PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Walking -- A new Sport

rickb
03-23-2006, 07:47
These guys are brilliant. The marketing folks that is.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/03/23/a_marketplace_driven_sport_makes_strides_in_the_us/

Skidsteer
03-23-2006, 07:55
Hooboy. I'm nearly speechless.

Marta
03-23-2006, 08:19
Where can I sign up? ;-)

Mags
03-23-2006, 11:48
No doubt running magazine, fitness magazines and outdoor magazines will now have articles toting the effectiveness of Nordic Walking for training, have gear reviews and ads to match them...

hikerjohnd
03-23-2006, 12:06
I bet the poles cost more than my lekis... Oh wait... :)

Mags
03-23-2006, 12:38
I bet the poles cost more than my lekis... Oh wait... :)

Used ski poles my friends - $10. I thought of that, too. :D

Toolshed
03-23-2006, 14:02
Yawn .... another yuppie sport - For older yups.
becuaseI use two poles due to reconstructive knee surgery and a some heart valve operations, now I'm gonna get peppered with stupid questions when I am out dayhiking and the Nordic walkers set loose like a bunch of cicadas.....

"Are you a Nordic Walker.... because your doing it wrong....?"
What Kind of Poles do you have....?"
"Where do you do most of your Nordic training....?"
"Is that a special Nordic Walking pack or did you improvise...?"
"If you lengthen your poles by 3CM's you can get a bigger powerstroke.."
"My Nordic trainer told me these $$$ shoes are the best...What do you wear?"
"I see you don't have any of these $$$ Leather workout gloves - You must not be serious about Noric Walking..."

....GRrrrr.........

wacocelt
03-23-2006, 15:07
L.Wolf is gonna LOVE this... hehehe.

weary
03-23-2006, 15:37
These guys are brilliant. The marketing folks that is.
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/03/23/a_marketplace_driven_sport_makes_strides_in_the_us/
Well, the new fad suggests that something I've always believed remains true. Carrying stuff -- like heavy packs, two walking sticks, or even two cans of tomato soup -- takes more energy than just walking. So from an exercise perspective, nordic walking makes sense.

And no, I'm not interested in a new debate over the wisdom of walking sticks. You've convinced me that they help you walk faster and feel more comfortable, and maybe even save some knee problems. I'm still doubtful about preventing falls. And of course the trail damage is a constant.

So what's a few more calories burned on a 2,175 mile walk.

Weary