PDA

View Full Version : looking for the most lightwieght, weatherproof hammock on the market...

longshank
03-23-2006, 02:40
Any suggestions?

fivefour
03-23-2006, 09:54
i just ordered a hennessy ultralight asym ... i will let you know how i like it.

neo
03-23-2006, 09:57
Any suggestions?

here ya go:cool: neo

THE ADVENTURE RACER 15oz./180 lb
At 15 ozs, nothing comes close for comfort, light weight and protection for racers under 5'10'' or 180 lbs. Recommended for racing only, where durability is sacrificed for light weight. Limited one year guarantee.

$169.95
CALL TO ORDER (888) 539-2930 in US and Can, or Int. (250) 539-2930 Int

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue-hammocks.htm

fivefour
03-23-2006, 10:09
i passed on that one due to the durability sacrifice ...

hammock engineer
03-23-2006, 10:18
If you want the most light weight option. Check out one of the speer designs. It is basically a big piece of nylon. Throw a tarp over it and your good to go. I like my HH Explorer ultralight. It is pretty comfortable, I haven't tried any others, and it offers bug protection. Stock in the stuff sack it weighs 36.2 oz. Plus it works for people like me, I weigh 220 lbs.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 11:41
i gotta agree with neo... that adventure racer is the lightest i've seen... i made my daughter a speer out of 1.1 wt silnylon, with a bug net, and it weighs 17 oz... there are durability issues, but the AR is the lightest option with a bugnet. you could make a netless speer from silk that would weigh less. up to you...

my choice for a best 'average' of convenience, size, durability, weight, bugnet, and weather protection is a HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym with an 8 x 8 fly... that runs about 2 and a quarter lbs...

6 x 8 tarp and a foam pad on the ground is lighter... but i don't carry a hammock for its light weight, but for the 'mix' of protection and comfort it gives me...

Just Jeff
03-23-2006, 12:48
My homemade Speer-type w/o bugnet weighs 8 oz, plus 3 for supports.

IIRC, a stock Speer with bugnet weighs ~20 oz w/o the tarp (about what a HH UL Backpacker weighs w/o the tarp).

Seeker
03-23-2006, 14:22
[quote=Just Jeff]My homemade Speer-type w/o bugnet weighs 8 oz, plus 3 for supports. quote]

that's way light! what from? single ply of silnylon? (or maybe my ropes are too heavy... hmm...)

neo
03-23-2006, 14:47
Any suggestions?

welcome to the hammock hanging crowd longshanks,you and mcquest will be a great addition to use hammock hangers,me and my buddy napster think you guys are the greatest,you really know how to keep it fun.:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-23-2006, 15:00
that's way light! what from? single ply of silnylon? (or maybe my ropes are too heavy... hmm...)

Single sheet of untreated ripstop nylon. I think the DWR would be stronger, but I wanted more breathability because I was in the humid south. I have some heavier untreated RN, too - I'm deciding between that (olive drab) and gray DWR for my next one. I don't want to use silnylon because I like underquilts and want to preserve the breathability.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 18:53
hmm... i'll have to relook that... mine is a double layer of silnylon (same as that sample i sent you), so a blue pad fits in between just right... that would be about half the weight of my HH once i got it rebuilt...

hmm... (i see a weekend project coming on... )