PDA

View Full Version : Novice NC hiker

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 20:28
Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune :)

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 20:32
Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune :)

The trick, of course, is to not put on a big backpack ever;) . Seriously, where are you thinking of hiking and do you have any backpacking gear?

blindeye
03-22-2006, 20:42
although i'm in training also skidsteer gave you the best advice. it's the first thing i learned, don't take a big pack. you will regret it.
hope that helps.

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 21:31
The only thing I have is a decent internal frame backpack, although I was thinking of getting a new one.
How much weight do most people end up packing.

I'd like to hike a section of the AT over the summer. Although I'm up for weekend trips too since I need to gain experience.

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 21:33
Oh yeah, I'd like to stay around NC since I'm in Raleigh :)

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 22:09
[quote]
The only thing I have is a decent internal frame backpack, although I was thinking of getting a new one.
How much weight do most people end up packing.

Whooboy! That's a toughie, but here goes. Opinions vary-but for weekend trips of 1-2 nights while you are still in the "learning about gear and don't have a lot of money stage" you might set as a goal to carry no more than 20-25 % of your bodyweight. As an example, if your weight is 140 lbs., attempt to keep your total packweight( with food and water ) under 28-35 lbs.
Keep in mind: Money+skill/experience=lighter loads.

28-35 lbs. is heavy enough to give you ample incentive to invest money in lighter gear after your first trip. :D

As to your current "decent backpack", tell us the make and model (and weight, if you know). Will it carry what you need? Does it fit? You may not need to replace it. It just depends.

Others will chime in, I hope. You should get lots of suggestions on a huge variety of gear choices.

Hope this helps.:)

ed bell
03-22-2006, 22:15
I'd like to hike a section of the AT over the summer. Although I'm up for weekend trips too since I need to gain experience.
As a lifelong "weekend warrior" so to speak, I've learned that getting comfortable with the camp routine is all you need to branch out to more involved long trips. Weekend trips are probably the best way to get comfortable with being a backpacker. Since you are a runner, you should be able to adjust quickly. Always good to hear about someone looking to get into backpacking.:sun

Hikerhead
03-22-2006, 22:16
The AT in SNP is probably closer to Raleigh than the AT in NC.

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 22:24
This is my backpack...
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rokk/socorro/

The fit is ok to me, but I've never really carried that much in it, just a camera and a tripod for when I used to go out dayhiking to take some pictures. When I bought it, I was thinking less about fit and more about the price tag, since I just got it for day hiking trips at the time.

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 22:24
SNP = Smokie Mnt's, right?

Marta
03-22-2006, 22:26
You might want to check out PATH, the trail maintaining club. Most of the members live in the Triangle area. Many are much older than you are, but have decades of hiking experience they can share.

Marta
03-22-2006, 22:27
SNP is Shenandoah National Park. From Raleigh, you're probably better driving north towards the Trail in Virginia, than heading west towards the Smokies.

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 22:33
This is my backpack...
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rokk/socorro/

The fit is ok to me, but I've never really carried that much in it, just a camera and a tripod for when I used to go out dayhiking to take some pictures. When I bought it, I was thinking less about fit and more about the price tag, since I just got it for day hiking trips at the time.

Uh, probably not so good. I've never seen one up close and I couldn't pull up the descriptions, but it looks essentially like a day pack without a hipbelt. Here's a good starting point:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=95858&postcount=1

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 23:21
Ok, so it looks like I'll probably want a pack better suited for longer trips. I thought so :-?

As far as taking weekend trips by myself as a pretty green hiker... is this a good way to gain experience or am I just setting myself up for getting lost somewhere in SNP?

Skidsteer
03-22-2006, 23:33
Ok, so it looks like I'll probably want a pack better suited for longer trips. I thought so :-?

As far as taking weekend trips by myself as a pretty green hiker... is this a good way to gain experience or am I just setting myself up for getting lost somewhere in SNP?

It's hard to say but if you're uncomfortable with the idea why not take Marta's advice(post #11). Heck, there might even be a backpacking club at NC state. You might be able to hook up with someone willing to share gear while you learn what you want to buy.:)

Hikerhead
03-22-2006, 23:39
Yeah, get a better pack. I have about 5 packs now and finally settled on a ULA P1. Small, light and comfortable.but carries everything I need with room to spare.

SNP is unique in that you have sooo many places where the trail crosses the parkway with parking plus the Waysides. Wayside means food!! Plus the campgrounds. For a beginner hiker it couldn't get much better. Plus the easy treadway. You'll smoke it up.

First, order the map of that area from the ATC. If you're just going for an overnite, figure out how many miles you want to do. 10 miles a day? Find a parking lot 10 miles from a shelter and hike to it and hike back to your car the next day. I hammock so I can camp anywhere as long as it's 100 ft from the trail. I think that's the number.

You could park at one of the waysides, that way you'll have food at the start and finish.

You can't get lost on the AT in SNP <DON'T wrong me prove and go>. It's the only trail that runs along the top of the mtn, it's well blazed, plus sign post with mileages at every intersection.

mrmike48/4000
03-22-2006, 23:41
Weathergirl, make sure you get a pack for the right amount of time you will be on the trail. 1-3 days aprox a 3000 cu in pack. the granite gear vapor trail is 3500 cu in with a weight of 2lbs. i love it.. granite gear also makes packs that are larger. the nimbus ozone is 4200 cu in weight of 3lbs.. like all things everyone has their own favs.. go to the local outfitter and try some packs on.. short period on the trail smaller lighter pack, longer period on the trail a slightly larger pack could be appropiate but still as light as you can get it...good luck with your choice and your hike... nitewalker

weathergirl
03-22-2006, 23:53
Thanks for all the good advice! :)

I feel ok about not getting lost as long as I have a map and the trail is well-marked, so it sounds like SNP might be a good place to get my feet wet.

As for the pack advice... it sounds like I need to do some reading online. There's also an REI in the area that I could go and try some of these on.

As for the "hooking up" part of the thread, if there's anyone who's going my way (SNP) for a weekend trip in the near future or a longer trip over the summer, let me know and I'll tag along and ask you lots of new-backpacker type questions :banana I was just looking for an excuse to use that icon :rolleyes:

Or if there's a good hiking community at NC state that I can plug-in to, pass it along.
I've looked up the website for that PATH, and I'll definitely be browsing around there in the near future.

neo
03-23-2006, 00:05
hiking in snp 20,25,and 30 miles per day is easy for most hikers,i enjoyed hiking this when i hiked from rockfish gap to boiling springs pa in 13 easy days:cool: neo

happy hiking to ya:)

Almost There
03-23-2006, 00:39
weathergrl,

You are free to hook up with me in Virginia when I hike most of the state in June. If you want feel free to PM me. I plan on hiking Pearisburg to Harper's Ferry. I will be out the entire month but if you want to meet me somewhere feel free. Always willing to hike with someone new. Oh and don't worry my wife will vouch for me being "safe"....I think.:eek:

C-Stepper
03-23-2006, 09:08
First-- the carolina hikers have a group on yahoo. Check us out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carolinas_hikers/ It's kind of an informal group, but folks will take off for the woods occasionally and invite others along.

I suggest a good "practice" before buying lots of stuff you'll likely regret buying and driving many hours to SNP or GSMNP.

The REI in Cary, NC rents gear. It's not expensive if you're a member, and membership is free. A good place to start might be to rent a sleeping pad, bag, and tent and take the pack you have already.

Then, go for a weekender to Uwharrie National Forest near Asheboro, NC. The Uwharrie Mountains are some of the oldest in the US and are under 1000 feet, the forest is gorgeous, plenty of water, and w/in 1 1/2 hr of Raleigh. The Dutchman's Creek/Uwharrie Trail is a figure 8: one loop is around 9 miles, the other is around 12 miles.

You will also have cell phone service.

This way, you can try stuff out, then evaluate what you like, don't like, and you can THEN spend your hard-earned cash on buying stuff and considering what your "hiking-style" is. Don't let all this overwhelm you

ALSO, just a thought question here--As a fellow runner, I wonder if you are more of a "social bug" or a "lone wolf" type. I'm a runner as well, but my psyche tends STRONGLY toward solitude and solo hiking, not group hiking. You may be happier trying it alone, and learing on your own, on a few short overnights/weekends. Just a thought.

sherrill
03-23-2006, 09:22
I second what C-Stepper says. The Uwharries are a great shakedown hike, I took my wife there last summer to check out her new pack. Not many views unless you took off now before the leaves kick in, but plenty of water and a safe parking area. We did the Uwharrie/Dutchman's creek loop 3day/2night. Not a lot of big uphill/downhill but enough to evaluate how your pack/shoes will feel on the bigger climbs on the AT. (Although there are some sections that are pretty much a vertical climb for short bursts).

Trail Yeti
03-23-2006, 10:20
All good advice. You should also come to Trail Days in Damascus this year....you will be able to check out all sorts of good things about long distance hiking (and its a good party). its about 45 min for me....so 4 hours (assuming it takes 3 hours from Raleigh to boone) drive to get there.
If you go to the REI be sure to find out how much experience the salesperson has. i have been to that REI and was not impressed (although this was a few years ago)....they might have a former thruhiker on staff....if so that is who you want to talk to.
Start easy on overnights....there are all sorts of places in western NC to hike...Pisgah, blueridge, AT....if you are going near Boone let me know and I'll go......

The Solemates
03-23-2006, 10:48
Thanks for all the good advice! :)

As for the pack advice... it sounds like I need to do some reading online. There's also an REI in the area that I could go and try some of these on.

your local REI will not have the packs mentioned in skidsteer's link. those packs are from cottage type industries, and not big companies found in retail stores.

D'Artagnan
03-23-2006, 11:53
If you're near a Barnes & Noble, check out their regional section. I found some great books on hiking in NC when I first got started. They helped me pick out trails that were close to home (that I didn't even know existed) and gave me a lot of options concerning distance, intensity, driving directions, local amenities, etc. (For reference, I live about 30 miles west of Winston-Salem.)

Best of luck. Once the bug bites, there's no cure but to hit the trail!

orangebug
03-23-2006, 15:47
Don't get too overwhelmed with high mileage that is pretty easy for thru hikers with trail legs. Budget your first few hikes at 10-12 miles max, and be amazed, surprised and happy if you match it or exceed it a bit.

The SNP is a quick ride for you, but NC has many excellent spots for weekend hikes. A pretty far ride for you is past Franklin to the Standing Indian Campgrounds and a huge loop of AT and connecting trails. The Smokies (GSMNP) has trails that would take years to exhaust. You have a growing resource with the Mountain to the Sea Trail (MST).

bfitz
03-23-2006, 19:14
Trail Days in Damascus VA is a great time, the weeks just before and after it the trail in that area will be full of hikers, and it's a great place to meet and talk to hikers from all over and get a taste of the hiker "subculture" as well as talk to vendors and gear reps and browse gear from all the big companies, plus the campground is always party central, filled with current and past thruhikers...

http://www.traildays.info/

bfitz
03-23-2006, 19:16
As Trail Yeti has already pointed out...

weathergirl
03-23-2006, 20:52
Trail Days sounds like a good time. I'll have to mark it on my calendar.

C-Stepper... I'm not too much of a lone wolf when I'm running. I prefer to train alone so that I can focus better and not have to worry about a partner. But one of my favorite things about doing races is the opportunity to get out there with other runners, especially now that I'm doing marathons. I mean, if you don't find someone to talk to, what else are you going to do for 4 hours? :)

As for REI, it seems from reading backpack reviews on this site that an REI bag might not be the way to go. A lot of these brands.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=95858&postcount=1
aren't there. I still might go just to try some on and get a feel for what I want to look for in backpack.
How do you take into account fit when you're looking at backpacks online? Should packs be adjustable enough that you don't have to worry about it not fitting right?

Going for some shorter trips at Uwharries sounds like a good idea, especially since it's not that far of a drive.

skymom
03-23-2006, 21:07
Depending on your size/height, you may want to consider a women's pack. I have found that they fit my smaller frame and torso much better than a guy's pack. Many of the websites for various pack companies offer information on how to measure your torso size. The pack should be adjustable so that you can custom fit it to you. Here's a couple of sites that offer some information on fit.

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.FAQ#8
http://www.gregorypacks.com/fit_womans.html

bobgessner57
03-23-2006, 21:41
You can also walk over to Cameron Village from campus and check out the gear at Great Outdoor Provision Company.

See if you can borrow some gear before you buy. There are subtle variations to some of the gear that may drive you nuts or give you tremendous satisfaction and the only way you will know for sure is to use various items to develop a feel for what you want.

Also check out the thrift shops. I have scored a pack, fleeces, and other goodies at the thrift store at Tryon Hills.

Skidsteer
03-23-2006, 21:41
But one of my favorite things about doing races is the opportunity to get out there with other runners, especially now that I'm doing marathons. I mean, if you don't find someone to talk to, what else are you going to do for 4 hours? :)

If you can talk while running a marathon(in 4 hours!),:eek: I doubt you'll find backpacking to be an insurmountable challenge!

I still might go just to try some on and get a feel for what I want to look for in backpack.
How do you take into account fit when you're looking at backpacks online? Should packs be adjustable enough that you don't have to worry about it not fitting right?

It is very helpful to try on a loaded backpack before you purchase. In lieu of that, just make sure of the return policy of packs ordered online.

weathergirl
03-23-2006, 22:37
If you can talk while running a marathon(in 4 hours!),:eek: I doubt you'll find backpacking to be an insurmountable challenge!

Haha, of course the 4 hour mark is just when I lose interest in conversation, probably because I'm hurting and I've got another 3 miles to go! :rolleyes:

weathergirl
03-23-2006, 22:40
You can also walk over to Cameron Village from campus and check out the gear at Great Outdoor Provision Company.

See if you can borrow some gear before you buy. There are subtle variations to some of the gear that may drive you nuts or give you tremendous satisfaction and the only way you will know for sure is to use various items to develop a feel for what you want.

Also check out the thrift shops. I have scored a pack, fleeces, and other goodies at the thrift store at Tryon Hills.

I've never been to that place in Cameron Village. I'll be sure to check it out. If they let you borrow before you buy, that'd be a really great idea for someone like me who's still figuring out what they're looking for.

bbanker
03-24-2006, 22:35
I have done a good bit of hikin' and bikin' Uwharrie and would reccomend this book:

http://www.childrey.com/ulrtg.html

Great trip ideas. Good fun.

20Something
04-02-2006, 15:06
In a 23 year old female in Greenville, NC. I've been backpacking about 3 times, each time at Mount Rogers, and I always went with a group of guys that knew a lot more about it than I did. I always assumed I'd just go with them, but they all have real jobs now and not much time to backpack. So, I've been looking for someone to hike with.

I'd still say I was a novice. I know the basics (how to pitch the tent, bear bag, read a map and elevation lines), but I'm still a little hesitant to go alone. If you wanna try and wing it with me let me know. I'm not wierd. :) And I've just started running again,so I shouldn't hold you back too much.

You're lucky that State has a club. If hiking was beer pong, I'd have no trouble finding one at ECU.

weggers
04-02-2006, 17:49
I've never been to that place in Cameron Village. I'll be sure to check it out. If they let you borrow before you buy, that'd be a really great idea for someone like me who's still figuring out what they're looking for.
Most outdoor stores- especially small, local businesses- won't let you take gear out for a test run. Once gear is used, it's difficult to sell it again. REI rentals are your best bet for just testing things out.

You might find cheap gear at gear swaps. Often these are hosted by university hiking and outdoor clubs. If your club doesn't have a gear swap scheduled, look for used gear at Play It Again Sports, at bulletin boards (local gear shops, coffee shops, etc.), and at garage sales. Have a good idea of what you need before you shop for used gear, since you most likely won't be able to return it. Also have a good idea of prices of new gear before forking over any cash.

fredmugs
04-04-2006, 09:54
I am looking for either someone to hike with or help with shutting in NC. Looking to hike in May sometime but I am flexible. My number one hike is from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam (approx 80 miles). Second would be to go thru GSMNP. I could also do both of these if the timing is right. I am also interested in other stretches as well. I use a hammock so I can pretty much setup wherever I want.

I would also be interested in hiking with someone for their portion and then perhaps having them drop me off somewhere along the trail if you do not want to go as far as I do.

mike22887
04-14-2006, 10:55
If you're still looking for a hiking partner, I'm an Atlanta native, but can easily travel to Raleigh for short 2-3 (maybe 4) day hikes. I'm just recently a high school graduate, so on the younger side, but fairly experienced in hiking. Send me a private message (or, more preferably, e-mail me) if you're interested.
-Michael
P.S. Congratulations on the marathons!

Gaiter
04-19-2006, 00:46
For some great day hikes in NC, go to Pilot Mt. or Hanging Rock State Parks (1.75-2.5 hrs from Raliegh I-40W to hwy 52N then follow signs) Pilot Mt. is right on 52, Hanging rock, not to far off it. Hanging rock has more trails & better views in my opinion. I'm in Winston-Salem, so I go there all the time. I'm going to spend 2 months on the AT this summer w/ my dog (well trained on voice and hand commands, won't be off her leash), starting at Spivey Gap in early June.

Jaybird
04-19-2006, 06:35
Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.........I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune :)

Yo WeatherGirl

You are in my favorite state for hiking!(thus far)

Just head WEST young weathergirl....to the western NC mtns...
around BOONE & Banner Elk....Roan Mtn is a good place to start...the A.T. crosses the top of that mtn...& plenty of trails in ROAN MTN STATE PARK too.

That would give you a good start & a great taste of what "serious hiking" is about.:D good luck!

section-hikin' (w/ "Jigsaw") PEARISBURG-GLASGOW,VA
APR 22-MAY 3

weathergirl
04-19-2006, 17:23
For some great day hikes in NC, go to Pilot Mt. or Hanging Rock State Parks (1.75-2.5 hrs from Raliegh I-40W to hwy 52N then follow signs) Pilot Mt. is right on 52, Hanging rock, not to far off it. Hanging rock has more trails & better views in my opinion. I'm in Winston-Salem, so I go there all the time. I'm going to spend 2 months on the AT this summer w/ my dog (well trained on voice and hand commands, won't be off her leash), starting at Spivey Gap in early June.

Are both of those places good for doing weekend hikes, with one night camping out, or dayhiking?

Belew
04-19-2006, 18:06
Hanging Rock has a car camping area that you can use for a base camp but no camping on the trails. I'm not sure if you can camp at Pilot Mtn. Stone Mtn State Park is really nice also. They have about 5 backwoods campsites and the Mountains to Sea trail passes by a few of them as it enters the park. Stone Mtn is about another hour down the road but worth checking out.

Gaiter
04-19-2006, 21:13
Just for dayhiking and like belew said Hanging Rock has car camping, and I don't think there is any camping @ Pilot Mtn. Pisgah National Forest has some great weekend hikes for like one night or two. One of my fav.s one night is the Wilson Creek Wilderness area (get a map from local outfitter, or online) it has a loop w/ lots and lots of creek crossing and one up hill (so bring your water sandals, wet boots aren't fun). It has some camping sites along the trail.

NCPatrick
04-24-2006, 11:29
There is car camping at Pilot Mtn. Hot showers too, from what I understand.

sherrill
04-24-2006, 12:48
This should give some good info for nc state parks.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/main/visit.html

sherrill
04-24-2006, 12:50
Whoops, wrong button.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/main/visit.html

mcgiver
05-09-2006, 17:25
if your looking for a good place to start on a few trails thats kinda close to home try uwharrie. its not to far form raleigh and the trails are nice

Retsuzen
05-18-2006, 21:29
me and my wife and possibly my 6 year old daughter will be starting at the NC-GA border and heading north as far as 5-8 miles a day for 30 days will take us, last year we Started our hike on the AT at Amacollola falls GA and hiked to the border of NC and GA where we plan on starting in June 06, just a month away. So if your interested in hiking with us 2 or 3 and want good stories and training from experienced hikers, we would more than happy be glad to have you trail along. There are many ways to contact me, from our website, messengers, or email. We could show you all you need to know to hike the AT and before you know it you will be hiking out there as a second religion (believe me its very addictive). See everyone on the trail in June 06 starting at Dicks Creek Gap and heading north to NC-TN border near gattlinburg.

Heater
05-18-2006, 22:03
Master Retsuzen
Hiker, Ninjutsu instructor,

Wow... A Ninja!

Can you just make a big poof of smoke and appear on Katahdin from the Ga/NC border?

:D

Hey, if a bear comes you could just backflip up onto the bear line and hang there with superhuman grip until he leaves... or screw yourself into the ground and dissappear.

Cool! :cool:

Retsuzen
05-24-2006, 17:49
lol nice humor, though a bit common....*sighs Yea Hollywood likes to have fun with peoples minds. Although I CAN do back flips, lol it would just be alot smarter to simply cover my human scent with the scent of the earth and use the wind shear to direct my natural sounds of breathing and smell away from the bear.. OR just leave the bear alone :-) And if I could just poof into smoke and appear on Katahdin, wouldnt that just take all the fun out of it when I have over 2000 miles to practice my stealth and camofladge skills???? :-) Anyway....back to the reason I came to post here anyway:

See everyone on the trail in June 06 starting at Dicks Creek Gap and heading north to NC-TN border near gattlinburg.

The update for our section hike this year is August 2006, then its not going to be as hot as June nor as cold as last Feb, lol. (12 degrees) And why I am at it, is there anyone that has hiked the NC section in the month of August and could lend some information about the terrain and temps there? It would really be alot of help.

Skidsteer
05-24-2006, 18:54
And why I am at it, is there anyone that has hiked the NC section in the month of August and could lend some information about the terrain and temps there? It would really be alot of help.

Parts of it. It was hotter in August than June. YMMV.

Terrain is harder than GA, IMO.

kaminskyp
06-05-2006, 01:47
Im going from amicalola through the SMN starting on this saturday (6/10). You are welcome to join me, Im aiming for 15-20 miles a day.

MedicineMan
06-05-2006, 04:51
parts of it are in your backyard....not to take away from the AT of course...but sometimes you might need a backpacking fix and not feel like the 4 hour drive to the AT...

Teatime
06-06-2006, 04:34
Hi Weathergirl! Do you post on the coolrunning forums? Your handle seemed familiar. Anyway, I live in Fuquay Varina and SNP is not the closest AT Section. Actually, I found that the section in Mount Rogers National Recreation Area is the closest and most convenient. I recommend trying a 2 or 3 day trip starting at Grayson Highlands State Park. Park at the Backpackers overnight parking area in Massy Gap and take the approach trail up to the A.T. Hike north until you hit the Pine Mtn. Trail. Turn left on Pine Mtn. Trail and hike toward Rhododendron Gap, about 2 miles. About a mile past Rhododendron Gap is the Thomas Knob Shelter and just past that is Mt. Rogers. The vicinity of Thomas Knob Shelter has lots of places to pitch a tent. Head back to Rhododendron Gap and take the A.T. North again, which will bring you back to Massy Gap. This is a great weekend circuit hike that I've done twice. The views are spectacular! The USFS grazes wild poneys and allows farmers to graze cattle on the slopes as well. This grazing keeps the vegitation down and it is very alpine looking. R.E.I. has the maps or I could loan you mine.
I will be hikeing the section in NC between Indian Grave Gap and Dennis Cove next week, 6/10 - 6/13.

Earl Grey
08-26-2006, 00:45
You could also check out Morrow Mountain State Park. I plan to go there and field test all my equipment.

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momo/home.html

BigRed
08-28-2006, 11:25
Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in greensboro runs several trips a month, usually limited to 8 or so people, usually one or two nites out last week they did shining rock near ashevillw, next month they are donig linville gorge. If your interested in going with a small group might be worth your while
http://www.brmsstore.com/insideBRMS/store.php?storeID=10

Creek Dancer
08-28-2006, 13:23
Hi Weathergrl. The SNP is a good place to get started. Lots of road crossing and opportunities for assistance at the waysides if you need it.

Also, check out the ODATC website for upcoming group trips. Many are in the SNP. You don't have to be a member to join a trip. The Roanoke Appalchian Trail Club also has great trips.

Some REI's rent backpacking gear. You might check with them.