PDA

View Full Version : The BEST one-person, 3-season tent

Chavens
03-22-2006, 16:55
I need to buy a new one-person tent to use on the trail...any suggestions? I'm not interested in tarps, bivy's, or hammocks...just a tent. I'm hoping on not spending TOO much...

kyhipo
03-22-2006, 16:58
cant go wrong with keltys products decent prices pretty durable.ky

swift
03-22-2006, 17:03
MSR Hubba is a killer tent.

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 17:14
The Newest Eureka! Spitfire UL 2006 is only 2 lbs 4 oz
and I think you may find Eureka still has a few on sale.
$122 verses $169 regular price.
There is one person on eBay selling the newer version $122
so they claim.

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 17:17
OH I meant to add if weight is not a problem the regular Spitfires are only $69 all over eBay from $59 to $69 NEW
or Campmor for $89 also

Peaks
03-22-2006, 17:18
Like all gear, there is no one tent that is the best for everyone. There are tradeoffs to be made in terms of size, weight, and cost. Also, when it comes to tents, do you want one that is free standing or not? And single wall or double wall?

Myself, I'm very happy with my Walrus Zoid 1.0, now made by MSR at a much higher price. I like the side zipper entry that allows you to reach everywhere inside without crawling in to say, get that loose sock at the far end of the tent.

Chavens
03-22-2006, 17:37
OK, I guess to be more specific, I would def. like one with some form of a vestibule (sp?), and also a rain cover. Freestanding would also be a nice feature, but I think they can get a little on the heavy side.

Sly
03-22-2006, 17:44
The Newest Eureka! Spitfire UL 2006 is only 2 lbs 4 oz
and I think you may find Eureka still has a few on sale.
$122 verses $169 regular price.
There is one person on eBay selling the newer version $122
so they claim.

According to the website the Spitfire is 3lbs 4 ozs. but still if cost is a big issue it's tough to beat at $89-

Personally, I'd spend the extra money and get a Lunar Solo from Six Moons Designs. Half the weight (1lb 10oz) taller and with more room for gear.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 17:47
Sly this is the NEW Spitfire UL one not the old one

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 17:55
Here is the link
http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/product_information.html

Sly
03-22-2006, 18:07
Sorry, found the Spitfire UL on Amazon.com, of all places, at 2.2 lbs and $169- with free shipping. Still, the layout is too confining imo.

Sly
03-22-2006, 18:08
Thanks Hana, I noticed the error of my ways while you were posting.

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 18:11
:0) not a real error there are just so many tents with the same model names..or updates...uggh
yes I agree a little confining...but I did go on all the new web sites Eureka Sierra Designs etc...just to check out the new updated verisons.

My niece wanted the Spitfire...I usually hang :)

Sly
03-22-2006, 18:11
It's good to see some of the majors using silnylon. Unfortunately, the cottage industry types, such as Six Moons Designs, may be forced to have their tents made overseas too.

The Solemates
03-22-2006, 19:13
that new spitfire UL looks nice and you cant beat the price. and its hard to beat the weight.

hikerjohnd
03-22-2006, 19:58
i've used the old spitfire and found it surprisingly roomy. I question the new design in the foot area though... the slope of the roof may rub against your sleeping bag. The rear pole seemed pretty important on the old model...:-?

Kerosene
03-22-2006, 20:57
I think you're going to have to prioritize weight, price, function here. As I am personally most concerned with weight and function, I'd go with the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo-e (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36#), a 23 oz. silnyl single-wall tent with vestibule. Ideally you will use a hiking pole as the tent pole, and you'll want to take a look at using five 8" Easton aluminum tent stakes (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=290&parent_category_rn=4500663&vcat=REI_SEARCH) to optimize the setup, resulting in a total weight of about 26 oz. without pole, but at a total cost of $245.

Almost There
03-22-2006, 21:11
What kind of sleeping bag do you have??? My concern with single walls only comes up when dealing with down bags...which I use. For me I use the Hubba and have been stormed on both with rain and snow...It held up great and ventilates fairly well. Different strokes for different folks though...if you can check them out set up in a store. REI usually always has a Hubba set up in their display area. Other question is, how big are you? Some of these solo tents wouldn't work for you if you're a big guy...such as the Big Agnes Seedhouse. We can suggest but you need to check them out for yourself.

Chavens
03-22-2006, 21:15
What kind of sleeping bag do you have??? My concern with single walls only comes up when dealing with down bags...which I use. For me I use the Hubba and have been stormed on both with rain and snow...It held up great and ventilates fairly well. Different strokes for different folks though...if you can check them out set up in a store. REI usually always has a Hubba set up in their display area. Other question is, how big are you? Some of these solo tents wouldn't work for you if you're a big guy...such as the Big Agnes Seedhouse. We can suggest but you need to check them out for yourself.

The Hubba tent is a bit out of my price range, but i do need something that is gonna be waterproof.

I have a synthetic sleeping bag...I'm about 5'11 and 160 lbs. (not big at all)

Are there any sites that review all of the different tents out there??

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 21:24
Are there any sites that review all of the different tents out there??

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/s/Shelters/index.html

It's a start.:rolleyes:

Almost There
03-22-2006, 21:25
Google the tents you're interested in and just add reviews after such as:

MSR HUBBA Reviews...this should get you several different sites where regular folks are giving their opinions. Two sites I know of are Backpackergear.com and Altrec.com usually has buyer reviews. Good Luck though!

Just Jeff
03-22-2006, 22:07
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/shelter.html

Flirty
03-22-2006, 22:27
I'm glad Chavens brought this up. I'm buying my first solo tent in April (payday). I've read backpacker mag and several manufacturers websites, watched ebay, went to REI, etc. I am not ready to be a "hanger", nor will I be using trek poles. So, now, I'm struggling with freestanding vs. non. Some reviews make the solo non-freestanding sound like they are a hassle, hard to get taut for rain, etc. I'm heading to Colorado this summer. Any pros/cons I should watch for?

Rendezvous01
03-22-2006, 23:27
I've used both freestanding and non. Considerations include where are you likely to be pitching your tent--on rocks or softer sites? Or, in other words, will you be able to drive your stakes into anything? Even most freestanding tents require staking for best rain resistance. If you are heading into Colorado high country, you may also want to consider the haste with which you can pitch your shelter, due to rather sudden afternoon thunderstorms. In general, a freestanding tent will set up faster than a non.

Other things to consider when buying your solo tent, in addition to your budget: can you comfortably sit up in it, to get dressed, to organize your gear, to play solitaire when socked in by the weather? Is there space for your pack inside or does it sleep outside under its rain cover? Is there a vestibule for your stinky, dirty boots? Single-wall vs. double wall, and if single-wall, can you flop around in your sleeping bag without rubbing against any condensation on the wall?

I spent (way too) many hours pondering the choices in tents before my AT hike. Then, my wife bought me one for my birthday, and it turns out I was quite happy with it, even though it may have not been my first choice (if I had ever gotten around to making up my mind). And then, 700 miles up the Trail, my Dad gave me a smaller tent, more like a glorified bivy sack, to lighten my load. And that worked fine, too. I think that, were I to go out today to choose a tent for solo backpacking, I would look for something relatively inexpensive that will keep me dry, and put my money into a high quality sleeping bag.

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:11
I highly recommend the Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy...There is a roomy vestibule at the head which allows you to sit up read, talk and hang out...you can set them up with a buddy (If he has one as well) so that you are head to toe and keep the net up with the outer flap open to see and talk. very roomy, Costs about 200 but weighs about 1lb, is compact, and gives you alot of options without having to lug around something 2+lbs. Here's the link: http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightsabre.php

hikerjohnd
03-23-2006, 10:28
I highly recommend the Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy...There is a roomy vestibule at the head which allows you to sit up read, talk and hang out...you can set them up with a buddy (If he has one as well) so that you are head to toe and keep the net up with the outer flap open to see and talk. very roomy, Costs about 200 but weighs about 1lb, is compact, and gives you alot of options without having to lug around something 2+lbs. Here's the link: http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightsabre.php

What about the waterproofness? As I understand it, the Epic fabric is not waterproof under extreme circumstances... I have been in a few rough blows on the AT and in Florida. Would the Lightsabre hold up and keep me (and more importantly my down sleeping bag) dry? What about condensation? Is that an issue?

Flirty
03-23-2006, 15:01
I think that, were I to go out today to choose a tent for solo backpacking, I would look for something relatively inexpensive that will keep me dry, and put my money into a high quality sleeping bag.

So many options, I too have spent way too long trying to figure it out. Thanks for your advice.

Tinker
03-23-2006, 15:04
good for someone who does a lot of mountain hiking, especially at higher elevations. It is very wind-worthy, and extremely user-friendly. The outer and inner tent set up together so your inner tent stays dry while setting up in the rain. I tend to sleep hot, so in warmer weather, I leave it home and take my HH Ultralight Expedition. I've found that, with the exception of cost, it's best (for me, anyway) to have a separate warm-weather shelter. When going with another hiker (my son, usually), we take an old Walrus (now MSR) Bug Hut 2 and a 10x12 silnylon fly. We never get wet and always stay cool.
Here's the Akto tent. I bought it from these folks because they had the best description of all internet retailers:

http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

Chavens
03-23-2006, 16:34
Made up my mind. Went with the MSR Hubba. Found it on ebay for only $170 :D Thanks for the help, though.

Heater
03-23-2006, 17:27

Do you own one of these? Have you acually sat up and read in it?
From what it looks like, I think you may be able to get up on one elbow but that's about it and you wount be doing that too long befor your arm gets sore.

JimSproul
03-23-2006, 22:48
I have owned and used several. The REI Roadster worked well for me but I am fairly short (5'8") and coould sit up in it. But it provided plenty of space during a cold, rainy 50 mile stretch of the Rockies. For winter trips I have a Kelty Quartz 1 which is great but too heavy by today's standards. For the last year or so I have used the REI Gimme Shelter with a bivy sack, okay when ther are no bugs.

The other day I saw and bought the Sierra Designs Baku 1. It has good wide head room, a vestible that will really hold stuff. It is rugged and the best part is it has TWO doors. I am concerned that it is a single wall thent but it have vents of four sides. I about to head to the trail for a few weeks and may take this tent if it passes its sea trials. So far I am pleased.

uncas
03-23-2006, 23:15
Hello,

When MSR took over making tents from Walrus, they celebrated with some limited edition tents. I bought an MSR Zoid 1.5 Titanium tent with great features. 26 sqft plus 7 in vestibule, 2lbs 10ozs, two huge side doors, dryties, dac fetherlite poles, titanium stakes, tiatnium dioxide covered fly for max UV protection, etc., etc. If I was gong to be in the thing for 6 months I wanted something that I could be comfortable in.

I also have the Sierra Design Light Year CD. Another great Solo tent.

And finally, the REI roadster is an interesting tent. But at 2lb9oz for 15.5 sqft. it does not compare with the Zoid 1.5. in weight to acreage ratio.

The problem with all new gear now is the same as with PCs. A year later, there is something lighter and better out there.

Go to a store where you can set the tent up. Lie in it. Sit up in it. Imagine getting into it during the rain.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

roamin'
03-28-2006, 12:19
I do need something that is gonna be waterproof.

I have this tent and it has held up great:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031780516763a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=xpg&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=7&Go.y=9&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=xpg&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

I have the solo. It spent an evening in rain throughout the night and woke up dry as a bone. Also had a night with pretty good winds and slept fine. The weight is not bad (not excellent either) at overall weight 4lbs 1oz
but for $109 shipped it's a great tent. Easy set up/takedown and has good room to move around. If you're on a budget like myself, this tent works great.

Squeaky 2
03-28-2006, 13:00
with out doubt and with out trying all the tents out there!

the mountain hardwear waypoint one man is rock solid. due to its design condensation is very rare and it only wieghs 2lb. for $160 you wont get a better tent! i have logged over 5,500 miles in mine and it awesome!!!

Toolshed
03-28-2006, 13:02
I picked up the Spitfire UL from the Eureka outlet 2 weeks ago for $99. I set it up 3 times and ended up returning it. Superlight and made nicely, but It is much too small - especially at the foot end. Might be good for a shorter person, but certainly too small for someone who is 6'1". I couldn't get my feet to point straight up in the tent with out pushing the mesh up into the fly on the foot end.

I do like the design, just not the size.

also the SD Ligfhtyear is on sale at REI Outlet. for $99.

Flirty
03-28-2006, 14:23
the mountain hardwear waypoint !

I just checked their website - didn't see a "waypoint". Mabye it's been redesigned/name? There's a Skypoint, it's a single wall, in their ultralight category. Or the PCT 1 in the mountain variety. I'm guessing the one you're recommending is a non-freestanding?

hammock engineer
03-28-2006, 15:02
I'm glad Chavens brought this up. I'm buying my first solo tent in April (payday). I've read backpacker mag and several manufacturers websites, watched ebay, went to REI, etc. I am not ready to be a "hanger", nor will I be using trek poles. So, now, I'm struggling with freestanding vs. non. Some reviews make the solo non-freestanding sound like they are a hassle, hard to get taut for rain, etc. I'm heading to Colorado this summer. Any pros/cons I should watch for?

I haven't tried to on tents or to the degree others have, but you may be able to use a good hammock tarp tip to keep yout tent taut in the rain. Search for tarp tensioners. Jeff has instructions on how to make them on his site. They basically are tubing in the guy line that add/subtracts length to keep everything taut.

hammock engineer
03-28-2006, 15:03
So long and thanks for all the fish.

I thought the answer was 42?

The Solemates
03-28-2006, 15:42
I just checked their website - didn't see a "waypoint". Mabye it's been redesigned/name? There's a Skypoint, it's a single wall, in their ultralight category. Or the PCT 1 in the mountain variety. I'm guessing the one you're recommending is a non-freestanding?

i second squeaky's suggestion on the waypoint. we have the waypoint II and have well over 4000 miles on ours and still going strong. unfortunately, however, they quit making this tent. thats not to say you cant still find it if you want it: http://www.backcountrygear.com/tent/Ultralight_Tents.cfm, among other sites.

buster68
03-29-2006, 14:52
i have the siera designs lightyear CD. it provides good protection in bad weather, is lightweight at 2lbs 11ozs (3lbs 4ozs pack weight), lots of room and reasonably priced at $139 - $129 for the identical 2005 model at campmoor. i am very pleased with it.

white rabbit
03-29-2006, 15:11
cant go wrong with keltys products decent prices pretty durable.ky

Crestone 1 is a very good tent, although a little heavy. Weighs a little over 3 pounds and costs 89 bucks.

Zip
04-06-2006, 22:53
I recently purchased a North Face Vector 22, it's actually a 2 person tent and weighs 4lb5oz. I like it because the head room is tall enough to sit up in and there's room enough for gear inside. It is free standing and has a rain fly. The price was $239.

MedicineMan
04-06-2006, 23:12
where there will be no trees, not even one and we are looking at the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2...any thoughts on this one? its listed at 2#14oz.

mrmike48/4000
04-06-2006, 23:46
how about the go-lite lair tent system. you can hang it from a branch or use your hiking pole to hold it up. it is a 3 peice system if you get them all. ground cloth, neting and shelter. im not sure on the overall specs..i hope your choice works out well! nitewalker

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 23:53
where there will be no trees, not even one and we are looking at the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2...any thoughts on this one? its listed at 2#14oz.

I slept in one for one night in the backyard. Everything was excellent - I just decided to drop weight and made the switch to a tarptent.

Earl Grey
08-13-2006, 21:56
Looking at the Light Year, from the pictures it looks like the floor isnt bathtub? Do you want to have a bathtub floor in tents? It seems like it would be better in keeping water out.

blackbishop351
08-14-2006, 03:42
Since nobody's mentioned it, I thought I'd chime in...

MSR Trekker!! I used mine for around 3 years and LOVE it!! Very versatile, very light. It's got plenty of room for 2 + gear, but it's light enough for 1, especially if you only take the tarp. It's a little pricier than some to buy new, but I found mine on Ebay for pretty cheap.

There IS a bit of a learning curve with this thing, but I've found it much easier to set up than a regular tarp, especially when using the whole tent (with insert).

As always, just my .02 :D

Toolshed
08-14-2006, 06:56
Mountain Gear Mgear.com has the MSR trekker tarps (the newer sylnylons) on sale for $179. I picked one up and used it 2X and now woder how l lived so long without one. Absolutely every thing I have ever wanted!!!

RockyTrail
08-15-2006, 22:40
Looking at the Light Year, from the pictures it looks like the floor isnt bathtub? Do you want to have a bathtub floor in tents? It seems like it would be better in keeping water out.

The Lightyear does have a "bathtub" floor. The walls are attached to the floor and extend at least 3-4 inches up until they attach to mesh. This is plenty for keeping water out (given that you use the rainfly:D ) .
Like virtually all tents, you need to apply seam sealer to the ground-wall seam to keep the water out.

Bathtub floors are great for keeping puddles out, but a well-pitched tarp or tarptent with a flat, non-bathtub floor or grundcloth is fine too (emphasis on well-pitched). Don't camp in a depression area without a bathtub floor.

K0OPG
08-16-2006, 08:29
seirra designe - Mach 1. I don't know the specs but I believe it is under 4lbs. I like mine. sierra trading post for about 100.

Auntie Mame
08-16-2006, 19:03
Just adding my 2 cents for the little REI Roadster for folks under 5'7. I am using it to experiment with in solo outings. $89, under 3#, very fast set-up and nice airy headroom. Has a funny little built-in knee wall all around which helps make better use of the footage, IMHO. We just got a double rainbow from HS, good for when we go out together, and after some getting used to, might be the perfect solo tent as well.

sliderule
08-16-2006, 20:11
how about the go-lite lair tent system. you can hang it from a branch or use your hiking pole to hold it up. it is a 3 peice system if you get them all. ground cloth, neting and shelter. im not sure on the overall specs..i hope your choice works out well! nitewalker

If you are going to carry the Lair with the nest, you might as well carry a conventional tent. Weight and volume are about the same.

refreeman
11-17-2006, 11:07
the Kelty Crestone Tent 1-Person 3-Season is on sale right now at
steepandcheap.com

its a good tent, but has a little more weight than the expensive tents.
But hay, for only $50 it is someone's perfect solution. IF you are on a budget the cheap deal is somtimes the best answer. Most people on WB that got one the last time SAC offered it are happy with it.

So for you guys with a hiking heart and a low budget check the deal out.
My guess it should be sold out in 2 hours.

good luck.