PDA

View Full Version : pack for 32-38

Peanut
03-22-2006, 09:00
Hello! I have been borrowing a pack for the backpacking trips I've been on and now am ready to invest in my own, especially because I'll be doing the Long Trail this summer. I have not yet measured my torso, which I know I need to do, but I do know my approx. pack weight (minus the pack right now, of course). It will be between 32.9 lbs and 38.3 (for hikes with a tent, although I'm prob. not bringing it on the LT). I've seen posts and researched the Oprey Ariel/Aether as well as Vapor Trail and was wondering what you thought of those, as well as if you have any other ideas. I've heard the Vapor Trail might not be able to hold my heavier load, but others have said it'll be okay at 35ish, so I thought I'd ask your opinion. Thanks for your help!
P.S. It might be helpful in this to note that I am a female.

Seeker
03-22-2006, 09:08
this isn't exactly 'advice on those packs', but i think it's important nonetheless:

take all your gear to an outfitter who carries those packs. this is the only way to see if it will all fit inside, what needs to be strapped outside, how easy (or hard) it is to do all of that, how the pack it fits your body, and how your body feels while carrying it. also, bring your food bag and some 'stuff' that weighs 8-10lbs, so you can 'add' 4-5 days worth of food to the load. water bottles should be full too. any serious outfitter (simply defined as 'i care about sellling you good gear that fits' vs 'i just want to sell you something') will let you do this.

Peanut
03-22-2006, 13:41
Thanks, that is on my list of things to do, I just like going into the store with a game plan, although I'm flexible about changing that if I need to, once inside and am trying them on. I guess I am mostly looking for advice related to the weight I am carrying and then I'll try them on when I get to the store. Thanks for that advice!

Trail Yeti
03-22-2006, 15:05
the vapor trail will hold up to 35....I've actually held more in it...but the comfort level goes down. Instead of a VT try a Nimbus Ozone...its got he frame to carry more if needed.