PDA

View Full Version : Why We Hike...In Her own Words

DawnTreader
03-23-2006, 03:12
First Woman to Thru-hike the AT in one season. First recorded Flip/flop.

"If you are free, I recommend a hiking trip on a wilderness footpath. How inspiring it is to walk all day in the sunshine and sleep all night under the stars. What a wonderful experience in simple, natural living. Since you carry your food, sleeping equipment, etc., on your back, you learn quickly that unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens. You soon realize what the essentials of life are--such as warmth when you are cold, a dry spot on a rainy day, the simplest food when you are hungry, pure cool water when you are thirsty. You soon put material things in their proper place, realizing that they are there for use, but relinquishing them when they are not useful. You soon experience and learn to appreciate the great freedom of simplicity."

Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Works in Her Own Words - Pg.54

25,000 +miles http://www.peacepilgrim.org/ap_trail.htm

This is why I hike:D

Hammock Hanger
03-23-2006, 09:45
interesting... thanks for sharing.

Moxie00
03-23-2006, 10:06
Thank you for sharing that. I am a student of the trail, have over 50 books either about the AT ar backpacking in general with refrences to the AT. I am amazed I was not aware of her accomplishment.

DawnTreader
03-23-2006, 11:20
This was very moving for me when I first stumbled upon it on a google search. Her words have an air of truth and meaning, that I think all of us "students" can learn from. She walked for inner peace, and found it, likely on the appalachian trail. She was a minimalist to the extreme, the first ultralight backpacker, and an amazing woman. We are all in her debt, and should strive for the peace that she found.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-23-2006, 13:09
My grandma, a devout Catholic who walked miles and miles each day until about five years ago (she's 97 now) gave me Peace Pilgrim's book when I was a teenager. I was so moved and inspired by it even at that cynical age, that bits and pieces of it still pop into my head at random moments.