PDA

View Full Version : has anyone hiked the ozark highlands trail?

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:58
I'm really geared up to tackle it this summer, wondering if anyone has done it and can share anything with me about their experience?

neo
03-23-2006, 08:56
I'm really geared up to tackle it this summer, wondering if anyone has done it and can share anything with me about their experience?

no,but i plan to:cool: neo

Skeemer
03-23-2006, 10:11
the OHT and OT this winter. I prefered the Ouachita Trail. It is very similar to the AT with some nicely maintained shelters (sorry LW). It is a well blazed and well maintained trail.

Warning: Section 1 and part of 2 is all hilly rock hopping and can be aggravating.

There's a great shuttle service guy in the middle and it goes through a great park. I recommend doing it WEBO. That way you can visit the Clinton Library in Little Rock. There is also a great outfitter in Little Rock if you need anything before you start.

The OHT is okay but not close to anything but trees and rocks. The footpath often disappears and I got lost over and over...but then I can't tell ***** from shinola.

I journaled them both at www.trailjournals.com

Take Care & Hike On!

The Solemates
03-23-2006, 10:51

you do not want to do this trail in the summer. trust me, you will be miserable. the heat, ticks, and mosquitos are terrible, and the creeks will be dried up. The trail is also severely overgrown in the summer and you will lose the trail many times. Fall and winter hiking on the OHT is best. i can go into more detail if you want...

Skeemer
03-23-2006, 12:45
Solemates wrote:
you do not want to do this trail in the summer. trust me, you will be miserable.

One minor little detail I left out...sorry.:o

Omni
03-24-2006, 20:56
I did section one from the lake to White Rock twice before it was closed to raise the dam. Last Christmas we did section two and plan on doing section three over Easter weekend. I would not do it later than April or earlier than late October or you will be miserable. Other than that it is just a trail, pick up the guide book by Tim Ernst and give it a read.

Omni

Cookerhiker
03-25-2006, 16:07
the OHT and OT this winter. I prefered the Ouachita Trail. It is very similar to the AT with some nicely maintained shelters (sorry LW). It is a well blazed and well maintained trail.

Warning: Section 1 and part of 2 is all hilly rock hopping and can be aggravating.

There's a great shuttle service guy in the middle and it goes through a great park. I recommend doing it WEBO. That way you can visit the Clinton Library in Little Rock. There is also a great outfitter in Little Rock if you need anything before you start....I journaled them both at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)

Take Care & Hike On!

Skeemer, thanks. I'm probably tackling the Ouchita Trail in the next 2 years. I may ask you for further advice.

neo
03-25-2006, 18:25
Skeemer, thanks. I'm probably tackling the Ouchita Trail in the next 2 years. I may ask you for further advice.

i hear that a great trail to:cool: neo

longshank
04-03-2006, 11:37
Thanks everyone.

jeepcj258
04-03-2006, 13:43
I hiked part of the OHT last month. VERY NICE. It was cold. I would suggest a winter trip through this area.