PDA

View Full Version : Make your friends drool

MtnBikerGuy
03-22-2006, 16:22
I have done this a couple times and if you like making your hiking buddy's jealous, this is a simple way of doing it.

A couple days before a weekend hike, take a steak and cut it into strips. Marinade it and put it in a freezer bag. When you head out the door the day of your hike, just take it out of the freezer and wrap it in a shirt/cozy/etc. It will slowly thaw out and be ready for dinner.

At dinner time, make your rice/potato dish and let it sit in your cozy. As the others are waiting on theirs too, you break out the steak and start frying it up. If they haven't noticed yet, the smell will make their heads spin around.

Be sure to have enough to give them a strip or two. We don't want to be TOO cruel.

Its a little extra weight, but for a short weekend hike, its no big deal and you aren't carrying it the second or third day. Also, you won't worry about it too much because you will know whats in store at dinner time.

saimyoji
03-22-2006, 17:33
Do the same with beers. Freeze them, wrap em and they'll thaw as you hike. I haven't tried marinating them first yet though....

K-Man
03-22-2006, 17:43
Doesn't freezing beers "skunk" them?

Just Jeff
03-22-2006, 18:07
Or pop the can?

fivefour
03-23-2006, 09:26
sorry to hijack the thread but i have had no problems with freezing the beers if you put them in the night before and take them out the next morning. they don't freeze solid in that amount of time.

back to topic ... i do the same with al dente beef jerkey. i only dehyrate the steak slighty and fry it up.

Hikes in Rain
03-23-2006, 09:27
No. "Skunked" beer is a reaction of the hop oils to light. Freezing it shouldn't harm it much (except for popping the cans, as Jeff noted). In fact, there's a type of beer, difficult to get in this country, called Iesenbeer, which was originally partially frozen to increase the alcohol level and intensify the malty flavors. The cadgy old monks would allow a keg to partially freeze, then toss the ice, which was mostly water. On my list of things to try, as a homebrewer.

lug nut
04-18-2006, 13:47
why would anyone eat a partially frozen keg?? don't you get splinters? Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck

Newb
04-18-2006, 15:14
mmmm. beeer.