PDA

View Full Version : Good place in North GA to meet thrus

shoe
03-22-2006, 14:49
Headed up to the mountains tomorrow for a day hike and was planning on taking a cooler of cokes...where would be the best to see some hiker traffic do you think.

I haven't planned on where I am hiking so any area is up for grabs

thanks
Melissa

Almost There
03-22-2006, 14:54
Cooper Gap, Woody Gap, Gooch Gap, Unicoi Gap, Dick's Creek Gap. All of these are great spots, I would leand towards Gooch Gap or Cooper Gap as they are not on main roads.

max patch
03-22-2006, 15:18
If my main objective was to meet hikers I'd probably head to Walasi-Yi at Neels Gap and hang out there.

If I wanted to actually hike and perhaps bump into hikers on the trail I'd have to consider Unicoi or Hogpen figuring that I might run into the group that started this weekend.

darkstar
03-22-2006, 15:23
All of the above are great suggestions. I would also add Neels Gap to the list. Usually a great place to see a bunch of thru hikers. I was up with my wife and son 2 weeks ago on Sunday. There was about 20 t-hikers at Mountain Crossings living it up for a little while. There is some great day hiking locations around there as well. Hope this helps ..

PS: Hey Almost There,
Where in Woodstck are you? I'm right next door to you in Acworth off bells ferry I guess the locals would pronounce it ack-erth.

Almost There
03-22-2006, 15:39
I should have clarified that it all depends on if you are looking to do a little magic. Big crossings you tend to compete with others...Darkstar I am in Woodstock near 92 and Sandy Plains road, or to be more specific, back off of Wiley Bridge Road.

Deerleg
03-22-2006, 17:36
Blue Ridge Gap is just south of the state line up (way up) Upper High-Tower Rd. outside Hiawassee. If you want to Hike north from there a couple of miles to Bly Gap—GA/NC State Line you may find a few tired hikers that just made the clime up from Dick’s gap and are ready to celebrate finishing their 1st state.
That would be about a 6-7 mile round trip day hike.

shoe
03-23-2006, 00:50
Thanks guys :)

I just got back from work and will decide. Will let you know how it goes.

I thought about Neel's Gap but would rather do something a little more remote

Almost There
03-23-2006, 15:42
You could do Tray Gap...there aren't too many remote places in Georgia.

shoe
03-23-2006, 16:41
Well I didn't mean remote as in no one around for miles :)
I meant not necessarily at a road crossing

I was planning on doing Indian Grave Gap but ended up at Unicoi Gap.

Met Poles, Grinds, and Chill Out...all nice people.
Drove Chill Out to Hiawasee Inn

It was a nice day of getting out and meeting some people

Big Oz
03-24-2006, 00:14
You could do Tray Gap...there aren't too many remote places in Georgia.How do I get to Tray Gap and High Tower trail crossings from Hiawassee?Also is ther a map of all these forest service rds?

Almost There
03-24-2006, 00:25
If you head north thru Unicoi Gap you will come to a forest service road on your right side. Should be 283, don't know if it's labeled but someone else should know. It will take you to 79, turn left and 79 goes right through Tray Gap, there is parking here. I've never driven up this way so I can't give you any physical markers off of 17/75(road thru Unicoi) The Georgia AT map has all the USFS roads marked.

Skidsteer
03-24-2006, 08:20
If you head north thru Unicoi Gap you will come to a forest service road on your right side. Should be 283, don't know if it's labeled but someone else should know. It will take you to 79, turn left and 79 goes right through Tray Gap, there is parking here. I've never driven up this way so I can't give you any physical markers off of 17/75(road thru Unicoi) The Georgia AT map has all the USFS roads marked.

The sign at the turn off 17/75 reads "High Shoals Scenic Area" or something close to that.

shoe
03-24-2006, 08:42
Also, if you keep heading to Helen on 17/75 all the way down the mountain you past Andrews Cove, past the Airstream park, you can make a direct left onto 79. It starts out paved but very quickly turns to a gravel road.

Tha Wookie
03-24-2006, 12:28
You could do Tray Gap...there aren't too many remote places in Georgia.

That's a good spot -and you could do the one-mile to the top for fun.

I've done magic there before.

galaleemc
03-25-2006, 19:36
Mel Gazelle

Another good spot for TM would be where the trail meets Left Mill Creek Road. This road is off Highway 17/75. Heading south from Hiawassee it would be to your left. The street sign at the same crossing to the right says Owl Creek. I do not believe there is a street sign for LMCreek. But you will be heading east.

Poles was here last night and got an early start.

The road to High Shoals is called Indian Grave Road. But there is no sign - except "high Shoals scenic area". Just south of 180 junction on Highway 17/75. (one of my favourite spots to hike around here).

Get a map for Georgia by a company named "Delorme" The only problem is - the map names roads and the actual roads sometimes only have numbers - such as 79 just north of Helen that on the map is Tray Mountain road. I have been up there in my VW Jetta that is not 4 wheel drive.

To get to Hightower crossing - I am not too sure if I would go unless you have 4 wheel drive. Some of the spots can be tricky. But from Hiawassee you head east towards Clayton GA UHT Road will be a left turn around Mile Marker 16-17. It is clearly marked with lots of "for sale" signs etc around it. It eventually turns to gravel...it is a pretty - interesting drive.

Or continue on Higway 76 towards Clayton from Hiaw to our place - the trout farm and Cloud9 Hiker Hostel, just before MM 19 on the right. just across the street from us you turn left (north) onto Barefoot road. The first right is Mr Bert road and that will take you to the AT and there is a parking lot area there too - that road is a little tricky too. This area is just about 1/2 mile north from Dicks Creek Gap.

We have made TM of hot chocolate at DCG for the last two days with this cold/snow/wind the last couple of days. We have seven again tonight as guests.

Deerleg has a great suggestion to go to the GA/NC border, but it will be less of a hike - carrying celebratory goodies from NC off Highway 64 Shooting Creek/Middle Ridge. You can see this on the Delorme maps of GA. People here talk about how great it will be to get through the first state! I know they would love to celebrate that.

Tha Wookie - FABULOUS SITE AND PHOTOS!

Stop by and say hello!

Laura
Cloud9