PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else suffer from........?

darkstar
03-22-2006, 15:59
Hikers' Anxiety? or as Collin Fletchers doctor says, Fletcheritus..

I'm getting out this weekend, finally, going to go hike some of the BMT, and I can't shake it....

I have the worst case " Hikers" anxiety right now, I'm about to burst. All I have been doing for the last week is thinking about this trip, getting on the trail and crusing. I have gone through my gear about 10 times. And you know I have even packed and unpacked and packed my pack several times, walking around in circles, waiting for the weekend. I have gone through everything several times. I could basically, pack my pack and be ready to go on friday. BUT I CAN'T. If i do that, I won't have anything to do tomorrow. I think my heart beat is already starting to pick up a little....

Does this happen to everyone? I hope so.... Well, maybe at least not to this extent. Thank my doctor for the xanax!

Seeker
03-22-2006, 16:19
yep... i get this REAL bad about once a month, more so when the weather's nicer... if i don't treat the symptoms, my wife tells me to go for the weekend... (nice wife.)

if i cant' get out for real, i get a "fix" by hanging my hammock in the back yard under the guise of 'testing' something... i do that almost every weekend, at least one night...

Mother's Finest
03-22-2006, 18:20
hey darkstar,
change that signature, should be "faring thee well now" In case Mr. Barlow comes across it......
peace
MF (obviously a fellow lover of the Good Ol' Grateful Dead)

Tractor
03-22-2006, 18:34
That's a yes but i don't have a 'script from a doc.

C-Stepper
03-23-2006, 09:12
Yep, I get anxious, too. I think if I got to get out more I'd be better, but, since I only get out once every 4-5 months, I have all that time to fret over the details.

But, one time I left my maps in my truck. I had taken them out of my pack, en-route, to look over at a restaurant while I was eating lunch. I found I was mapless after my shuttle dropped me off at the end OPPOSITE my truck--it was 80 miles away! :eek:

darkstar
03-23-2006, 15:23
Eighty miles without a map, ouch. Well, we're glad you found you way
C-Step.

My fletcheritus is really taking over right now. We leave tomorrow, and I can't seem to let it be, my pack that is. What the heck, I'm not hurting anyone by packing and unpacking and packing it a few more times.

Do you think my neighbors will think I'm a weirdo for walking around the neighborhood a few times with my pack on?....

darkstar--> Now where did I put my xanax bottle???

lobster
03-24-2006, 12:31
Walk around in funky-colored spandex with "Nordic Poles"!

icemanat95
03-24-2006, 13:16
I get anxious around just about any major event. I've got a major martial arts gathering coming up in another week. It's already starting to get to me. Screws up my digestion something awful. Once I get engaged on the dojo floor, I'm all set though.

Trail anxiety is the same. I'm usually nervous and jumpy until my feet hit the trail then things settle out nicely.

This time of year gets a little weird as well. Approaching teh 11 year anniversary of beginning my thru-hike.

darkstar
03-26-2006, 17:30
Well,
I just go home from my backpacking trip, and I must say, hitting the trail is natures anti-anxiety. I calmed down as soon as my boots hit the trail. I must add that I'm still a little anxious for my next trip.....

The funniest thing:

We were on the BMT this weekend, hiking in from GA60 we spent the night at the suspension bridge over the toccoa river. There was a adventure race going on, about 75 teams of 3, about 30 hours long. All this I learned from the photographer that was following the race. They started off with a 10 mile trek then a 14 mile paddle down the toccoa, then a night trek and a mountain bike ride to the finish. Well, as a avid paddler myself, I took great pleasure in watching about 50% of the canoes in the race, all amateur paddlers, being claimed The Margret Drifts (the 1/4 mile section of whitewater starting at the bridge.) You can't let the river carry you thru the rapids, you have to paddle...Anyone who has paddled the toccoa, or who has good river reading skills, knows its river right all the way through these rapids. Might I mention that there is only 1 class two ledge in this 1/4 mile section. We were kindly telling the groups that were coming by us to stay on river right. A few, not so nice racers, looked at me an paid no attention, decided his team would run the center chute.... LOLOLOLOLOL I guess you know what happened next, yep you guessed it, they got dumped. All their gear was surfing down river, much faster than them. Their canoe went about 500 yards before it filled up and sank in the middle of the river. No wet bags, no wet suits, no ropes tying there valuables to their boat.
What a sight, I wish I had it on video to share. And not to mention, this happened several times over the course of about 3-4 hours.
It looked like a yard sale in the middle of the river.

Anyways, I hope all of you had a great weekend wherever you were.
I need to hit the rain locker and wash this hippie stank away, so

Peace to all

Darkstar