PDA

View Full Version : Go-lite Speed

ez-does-it
02-21-2003, 09:49
:banana
Hi I would like to know if anyone has the Go-Lite Speed backpack? And have you used it for any long distance backpacking? What did you like about it? What don't you like about it? If you could what would you change about this pack and why? Whay kind of weight did you carry? And anything else you could come with. Thank you for your answers.:)

Trail Yeti
02-21-2003, 12:10
EZ,
I carried a Speed on my thru-hike from NOC to Dalesville Va. I got rid of it at Trail Days but that was because Granite Gear gave me a pack to test...I'm all about the free gear.l
Anyway, I carried from 22-32 lbs in it. I really liked it, its a good little pack. If you are using the water filter bottles it has velcro straps on the shoulder straps to strap them to. The hipbelt is minimal, you can pad it w/extra socks like the G4, but that wasn't a problem for me. I did rip the "brain"(top loader) in the smokies and GoLite sent me a patch for it next day air. After that the zipper started to come unstitched and they gave me a new top at Trail Days. Overall I thought it was a good little pack. If you are lookin at lightweight packs check out the Granite Gear Virga which is exremely comparable to the speed as it has no frame sheet and its 40 dollars cheaper. Or if you are willing to take on another 8 oz look at the GG Vapor Trail- this is the pack I tested, good pack, and it has a frame!
I never used a pack cover w/either the speed or vapor trail, just put stuff in silnylon stuff sacks and a garbage disposal bag and my stuff never got wet, even in driving rain.
hope this helps.
Trail Yeti

ez-does-it
02-22-2003, 13:00
Trail Yeti,
thank you for that information.I have the Speed and I am going to use this for my thrid thru.And just wanted to know from other people as to what they thought about it.I was also going to go with out a pack cover and just use my sil-nylon stuff sacks.The card that came attached to the pack stated sil-nylon waterproof.I have a Nomad-Lite and that is sil-nylon and never ever got wet in it.So thanks for your reply.If you think of anything else let me know.

RagingHampster
02-22-2003, 13:53
I was also going to go with out a pack cover and just use my sil-nylon stuff sacks.
Me too, but I'm using the GoLite Breeze.

stranger
02-23-2003, 01:26
Hey EZ...Shut up and buy a Gregory Hahahaha! Hope things are good bro, and good luck on your 3rd thru. Miss ya!

Happy
03-04-2003, 10:01
EZ, saw "A-train" and "Mickey one-sock" Saturday night at Hawk Mountain shelter and they said hello and "A-train"said thanks for the pack buying help.