PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerunners and caretakers

DawnTreader
03-22-2006, 02:42
Are any of you whiteblazers currently or formerly employed as ridgerunner or caretaker? Tell me about your experience... I have been up and down the trail in new england, and can't think of a better way to spend a summer, besides thru-hiking off course...however, I would rather be making money on the trail then spending money I don't have.. hehe.. I am seriously considering this opportunity in the future and would like a little imput from those more experienced...

sliderule
03-22-2006, 09:00
can't think of a better way to spend a summer, besides thru-hiking off course.

Off course thru-hiking? Is that anything like blue blazing?

SideWedge
03-22-2006, 11:01
I've spent a couple years employed on trail maintenance crews, but have worked alongside caretakers/ridgerunners frequently over the last few summers. I'm not sure about other clubs, but the Green Mountain Club in Vermont has a volunteer caretaker program, which lets you "try" out the job for a week or a month, however much time you have. I don't think you get paid, but you'll probably get a stipend for food. Try it out, and if you decide its for you then you can apply for an actual position next summer. I'm sure a lot of organizations would let you volunteer for a week or two to get a feel for the job.

colbys
03-22-2006, 19:59
im actually trying to be a ridgerunner for this season.i was told that i was not hired but nowthere are positions still open for va.
being a former thru-hiker i would give my left arm to be a part of the at fora summer,altough not a high paying job,just to be getting paid to hike the trail would be great.