PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: The 29th Day

illabelle
01-17-2021, 12:25
Just finished a book I received as a Christmas gift: The Twenty-Ninth Day (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52096761-the-twenty-ninth-day) by Alex Messenger.

In 2005 at age 17, the author and five other guys (including a guide) began a long-distance canoe trip through the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

The story is well put together, moving along expeditiously from day to day, with suspense building up to Day 29. The storytelling is both matter-of-fact and emotional, letting you skim through the whitewater and feel the exhilaration and thrill.

JNI64
01-17-2021, 16:00
Cool thanks, I'm not much of a reader but like these non fiction adventures type books. I might look into picking it up for a hike next month in the SNP.

One Half
01-17-2021, 22:04
Just finished a book I received as a Christmas gift: The Twenty-Ninth Day (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52096761-the-twenty-ninth-day) by Alex Messenger.

In 2005 at age 17, the author and five other guys (including a guide) began a long-distance canoe trip through the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

The story is well put together, moving along expeditiously from day to day, with suspense building up to Day 29. The storytelling is both matter-of-fact and emotional, letting you skim through the whitewater and feel the exhilaration and thrill.

you might think about gifting it forward as I have done. I have done this many times with books and have a thread here about my latest one. (which by the way, is available again for the asking)

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/138162-Book-Giveaway-Thread?p=2279154#post2279154

illabelle
01-18-2021, 07:24
Cool thanks, I'm not much of a reader but like these non fiction adventures type books. I might look into picking it up for a hike next month in the SNP.
My husband hates to read also - unless it's a technical manual for automotive work. He says the only book he's ever read is Jack London's To Built a Fire. Is that even a book? I thought it was a short story. LOL
I think he would enjoy this book, but he'd like it better if I read it to him, or if somebody turned it into a movie.

illabelle
01-18-2021, 07:25
you might think about gifting it forward as I have done. I have done this many times with books and have a thread here about my latest one. (which by the way, is available again for the asking)

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/138162-Book-Giveaway-Thread?p=2279154#post2279154
I will keep that in mind. Maybe I'll share it with a few family members, then send it on.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Alligator
01-18-2021, 14:33
My husband hates to read also - unless it's a technical manual for automotive work. He says the only book he's ever read is Jack London's To Built a Fire. Is that even a book? I thought it was a short story. LOL
I think he would enjoy this book, but he'd like it better if I read it to him, or if somebody turned it into a movie.That's a very memorable story which I would also say is a short story but reading is like hiking. Some may think a 3 mile hike is arduous but it helps to humor the person to encourage further activity! A Piece of Steak is another memorable Jack London work I'd recommend if he liked To Built a Fire.

illabelle
01-18-2021, 20:40
That's a very memorable story which I would also say is a short story but reading is like hiking. Some may think a 3 mile hike is arduous but it helps to humor the person to encourage further activity! A Piece of Steak is another memorable Jack London work I'd recommend if he liked To Built a Fire.

I'll have to look that up. I read Call of the Wild and White Fang at least twice as a youth. Never ran across A Piece of Steak.

TNhiker
01-18-2021, 21:44
I read Call of the Wild

i'll give you a hint about this book-----don't start reading it when you crawl into tent for the night....

especially when the hogs that were around the campsite (CS 28 in GSMNP)...

i gave up after a few paragraphs.....

i didnt need a description of animals in a book running around, while i had animals
running around my tent....

your mileage may vary though...