PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Muck Boots

Gambit McCrae
12-09-2020, 14:25
Anyone with experience here?

illabelle
12-09-2020, 14:38
I don't know Gambit. I haven't seen other hikers wearing them. Somebody might think you were a newbie or somethin'.
https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/15MBOMMNCHRSTBLCKFBO_Black?qlt=70&wid=600&fmt=pjpeg

randy.shopher
12-09-2020, 14:54
Heavy, not very durable, not really made for long hikes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

JNI64
12-09-2020, 15:05
You want mukluks like shug wears in Minnesota at -40 .

Apollo117
12-09-2020, 15:08
I think you'd be much better off with a pair of water proof treated leather or synthetic hiking boots.

Muck boots have their place, but they don't provide enough support to be comfortable for a long hike.

Gambit McCrae
12-09-2020, 15:12
I don't know Gambit. I haven't seen other hikers wearing them. Somebody might think you were a newbie or somethin'.

I am a newbie...or somethin'

SoaknWet
12-09-2020, 15:22
Only it they're steel toed.

Tipi Walter
12-09-2020, 15:25
I spent a couple years (1982-83) backpacking in Sorel pack boots and while warm and mostly waterproof they are CLUNKY to hike in and just slowed me down. Great for living outdoors in the winter, not so great for long term backpacking.

Plus, a forgotten fact---These rubber type boots can cause bad toe infections over time as the feet don't breathe.

TNhiker
12-09-2020, 15:53
i say if you like to hike in them, knowing all the pro's and con's, who gets a rat's butt what other people think........

Gambit McCrae
12-09-2020, 16:04
I should have added:
Distance: around 30 miles
Duration:2.5-3 days
Season: Strictly winter

JNI64
12-09-2020, 16:25
Gambit Google mukluk and look at the men's arctic.
Shug said at -40 he had two pairs of socks on and had cold feet ,but then he looked at the recommended way to wear them from mukluk and they said one pair recommended, he took one pair off and was toasty warm sitting around camp at -40 .
And he says they're nice to hike in with snowshoeing and spikes

soilman
12-09-2020, 16:43
I have a pair of the chore model pictured above. I wear them in the rain and snow on the trail on my property when I walk the dogs. I only hike about 1 mile. I would not want to wear them with a pack and for a long distance. They do not fit as well as a pair of hiking shoes/boots.

TJ aka Teej
12-09-2020, 18:16
I've done about 60 miles total in Orkney and Caithness in wellies, but only because walking conditions required them.

Cheyou
12-09-2020, 20:01
How about bunny boots ?

thom

needlefish
12-09-2020, 21:17
i've hunted in them, after a couple of miles of walking i wish i had something else on my feet

gpburdelljr
12-09-2020, 21:24
We used to put Sno-Seal on leather boots.

JNI64
12-10-2020, 00:05
How about bunny boots ?

thom

Wasn't familiar had to Google. Good enough for the US Armed Forces!!

Traveler
12-10-2020, 07:43
Keeping an eye on footgear, like Illabele I have not seen any hikers wearing this type of footgear especially on long hikes, but experimentation is in the hiker DNA.

FWIW, my experience with this kind of boot is after about a half mile of rough ground walking they get too clunky and seem to find all kinds of things to stumble or scuff trip on and became too uncomfortable to serve much purpose in hiking. I find they are best used as "chore boots" in water and mud environments.

Leo L.
12-10-2020, 09:57
Had been on a short visit to Sweden mid-October this year, and intended to do a 2-3 days hike in the mountains.
When I was on-site up the mountains, I skipped the idea of hiking due to the conditions: Water everywhere and in any possible condition, swamp, mud, rivers, ponds and lakes, dew, snow&ice, trails going straight through puddles balacing on planks half-drowned, and so on.
I had my usual leather desert boots and have been totally soaked after just 2 hrs walking.
Met other hikers who did short daytrips wearing rubber boots of all kinds.
Later we went to a sport shop and the shelfs were full of all kind of waterproof boots, ranging from cheap worker-style rubber boots to full blown Lundhags.

If I was to go hiking up there sometimes, I'd go and get some Lundhags or similar.
I'd never intend to do real hiking in worker-style rubber boots.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2020, 12:05
Well, if your mucking out a dairy barn, those boots are the thing to get.

JPritch
12-10-2020, 12:50
I should have added:
Distance: around 30 miles
Duration:2.5-3 days
Season: Strictly winter

I guess if you're expecting to trudge through a foot of snow the whole way some boots may be in order. I would think regular hiking boots and maybe even your regular hiking shoes would be fine. This might be where gaiters come in handy too. I did a short trip last winter through snow about ankle deep in some places in my trail runners and my feet were never an issue.

gpburdelljr
12-10-2020, 12:59
Has anyone ever worn Bean Boots for wet/snowy hiking?

Alligator
12-10-2020, 17:53
If you are looking for a good winter hiking boot, plan to look after winter when retailers are clearing out inventory When you want and need them, they're usually full price.

Winter boots for chores and work aren't typically hiker friendly. Usually too heavy and don't breathe well. If you are used to lightweight shoes, the extra weight can really wear on you in different ways, joints in particular like knees and hips. Usually nice and warm though!

Venchka
12-10-2020, 21:00
The first time that we were allowed our and about after the Covid hit, I went shopping for winter boots in West Jefferson, NC.
I found a pair of Hanwag Yukon boots. Full leather. Inside and out. Vibram Lug Soles. I went up 1 1/2 sizes and WIDE width. Several coats of wax and Sno-Seal. Filled them up with my favorite Darn Tough socks. It was like a trip in a time machine. Back to the good old days when I backpacked in an oversized pair of Fabiano Rio boots. Just right!
I want some SNOW! I have been out in wet mud and foot deep wet leaves. We need snow!
Real boots work! No Gore-Tex on my feet!
Wayne

Tipi Walter
12-10-2020, 21:22
The first time that we were allowed our and about after the Covid hit, I went shopping for winter boots in West Jefferson, NC.
I found a pair of Hanwag Yukon boots. Full leather. Inside and out. Vibram Lug Soles. I went up 1 1/2 sizes and WIDE width. Several coats of wax and Sno-Seal. Filled them up with my favorite Darn Tough socks. It was like a trip in a time machine. Back to the good old days when I backpacked in an oversized pair of Fabiano Rio boots. Just right!
I want some SNOW! I have been out in wet mud and foot deep wet leaves. We need snow!
Wayne

Back in 1982 I drank the kool aid and bought a pair of Chippewa -40F boots from Footsloggers in Boone and they got me thru one winter of backpacking before the soles tore off---

But I felt official for several months.

Leo L.
12-11-2020, 04:25
Wayne
Hanwag. Really famous stuff. If you wanted to have boots to last for the rest of your life, you look for Hanwag.
And when sometimes your Hanwags fail to serve you any longer, they still can be put to good use:

jigsaw
12-11-2020, 10:58
i too have the muck chore version.great boots around the house,but not to hike in.bunny boots i have the black ones (mickey mouse)
i got them for outside construction work.warmest boots ever but your legs will be whoooped by days end.i use em for ice fishin now,be careful driving those things are super wide i hit the clutch and brakes at the same time and almost put my head thru the windshield.id go with gore-tex boots gaiters and heated socks

Venchka
12-11-2020, 19:00
Back in 1982 I drank the kool aid and bought a pair of Chippewa -40F boots from Footsloggers in Boone and they got me thru one winter of backpacking before the soles tore off---

But I felt official for several months.
Footsloggers in Boone is no more.
The Mast General Stores in Wautauga County cater to Backpackers.
Wayne

Staystrong
12-13-2020, 08:39
'I guess if you're expecting to trudge through a foot of snow (https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-electric-snow-blower/) the whole way some boots may be in order. I would think regular hiking boots and maybe even your regular hiking shoes would be fine. This might be where gaiters come in handy too. I did a short trip last winter through snow about ankle deep in some places in my trail runners and my feet were never an issue.'

Yep, I completely agree with that! I did the same a couple of times and everything was good.

Dropdeadfred
12-13-2020, 09:40
https://www.danner.com/fort-lewis-10-black.html

Was also ones made by matterhorn, although looks like they ae discontinued. These were the Bees knees that all the cool kids had in Germany. Humped many a hill and dale in the winter in these during my infantry days.

Leo L.
12-13-2020, 10:26
https://www.danner.com/fort-lewis-10-black.html

Was also ones made by matterhorn, although looks like they ae discontinued. These were the Bees knees that all the cool kids had in Germany. Humped many a hill and dale in the winter in these during my infantry days.

Apply red chords instead of the black ones, and you'll be really cool today (if a bit right-winged, you dont mind).
Actually those are pretty similar to the Austrian military winter boots I'm using for snowshoeing (far-right on the pic)

RockDoc
12-15-2020, 18:30
My wife and I bought these for backpacking in Iceland (Hornstrandir) two years ago. We were expecting heavy rain and deep muskeg, worst case. Ended up walking maybe 10 miles in them, with heavy packs. Didn't like them, wearing socks inside. Chewed my feet up. Sold them on eBay when we returned...
Probably a great product if you own a farm but not so much for hiking.

volleypc
12-17-2020, 12:34
Living in Alaska I have hiked many miles in muck boots, but mainly the ones that are about 12 inches high. Go with trail runners. I am constantly in and out of boats, in tundra, etc which is why I wear them. Definitely not needed on the A.T.

bjd002
12-22-2020, 12:26
I think it would be brutal