PDA

View Full Version : Camp shoes?

Bubblehead
01-14-2021, 10:20
For LASH, camp shoes or no camp shoes? Trying to decrease my base weight. Is leaving camp shoes out worth the decreased weight? My camp shoes are 9 oz....

Gambit McCrae
01-14-2021, 10:29
Depends on several things IMO
How much time are you going to be in camp vs walking? IF you are someone who spends a lot of your trail time in camp, and you enjoy having them then take them.
If you value a lower base weight more then the enjoyment of camp shoes then leave them.

I can think of a hand full of times I wish I had camp shoes when I did not, and I can think of many times I with I had left the weight at home.

I have a very old pair of crocs I take frequently with me as camp shoes, that have also been known to turn into my hiking shoes when feet have gotten bad.

I carried a pair of amazon rubber soled slippers through New Hampshire and Maine....Jury is still out on their efficiency...Not the most comfortable but quick to get on when in and out of the tent, cheap and half the weight of the crocs.

garlic08
01-14-2021, 10:48
What are your trail shoes? Mine are so comfortable and dry so quickly it makes no sense to bring second pair.

LittleRock
01-14-2021, 10:58
This has been discussed at length in the past on this forum and you will undoubtedly find a range of opinions.

I always bring camp shoes. Having a lightweight pair of slip-ons that I can quickly put on each time I need to leave my tent (esp. when I need to pee in the middle of the night) is easily worth the extra ounces, IMO.

colorado_rob
01-14-2021, 12:00
What are your trail shoes? Mine are so comfortable and dry so quickly it makes no sense to bring second pair.
Yeah, this. When I get to camp, I loosen my laces drastically and take out the footbeds/orthotics and my hiking shoes feel like slippers.

Just another vote for no. My wife brings crocs, I call her silly, she just laughs at me.

Bubblehead
01-14-2021, 12:31
Never thought of that....not a bad idea....thanks.

Leo L.
01-14-2021, 12:45
I've carried flipflops for years, as camp shoes and as kind of a backup if my hiking shoes would fail.

Over the years, I used the flipflops less and less, my hiking shoes never failed and since being an older and pretty lazy guy I switched to using a night bottle, so now I'm saving space&weight of the flipflops.

mikethejung
01-14-2021, 13:04
Yeah, this. When I get to camp, I loosen my laces drastically and take out the footbeds/orthotics and my hiking shoes feel like slippers.

Just another vote for no. My wife brings crocs, I call her silly, she just laughs at me.

And if your shoes get wet during hiking, slipping bread bags over dry socks before wearing your loosened hiking shoes makes for a SUL camp shoe solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
01-14-2021, 13:29
Will you be staying at hostels or campgrounds? If so, you want shoes that you can wear in a communal shower.

HooKooDooKu
01-14-2021, 14:37
What makes sense to me is if you can combine water shoes and camp shoes into one thing...
I don't like crossing deep creeks in bare feet... too many ways you can harm you feet.
And I specifically want a shoe that is closed toe.

@Bubblehead 8oz is what I look for in water shoes, so if you're 9oz camp shoes can double as water shoes, I think you're good.

Prov
01-14-2021, 16:04
I love camp shoes. It feels great to change things up at the end of the day. My secret is I use a pair of old cross-country racing flats (usually a pair of Saucony Kilkennys). They fully cover the foot securely (laces), drain water, have tread on the bottom which helps going up and down some muddy slopes for water, only weigh a few ounces (less than crocs, and they pack down better), and previous years models can be found online for next to nothing.

People that see me pull a pair of running shoes out of my bag usually think I’m an idiot for hauling them around until I put them in their hand and then they are dumbfounded by the weight. Not a lot of ex-runners backpacking, I guess.

Deadeye
01-14-2021, 16:31
Like so many things, it's a personal choice. I've never carried camp shoes.

But I bet if I tried them, I'd like them, so I won't try them.:-?

Slo-go'en
01-14-2021, 17:21
I can't tell you how many "camp shoe" (and hiking boot, yes boot as there is only one) along the side of the trail I've come across. They seem to fall off the back of packs pretty easily.

LazyLightning
01-14-2021, 17:51
Like a lot of people have said all personal preference and depends on your style, I wouldn't go without but a lot of people would never consider. Nice to have at camp also for water crossings and in town. I've liked these and been using for years, they also dry off in minutes. There's a lot of similar ones out there, these weigh 9.5oz for the pair.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-ragin-water-shoes-for-men?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatc hAll&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irh6Rsg2sgMoSjWjeHAS rzkN5Zr8PrzOEdV6pfSU5x5uTo_HBWjEI6YaAmPkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

h. hastings
01-14-2021, 18:40
Carried a pair of Xero sandals on my Sobo and they came in handy for wading in Maine. Once I got out of Maine though I found I rarely put them on at the end of the day. I ended up sending them home. Usually I just loosened the laces on my trail runners.

Miner
01-14-2021, 19:58
This is almost what I do, I tie the laces very very loosely so I can just slip my feet into my trail runners easily when I need to get up and take care of any business in the middle of the night. That and brushing my teeth before going to bed are the only times I ever stand up in camp after setting up. I'm only stopping to camp to sleep and maybe cook dinner if I didn't stop earlier for that. Camp shoes make no sense at all to me in that context.

Recalc
01-14-2021, 21:12
Once carried a pair of flip flops for water crossings & camp in a wet spring on the OHT. Didn't like the fiddle factor of removing hiking shoes, crossing stream, putting shoes back on, & attaching them to the pack. All of these delays meant I wasn't walking, and the cold in the air became noticeable. The remaining crossings were done in trail runners that provided great footing & dried out surprisingly fast.

Loosened my shoes at night to double for camp shoes (as above) & continue to leave flip flops at home.

Dropdeadfred
01-14-2021, 21:54
loose laced boots,,, no socks,, VOILA ! camp shoes.

DougWise
01-15-2021, 10:07
I have a very old pair of crocs (Off brand). They seem to be much softer and lighter than the brand name crocs. I like to have them.....great to put on when you have to walk across a creek and dont want to get your boots wet injure your hooves. Also nice to slip on at night for a restroom run. Nice to put on while your boots are drying out beside a fire when you get to camp after a long day - Thats the long answer.

Short answer - I like to have my old walmart crocs when I spend a few days on the trail.

fudgefoot
01-15-2021, 10:42
I love camp shoes. It feels great to change things up at the end of the day. My secret is I use a pair of old cross-country racing flats (usually a pair of Saucony Kilkennys). They fully cover the foot securely (laces), drain water, have tread on the bottom which helps going up and down some muddy slopes for water, only weigh a few ounces (less than crocs, and they pack down better), and previous years models can be found online for next to nothing.

People that see me pull a pair of running shoes out of my bag usually think I’m an idiot for hauling them around until I put them in their hand and then they are dumbfounded by the weight. Not a lot of ex-runners backpacking, I guess.
This is brilliant. I just ordered a pair and am going to give them a try. I've been using Crocs for years but they are clunky and not that light. The other nice thing abut the XC flats is they have laces which make them more secure in stream crossings. The single strap on the Crocs is not that secure and I always worry about them coming off and floating downstream.

The Kisco Kid
01-15-2021, 12:23
I bring flip-flops. My baseweight is 11 pounds.

Lots of folks seem to mention stream crossing as a additional use for camp shoes. I forded a few streams in northern Maine only. It's much safer to use your regular hiking boots (removing insoles and socks) for the very few fords you will encounter. If you wear trail runners, they'll dry out in an hour.

Miner
01-15-2021, 12:54
Forgot to mention another advantage to loosening your laces up at night, if you had to do a ford towards the end of the day where there is no chance they will dry out before dark, and the overnight temperature drops below freezing so your shoes freeze stiff, with the laces loosen up you can still manage to work your feet into them in the morning, tightening them up after hiking a shortways when they have regained some flexibility. Much better than the alternative of dunking your shoes in water to defrost them before putting them on in the cold morning. Of course, others will try to mumble something about water shoes, but for something that so rarely happens, it's not worth planning for.

CalebJ
01-15-2021, 15:16
Forgot to mention another advantage to loosening your laces up at night, if you had to do a ford towards the end of the day where there is no chance they will dry out before dark, and the overnight temperature drops below freezing so your shoes freeze stiff, with the laces loosen up you can still manage to work your feet into them in the morning, tightening them up after hiking a shortways when they have regained some flexibility. Much better than the alternative of dunking your shoes in water to defrost them before putting them on in the cold morning. Of course, others will try to mumble something about water shoes, but for something that so rarely happens, it's not worth planning for.
This may seem like a minor inconvenience if you've never experienced it, but it's infuriating trying to get your foot into a frozen shoe or boot that absolutely, positively will not flex or allow you to loosen the laces.

Prov
01-15-2021, 16:26
This is brilliant. I just ordered a pair and am going to give them a try. I've been using Crocs for years but they are clunky and not that light. The other nice thing abut the XC flats is they have laces which make them more secure in stream crossings. The single strap on the Crocs is not that secure and I always worry about them coming off and floating downstream.
4.6 ounces for amazing shoes always makes me happy, and I’m not even a weight weenie. I was really happy to have them on the Arizona Trail this fall when a significant amount of water came from cattle tanks. It usually involved multiple steps through shoe sucking cow poop at the waters edge (really selling the trail, aren’t I?). Camp shoes also rinse off better.

HooKooDooKu
01-16-2021, 00:35
I have a very old pair of crocs (Off brand). They seem to be much softer and lighter than the brand name crocs. I like to have them.....great to put on when you have to walk across a creek and dont want to get your boots wet injure your hooves. Also nice to slip on at night for a restroom run. Nice to put on while your boots are drying out beside a fire when you get to camp after a long day - Thats the long answer.

Short answer - I like to have my old walmart crocs when I spend a few days on the trail.
Crocs are heavy... Off brands are usually lighter because they are made with a lighter weight material. They are NOT thick enough to walk any great distance, but great as water shoes and camp / midnight run shoes.

HooKooDooKu
01-16-2021, 00:43
4.6 ounces for amazing shoes always makes me happy, and I’m not even a weight weenie. I was really happy to have them on the Arizona Trail this fall when a significant amount of water came from cattle tanks. It usually involved multiple steps through shoe sucking cow poop at the waters edge (really selling the trail, aren’t I?). Camp shoes also rinse off better.
is that 4.6oz each or for the pair?

OhioHiker
01-16-2021, 08:09
I used to bring camp shoes... I tried Crocs, some very basic slippers; I called them prison slippers, water shoes... I gave up.. Every time I would wear them around camp I would slip and fall because of the lack of traction. I went into a stream trying to filter water once... that was it!

Now I just loosen the laces of my hikers and wear them, or go barefoot if I can see there is absolutely no chance of injury.

BTW I had to google the Track Shoes... that is genius! I might keep my eye out for some on clearance shelves...

Prov
01-16-2021, 11:25
is that 4.6oz each or for the pair?
I’ve been trying to figure this out for years, it doesn’t help that I’m the last backpacker left on earth without a digital scale. I figure at the 4 oz listed for the women’s Saucony Kilkenny (4.6 is for the men’s) no matter what happens it is lower than the listed weight for crocs (and they are lighter in my hands).

As a FYI, if anyone looks into XC shoes, most of the time you will see spikes. These are no problem to buy. They will come with little metal spikes and a spike key, obviously you just don’t put the spikes in. There are little holes in the bottom, worse thing that will happen is that they get some dirt in them. It’s no big deal.

Crossbar
01-16-2021, 12:23
Ah, good info Prov! I was skipping over the ones that mentioned 'spikes'.

DougWise
01-19-2021, 15:35
I found a pair of the track shoes - 3.5 oz via Amazon for less than $20 shipped to the house.
Thanks for the tip -
Doug

Prov
01-19-2021, 17:29
That makes me happy. I hope they work out.

Now I feel bad, I considered sharing this year’s ago but I assumed everyone would just shrug their shoulders and go on with their crocs.

Turk6177
01-19-2021, 18:19
I started without them and have never regretted adding them to my kit. It is nice at the end of the day to take the shoes off and let those puppies breathe.

RiverbirchHiker
01-19-2021, 23:35

What are you hiking in?? Sounds great--comfort and being able to dry out.
------------

I've never brought along camp shoes because of weight and the seeming hassle of hanging crocks or some other shoes from my pack.
But I wished I had something many times in camp!

HooKooDooKu
01-20-2021, 01:05
I found a pair of the track shoes - 3.5 oz via Amazon for less than $20 shipped to the house.
Thanks for the tip -
Doug
Per shoe or for the pair?

stephanD
01-20-2021, 09:22
Will you be staying at hostels or campgrounds? If so, you want shoes that you can wear in a communal shower.
I agree. I carry camp shoes mostly for that purpose. Otherwise, it is a matter of comfort.

Mikerfixit
01-20-2021, 10:08
On XC shoes if you don't want to wear the spikes they make studs that screw in to keep the dirt out of the threads. The studs stay below the tread of the shoe so they don't impact the use. I ran XC for 5 years.

DougWise
01-20-2021, 12:35
Per shoe or for the pair?

It looks like it’s for the pair. Look at Saucony Ballista Md Track Shoe on Amazon.

Prov
01-20-2021, 13:55
On XC shoes if you don't want to wear the spikes they make studs that screw in to keep the dirt out of the threads. The studs stay below the tread of the shoe so they don't impact the use. I ran XC for 5 years.

I love that everyone can learn something new everyday. I just kept the spikes out when I didn’t need them (I only ran xc informally as an adult at opens).

I never ran track (although I have run ultras ON a track, but that isn’t close), so I’m not familiar with the shoes. I always went with XC shoes because they are built for water, dirt, and grass. The track shoes probably don’t have the same tread (but you may not want that) and of course they still run in the rain and do steeplechase, so I’m really interested in hearing the verdict on them!

CalebJ
01-20-2021, 14:58
I never ran track (although I have run ultras ON a track, but that isn’t close
What was it like doing one on the track? All of mine have been trail events. Hard to get my head wrapped around a short course ultra.

Prov
01-20-2021, 15:11
What was it like doing one on the track? All of mine have been trail events. Hard to get my head wrapped around a short course ultra.

I really loved it. I used to be competitive in 24 hour races and the track ones were my fav. The surface is fast and forgiving and there is an aid station every 400 meters. People think it will be monotonous but you get involved in the races of the people around you. There is always someone who is three days older than God going for a 50k American record so it becomes a welcome distraction.

I liked trail races but I’m a Chicagoan and used to flat pavement so I would get my but kicked on trails. Plus I started questioning why I would travel somewhere beautiful and spend my time looking at the ground or seeing nothing at 3 am during a 100. I became a backpacker from that.

CalebJ
01-20-2021, 15:42
Sounds like our trajectories have gone in opposite directions. I started as a backpacker and added trail running as a great way to stay in shape for backpacking without the monotony of running on the road. Ultras came into the picture when I realized that I thoroughly enjoyed being out all day on a hike/run where friendly faces appeared every hour or so when you'd least expect it, offering food and drink to help you on your journey.

colorado_rob
01-20-2021, 16:59
wow, this all brings back fond memories... I ran both XC and track (1/4 and half mile) in HS and for a while in college, and yeah, I wore those ridiculously light racing flats/spikes. I wish I hadn't thrown them away now!

Prov
01-20-2021, 19:27
If anyone looks into a pair you genuinely can find them for $15-25. The running shoe companies are always coming out with new and “better” (so they think, they usually screw up a really good shoe) models and the stores steeply discount the year or two old ones. The shorter the distance it is intended for, the lighter the weight (less cushioning, etc is needed).

CalebJ
01-20-2021, 19:35
I'm amazed that they're so much lighter than a stripped down alternative like the Trail Glove. I'd love to get a close look at a pair of flats just to get my head wrapped around them. Sounds intriguing.

Fredt4
01-20-2021, 21:18

Agree, I don't carry extra camp shoes, just open the laces of my trial runners and I'm good.

Dropdeadfred
01-21-2021, 02:38
Some of these shower shoe posts reminds me of my Army days.. I NEVER wore them,,, and had folks ooooh at me..
My reasoning was, worse that can happen is some toe jam I can kill with a bit of spray.
wearing flip flops,, I'll break my neck... I CANNOT walk in the dang things, bust out the front, slide out the side, Same with crocks,,, walk around,, bust out the side.

Mikerfixit
01-21-2021, 09:35
Crocks made or makes an aqua-crock. The bottom of the shoe is the same as a regular crock but the upper is fabric with a Velcro closure at the back of the ankle like a sports sandal. They fit snugger than a regular crock and dry pretty quick once wet. I used them as a camp shoe for a few trips thinking that if I needed to do a water crossing I could slip them on and just hung them on the outside of my pack while backpacking.

When waking up in the middle of the night with the "I gots to goes now!" I found them difficult to just slip on and opening the Velcro in the middle of the night seemed to echo into oblivion when I was trying to be as quick and quiet as I could.

Coffee
01-21-2021, 11:57
The only time I carry "camp" footwear is when I go to Europe where I stay in hostels and huts exclusively rather than camp. Many facilities, especially in the Alps, make you take your "boots" off before coming in, even if your "boots" are really trail runners. Some provide house slippers but sharing footwear is pretty gross in my opinion. So I carry flip flops in that situation. For backpacking in the U.S., I haven't carried camp shoes even on trips where I use hostels and public showers. For me the weight isn't worth it. I don't spend much time in camp anyway since I'm out there to hike, not camp, and most hostel shower floors are not that bad in my experience.

grubbster
01-22-2021, 15:36
Always looking for a lightweight solution for camp shoes or creek crossers. I ordered a pair of these but alas, these are not the solution. I usually wear a size 10.5 and ordered these in a 11 but could barely get my foot in. Put them on the scale and a size 11 is about 15oz. These are going right back.

Prov
01-22-2021, 15:42
Always looking for a lightweight solution for camp shoes or creek crossers. I ordered a pair of these but alas, these are not the solution. I usually wear a size 10.5 and ordered these in a 11 but could barely get my foot in. Put them on the scale and a size 11 is about 15oz. These are going right back.

What are “these”?

Bubblehead
01-22-2021, 18:57
Thanks for all the good answers. Think I'll leave my camp shoes at home this year and take the super feet out when I get to camp and loosen the laces....thanks again!

grubbster
01-23-2021, 09:05
What are “these”?
Sorry, the Saucony Kilkinny that have been discussed.

fudgefoot
01-23-2021, 09:33
Got my Kilkenny flats this week. They don't save as much weight vs. the Crocs as I hoped - only 25g less. I ordered the same size as my boots (12) and they fit fine. I still plan on giving them a try - will be nice to have another option besides the Crocs.

LazyLightning
01-23-2021, 09:45
My light trail runners dried as quick as most and I think that drying in a half hour is 'tad' exaggerated... even if you took them off and put them in the sun. Like there just going to dry out with a soaking wet sock without taking anything off after being submerged, especially when it's colder out. To each their own though, I'd rather take a minute to change them and call it safety break time on the other side as my feet dry a minute before slipping some nice dry socks back on, even giving them a few minutes to air out during the crossing. Taking care of your feet goes a long way to. I also hiked the AT without getting one blister, I bet not too many people could say that ; )

colorado_rob
01-23-2021, 11:03
My light trail runners dried as quick as most and I think that drying in a half hour is 'tad' exaggerated...

Taking care of your feet goes a long way to. I also hiked the AT without getting one blister, I bet not too many people could say that ; ) Well, the drying time depends on how soaked and the local climate, I suppose, but I agree, 1/2 hour if thoroughly wet is optimistic. It is amazing though with trail runners; fording streams in them w/o even breaking a stride, they seem to be mostly dried out in no time and "feel" mostly dry. I think the walking motion pumps the moisture out quickly. Because of this, I just have never seem any need for separate water-crossing shoes.

I agree on the foot care thing, especially in my case with respect to foot skin inflammation, I suppose when it happens it's some kind of fungus (AKA: athlete's foot"). I have to be diligent about frequent washing and airing out of the old dogs even on bone-dry hiking days.

For the record, in maybe fifteen thousand (probably more) miles of hiking, I haven't had any sort of blister in probably 20 years. Nor has my wife. Nor have any of my regular hiking pals (well, to my knowledge). I'm not actually bragging, just pointing out that if you make hiking a way of life, blisters become a complete non-issue.

Raid
01-27-2021, 13:16
You may want to use some type of shower shoes. I never felt comfortable using hostel showers and even some of the hotels we stayed at. A foot fungus could be the end of a long hike. That was the only time I really enjoyed having them. I use lightweight flip flops. They make it easy to wash my feet in the shower.

MtDoraDave
02-01-2021, 07:46
What makes sense to me is if you can combine water shoes and camp shoes into one thing...
I don't like crossing deep creeks in bare feet... too many ways you can harm you feet.
And I specifically want a shoe that is closed toe.

@Bubblehead 8oz is what I look for in water shoes, so if you're 9oz camp shoes can double as water shoes, I think you're good.
Yep. This.
The crocs I initially used are the type that didn't have holes in the upper. Those were really warm in winter camping. They also were good at keeping socks dry walking through dewey grass around camp. But I wanted something I could actually hike in and do water crossings in when I eventually got to one.

The Ragin Redhead water shoes I bought, which are better than crocs, hold water when used as shower shoes or if used for water crossings. Annoying.

I discovered another option.
A friend of mine uses them on their boat. very light, mesh uppers, perforated bottoms, fit like athletic shoes...super comfortable, pretty cheap. Amazon.com | DOUSSPRT Men's Water Shoes Quick Drying Sports Aqua Shoes | Water Shoes (https://www.amazon.com/DOUSSPRT-Water-Shoes-Drying-Sports/dp/B07MBCV747/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=water+shoes&qid=1612179525&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVOFhXMFI4R1pPNDUmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNDEyNjMxWlZSWEE5S01BUkFCJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MDU2NzYzVjMzR0ZBMjg1NVRHJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==)