PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sub Freezing hanging

hammock engineer
03-23-2006, 09:39
I decided to take advantage of the cold weather we are having in Cincinnati to try out my cold weather system last night.

Gear used and wearing:
HH Explorer Ultralight
JRB No Sniveller underquilt (decided aganist making my own)
cheap cc pad
Mont-Bell Super Stretch 2 bag (5-15*)
wool socks
mid weight long underwear tops/bottoms
swim trunks (minus lining)
100 weight fleece
wool hat
200 weight fleece coat (used as pillow)

I set up around 11:30 pm after work. I started off with no cc pad, and used the sleeping bag as a top quilt. After a few minutes and a couple adjustments to the underquilt, I still had a couple cold spots. I added the cc pad only under my butt to cover the cold spots. After listening to the neighbors dog bark for a while, I fell asleep at around 12 am.

I woke up at 5:30 am to take care of some business. When I got back in, I had to lay completly on my cc pad and inside of my sleeping bag zipped up to get warm again. I quickly fell back asleep. I woke up at 7:30 am nice and rested.

My feet started off cold, but I think this was because they were cold from setting up late. I noticed they were not warming up. They were off of the underquilt at the bottom. I put my fleece coat underneath them until they warmed up. I then moved the fleece coat back to use as a pillow.

Weather.com said the overnight temp got to around 15 degrees. I don't have a thermometer, but it felt close to that at 5:30 am. My setup needs some work. I think I still need to fine tune my underquilt adjustment. But I think I was a little below what it is rated for to start with.

All and all another happy first time cold hanger report.

neo
03-23-2006, 10:02
I decided to take advantage of the cold weather we are having in Cincinnati to try out my cold weather system last night.

Gear used and wearing:
HH Explorer Ultralight
JRB No Sniveller underquilt (decided aganist making my own)
cheap cc pad
Mont-Bell Super Stretch 2 bag (5-15*)
wool socks
mid weight long underwear tops/bottoms
swim trunks (minus lining)
100 weight fleece
wool hat
200 weight fleece coat (used as pillow)

I set up around 11:30 pm after work. I started off with no cc pad, and used the sleeping bag as a top quilt. After a few minutes and a couple adjustments to the underquilt, I still had a couple cold spots. I added the cc pad only under my butt to cover the cold spots. After listening to the neighbors dog bark for a while, I fell asleep at around 12 am.

I woke up at 5:30 am to take care of some business. When I got back in, I had to lay completly on my cc pad and inside of my sleeping bag zipped up to get warm again. I quickly fell back asleep. I woke up at 7:30 am nice and rested.

My feet started off cold, but I think this was because they were cold from setting up late. I noticed they were not warming up. They were off of the underquilt at the bottom. I put my fleece coat underneath them until they warmed up. I then moved the fleece coat back to use as a pillow.

Weather.com said the overnight temp got to around 15 degrees. I don't have a thermometer, but it felt close to that at 5:30 am. My setup needs some work. I think I still need to fine tune my underquilt adjustment. But I think I was a little below what it is rated for to start with.

All and all another happy first time cold hanger report.

JRB No Sniveller underquilt (decided aganist making my own)excellent decision,cool hammock hanging report:cool: neo

Seeker
03-23-2006, 11:44
good job...

the underquilt 'hang' is critical... even a slight error, and cold air gets in.

you can use a small piece of foam under your feet... i use my butt pad (that i carry to sit on) for that. also helpful for keeping my lower back warm.

Just Jeff
03-23-2006, 12:45
Good job - really gives you confidence to sleep that low, huh?

If your feet were off the quilt, you probably should adjust it differently. Unless you're taller than 78"!

Good idea to use the sit pad as a range extender, though.

hammock engineer
03-23-2006, 13:09
It does feel good to get a cold night in. I do need to adjust the quilt. I started all the way down in the hammock, with most of the quilt above me.

I am going to try it again during the day when someone else is around to help me get the adjustment right.

Anyone try putting a pad between the underquilt and the hammock? This would help keep it in place. Or is this going to take away a lot of the quilt's insulation properties?

Doctari
03-23-2006, 13:30
Dude! I was out near where you live around 2:00 this AM, yep it was a bit coolish out. I didn't think to check the temp, my partner said it was very cold (she can tell, I can't) Decidedly sub freezing, as a 2 - 3" deep puddle (at around Noon @ work) in the parking lot just up the road from you was solid ice 14 hrs later.

Glad it worked :cool:

Doctari.