03-28-2006, 15:51
Says who? You seem to know the Hoosier thing pretty well.