PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive material found under N.Y. plant

vipahman
03-22-2006, 13:42
Check out this article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11952919/

Updated: 11:23 a.m. ET March 22, 2006

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - High levels of a radioactive material — nearly three times the amount permitted in drinking water — were found in groundwater near the Hudson River beneath a nuclear plant, the owner said Tuesday.
The groundwater does not intersect drinking supplies, and although the strontium-90 is believed to have reached the Hudson it would be safely diluted in the river, said Jim Steets, spokesman for Entergy Nuclear Northeast.
The strontium — which in high doses can cause cancer — was found in a well dug in a search for the source of a leak of radioactive water at the Indian Point complex, about 30 miles north of New York City.

The test well is among nine dug in an attempt to pinpoint the leak. Contaminated water was first found in August.
Entergy’s finding matched tests by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on the same sample, Steets said.
The sample also yielded tritium, another potential carcinogen, at levels well above the drinking water standard. High levels had been found earlier in another test well. The nuclear commission announced Monday that it would investigate releases of tritium at Indian Point and other plants.

<script></script><table class="boxH_brl" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="boxHC_brl" nowrap="true" width="*">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Regulatory agency response
NRC spokesman Neil Sheehan said Tuesday that the commission still believes that radioactivity in the water — given that it is not drinking water — is well below the level that would "pose a risk to public health and safety."
The sample from the well also found higher-than-normal levels of a third isotope, nickel-63, but those levels were under the drinking water standard, Steets said.
The test well, inside a turbine building, is among nine recently dug in an attempt to pinpoint the leak that is contaminating the groundwater. Contaminated water first was found in August on the outside of a spent-fuel pool for the Indian Point 2 reactor, but no leak has been found on the inside of the pool.
The new findings add to the uncertainty, Steets said.
"When we first got these findings we were scratching our heads because it does raise questions about what the source (of the leak) really is," Steets said.

‘Still all speculation’
For example, he said, the presence of nickel might point to the spent-fuel pool for Indian Point 1 rather than Indian Point 2 because those fuel assemblies had more steel and nickel-63 is formed in connection with steel.
"It's still all speculation," he added. "This is just one data point in a long process."
Entergy said water samples were taken at four depths in the well. Strontium levels, in picocuries per liter, were 2.4, 3.86, 18.2, and 22.7. The drinking water limit is 8.
Tritium, which becomes dangerous only at much higher concentrations than strontium, was found at 12,800, 14,700, 28,000 and 13,300 picocuries per liter. The drinking water limit is 20,000.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Footslogger
03-22-2006, 15:37
Tip of the iceberg. I believe that this is just one of many undiscovered timebombs.

'Slogger

Ender
03-22-2006, 16:30
Guess I won't go swimming in the Hudson this weekend.

Or maybe I will... I've seen Spiderman... I know what can happen, and it looks pretty cool.

Footslogger
03-22-2006, 17:08
Remember hiking past "Nuclear Lake" ??

'Slogger

Ender
03-22-2006, 17:35
Remember hiking past "Nuclear Lake" ??

'Slogger

Yep. Was even up there for a weekend hike last year. Pretty lake, though I wouldn't drink the water.

vipahman
03-22-2006, 19:17
Yep. Was even up there for a weekend hike last year. Pretty lake, though I wouldn't drink the water. C'mon, it's only a little strontium and tritium. :mad: So much for renewable energy with no greenhouse gases. :eek:

saimyoji
03-22-2006, 21:48
C'mon, it's only a little strontium and tritium. :mad: So much for renewable energy with no greenhouse gases. :eek:

But it will all dilute as it spreads out into the river....No Problem. :eek:

LIhikers
03-23-2006, 22:06
Gee, and I was wondering why the beaver in Nuclear Lake glowed in the dark. Now I know.

fiddlehead
03-23-2006, 22:15
I take back what i said (under the windmill thread) about possibly being able to eat the fish in America again someday.

SGTdirtman
03-23-2006, 23:40
C'mon, it's only a little strontium and tritium. :mad: So much for renewable energy with no greenhouse gases. :eek:

I never even knew tritium was bad, Now I understand why there is a biohazzard symbol on the back of my compass that says "controled disposal required"...

weary
03-24-2006, 10:11
I take back what i said (under the windmill thread) about possibly being able to eat the fish in America again someday.
"Strontium-90 is chemically similar to calcium, and tends to deposit in bone and blood-forming tissue (bone marrow). Thus, strontium-90 is referred to as a "bone seeker." Internal exposure to Sr-90 is linked to bone cancer, cancer of the soft tissue near the bone, and leukemia," according to an EPA website.

"Risk of cancer increases with increased exposure to Sr-90. The risk depends on the concentration of Sr-90 in the environment, and on the exposure conditions," the agency claims.

Weary

Lion King
03-24-2006, 10:29
What we dont know will kill us.
Pay attention to everything done and said and question it. Respect it, but dig deeper. Its our future as well as our kids, grandkids and on and on.

Ignorance doenst fix a thing.