PDA

View Full Version : down jacket as an underquilt?

hobbit
03-22-2006, 22:52
i've been thinking (a dangerous thing) and have come across the idea to turn my down jacket into an underquilt (as i am a warm sleeper and only get the coldspot on my shoulders) I was thinking maybe get some elastic cord and sew small loops onto at least four corners of my jacket and then set up as an underquilt that i could also wear around camp etc. Has anyone else tried this or would i be better off just wearing it while sleeping

neo
03-22-2006, 23:05
i've been thinking (a dangerous thing) and have come across the idea to turn my down jacket into an underquilt (as i am a warm sleeper and only get the coldspot on my shoulders) I was thinking maybe get some elastic cord and sew small loops onto at least four corners of my jacket and then set up as an underquilt that i could also wear around camp etc. Has anyone else tried this or would i be better off just wearing it while sleeping

i prefer wearing mine in my hammock:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-22-2006, 23:08
Now that's an interesting idea. I'd start by using binder clips...see how many it takes to get a good fit, and what locations you need them in. Some thoughts:

Just a guess...you'll need at least six connection points - three evenly spaced along each zipper. Put a loop of shockcord on the jacket, the put some shockcord with a cordlock on the hammock at the corresponding locations. Then wrap the loop around the cordlock to attach the jacket to the quilt. To adjust for fit, slide the cordlock up and down.

It'll probably help if the jacket has a drawstring hem, and you'll likely need to find a way to close off where the collar meets the hammock.

What will you do with the sleeves? If you let them hang, they might get wet or muddy. If you turn them inside out, they might cause air gaps between the jacket and hammock, which cause cold spots. Maybe you could put a small loop at the sleeves (like a mitten loop), and hook the sleeves to one of the cordlocks.

Hrm...now you got me thinking! I usually just use mine as a pillow or something.

Good luck with it, and be sure to post pics when you're done. I'd really like to include this on my website if you get some good pics and don't mind me using them.

hobbit
03-22-2006, 23:10
thanks jeff and if i get it to work well then i'll for sure post some picks. happy hiking

longshank
03-23-2006, 04:03
what is the temp rating of your bag? If you're having prob's with the cold, you might want to try a bag cover. I use the marmot helium, which has a 10-15deg. rating, I beleive...I found that using a Montbell breeze dry-tech UL cover I gained another 15 deg. rating on my bag, and was able to sleep comfortably @ 0 deg. I'm not sure what you mean by turning the liner into an underquilt. I would guess that it would be easier just to wear it to bed.

peter_pan
03-23-2006, 07:43
Hobbit,

Position it to cover your but and lower back as top priority.

Pan

hammock engineer
03-23-2006, 09:13
what is the temp rating of your bag? If you're having prob's with the cold, you might want to try a bag cover. I use the marmot helium, which has a 10-15deg. rating, I beleive...I found that using a Montbell breeze dry-tech UL cover I gained another 15 deg. rating on my bag, and was able to sleep comfortably @ 0 deg. I'm not sure what you mean by turning the liner into an underquilt. I would guess that it would be easier just to wear it to bed.

A little different in the hammock than on the ground. When you lay in the bag, it compresses the insulation decreasing it's warmth. Then you get the cold air moving underneath you cooling you through convection. An underquilt basically simulates you suspended in a sleeping bag.

orangebug
03-23-2006, 11:14
There are bags/quilts that are designed to be worn around camp much as a longcoat. For instance, a quilt's toebox can work as a hood until you are ready to get to sleep.

hobbit
03-23-2006, 17:05
There are bags/quilts that are designed to be worn around camp much as a longcoat. For instance, a quilt's toebox can work as a hood until you are ready to get to sleep.

i've looked into those but i don't think that it is as practical as a down jacket cut for your body instead of the long coat. thats why i was thinking it would be worth it to make the jacket work as an underquilt. thanks for your reply

Just Jeff
03-23-2006, 17:35
Did you check JRB's No Sniveller? Check the bottom of this page: http://www.tothewoods.net/JRB.html

hobbit
03-23-2006, 17:53
yeah that thing is pretty nice but i still think that i wouldn't wear it around camp because of its shape. also i do not have 269 dollars for an underquilt! thanks for the reply