PDA

View Full Version : lightweight pack suggestions ?

fivefour
03-23-2006, 10:13
what do you guys use ? any horror stories from a pack being too ultralight ? i am looking for cu. in. and weight of pack if you guys know that as well.

the goat
03-23-2006, 10:31
what do you guys use ? any horror stories from a pack being too ultralight ? i am looking for cu. in. and weight of pack if you guys know that as well.

i hiked with a dude in '01 who had too m uch weight in his golite pack (a/b 40 pounds or a little less). it was cutting off the circulation to his arms....not very fun i imagine.

fivefour
03-23-2006, 10:43
i hiked with a dude in '01 who had too m uch weight in his golite pack (a/b 40 pounds or a little less). it was cutting off the circulation to his arms....not very fun i imagine.

AHHHH ! so a pack can carry weight over the recommended limit but it can put stress on you as well as the pack. never thought about that before. i was thinking as long as the bottom doesn't fall out then all is good. thanks goat.

the goat
03-23-2006, 10:50
AHHHH ! so a pack can carry weight over the recommended limit but it can put stress on you as well as the pack. never thought about that before. i was thinking as long as the bottom doesn't fall out then all is good. thanks goat.

no problem. yeah, lighter packs are generally geared towards carrying less weight, and therefore have less padding in the shoulders & hips, which can cause a pack to sag, dig into you, and generally not support the load.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 11:23
disclaimer: i don't like to define myself as an 'ultralighter', but by some definitions, i guess i am. just know that it's not a label i "wear" proudly... it's just what happened to me when i started thinking more about what i carry, and why. i belittle no one who carries 60 lbs or more... HYOH. ask me how i do things, and if you learn something you can use to lighten your load, great. it's sort of eternally summer here from march through september, with some spring/fall weather from november through february... but i carry about a 12-13 lb base weight, on average. the only things i'd change for cooler temps might be to add an extra pound of sleeping bag (caribou up to alpinlite)... so still under 15lbs... add food and water and i'm still at somewhere between 20-25lbs. if that makes me something, so be it. that said:

i use a golite gust. full up, it weighs 21 oz... i've removed the foam back pad and some odd straps, and it now weighs about 20oz. it has a small waist belt if i need it, and has plenty of room... i love it, and don't need to crush my down bag or hammock underquilt to make it all fit. carries my 20lb loads just fine. i probably have 12-14" of pack left over when i'm rolling up the top.

yeah, if you overload it, you'll get the shoulder strap/tournequet thing going, but if you insist on carrying that much stuff, just get a sturdier pack... don't blame the pack for your overloading it... sort of like blaming a car for hitting a pedestrian, or a ball for breaking a window... or blaming the drop-stoppers company for their raingear not holding up to bushwhacking... or the builder of a 30 ton bridge for it's collapsing under a 40-ton load. bad **** doesn't always just happen... it's usually caused, if inadvertantly... and overloading a lightweight backpack is not an accident... it's designed to comfortably carry a certain amount of stuff and weight... exceed it at your own risk.

fivefour
03-23-2006, 12:14
thanks seeker. i am trying to cut weight where i can but it's not of the upmost importance for me. i have hiked with a pack weight upwards of 70 pounds but have started cutting weight where i could and have gotten it down to just over 40 pounds. i think anywhere in the mid 30's will be fine for me. so i guess i need to shop for a pack with a weight limit around 40 then ?

hikerjohnd
03-23-2006, 12:27

I just got an essence pack from six moon designs. Weighs in at about 13 ozs. I have not had it out yet, but loading it at home and playing around with it, I am very impressed. It is supposed to carry a 30lb load easily and is geared towards folks with a 10lb base. I am right there in the summer a bit heavier in the winter... It is very roomy (I still have not filled the top pocket) and I hope will prove durable in the long run.

It is at least worth looking at...

vipahman
03-23-2006, 12:30
Having converted myself from a ridiculous summer big 4 weight of 26 lbs to 4 lbs, and a total weight of 50 lbs to 13 lbs, I think I'm well on my way to ultralight enlightenment.

That said, I would suggest you re-evaluate your gear. And then go with a pack that takes all that weight and volume. I'm sure you'll get it under 30 lbs by the time you are done. Heck my winter (0-30F) pack weighs only 17 lbs including snowshoes.

soccrosse
03-23-2006, 19:05
Try the Equinox Katahdin. The pack is fairly inexpensive and the as bought weight is 20 oz. I have cut back on the excess strapping and it weighs in at 15 oz. The pack is both durable and comfortable as long as you keep your pack weight under 27 lbs. Since the pack is a top loader with a drawstring I keep clothing and other essentials in a plastic trash line. I have used it on several extended 3 plus week trips over the past two years and have been very pleased with it's performance. The shoulder straps and hip belt are well padded and comfortable.

stag3
03-23-2006, 20:44

I use a Nibus Ozone, 3 # but really confortable. I unually carry 16 # total plus food and water. This puts the first step out weight at about 25#, maybe 30# for week. This is a great pack. I've never used any of the super light weight packs so I cann't help on this. Stag

g8trh8tr
03-23-2006, 23:11
I use the Gossamer Gear G4 and it works great for me but I wouldn't carry over 30 pounds in it. The shoulder straps and hip belt have velcro openings so you can add/remove the padding as necessary to tailor it to your personal preference/load. It weighs 16 oz. Happy hunting.

calearn
03-23-2006, 23:49
If you get a nylon pack like the Gossamer or six moon designs, especially one that hasn't been tested much yet; it may or may not make complete a thru hike depending on how full you stuff it, how rough you are with it, and how well it was designed. That said there have been many people that have completed a through hike with a G4. The jury is still out on the Mariposa and Essence as they are fairly new. I know of at least one failure with the Mariposa last year. Several people are hiking with these packs this year so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

If you get a stronger pack like the Golite Gust or ULA, it will hold up but weigh a little more.

Another thing to keep in mind is that small packs like the Essence don't hold a lot of extra gear so you already need to be light weight across the board before your gear will fit in one. And, as already mentioned, these packs are all uncomfortable when carrying more gear than the manufacture recommends.

verber
03-24-2006, 01:49

For light weight I would recommend the granite gear vapor trail. 2lbs, really comfortable, handles 2200-3200ci easily (you can push it to 3600ci), carries up to 25lbs like a dream, up to 35lbs well.

Experience with lots of other packs at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html

JoeHiker
03-24-2006, 14:32
I tried to hike with 25-28 pounds in a Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak for a couple of weeks last fall. It started to fall apart on me. My own fault for not being aware of the 20 pound limit that pack has. -- though I still don't understand how anyone could possibly fill up the volume that thing carries and still be only 20 pounds. Not a horror story really because some friends who were coming to join me for a weekend brought my trust GG Vapor Trail as a replacement. But in the future, the pack itself is one place where weight is secondary to fit and sturdiness for me.

fivefour
03-24-2006, 17:59
Try the Equinox Katahdin.

is this an Equinox ?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=172

it is what i am currently considering.

fivefour
03-24-2006, 18:00
and thanks for all the help and suggestions !

Whistler
03-25-2006, 11:44
I think the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, [32oz 3600ci] is a great starting point. That one gets great reviews everywhere. If you're willing to go a bit lighter and watch your baseweight, the Six Moon Designs Starlite [23, 3500], GoLite Jam [21, 2700], and Gossamer Gear Mariposa [14, 3600] are great choices. They don't have a lot of reviews out for them yet, but also check out the latest models from ULA--great reputation and worksmanship.

Lots of good choices that cater to different styles. Good luck with your pack hunt.
-Mark

fivefour
03-27-2006, 11:27
For light weight I would recommend the granite gear vapor trail. 2lbs, really comfortable, handles 2200-3200ci easily (you can push it to 3600ci), carries up to 25lbs like a dream, up to 35lbs well.

Experience with lots of other packs at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html

35 pounds to 40 pounds maybe ?

joel137
03-27-2006, 11:59
This is not based on personal experience, other than trying a ULAP-2 in a store for a while; so take it for what its worth.

But I'd be careful about loading 40 lbs in a 2lb pack.

Beachwalker
03-27-2006, 12:06
Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor here, 42 ounces, but its a full 3800 cubes and has panel loading, which I have come to swear by.

-- BW

hawkeye
03-27-2006, 12:16
Ultralight Adventure Equipment's P2 ,good up to 40lb loads
www.ula-equipment.com

brancher
03-27-2006, 12:27

I use a Nibus Ozone, 3 # but really confortable. I unually carry 16 # total plus food and water. This puts the first step out weight at about 25#, maybe 30# for week. This is a great pack. I've never used any of the super light weight packs so I cann't help on this. Stag

Same here.
But I have GG Nimbus Latitude. Both great packs, good weight-carrying capacity, but with shoulder/hip support.

By the way, I admire you for having carried around 70 lbs. If you're at 40 lbs. now, good. But you still have a ways to go. I was able to go from 50 to about 26 lbs (with food & water) without too much science.

Pedestrian
03-27-2006, 14:44
This is not based on personal experience, other than trying a ULAP-2 in a store for a while; so take it for what its worth.

But I'd be careful about loading 40 lbs in a 2lb pack.

I own a ULA XP-2 (special configuration for Mountain Crossing Store at Neels Gap, GA).

It can carry 35 lbs fairly well but at 40 lbs the hip belt collapses and the frame sheet flexes excessively. It is built extremely well. I believe it would survive 40 lbs for good long while.

Remember, the pack should be your last choice. First lighten your load as much as you feel fits your needs. Then pick a pack designed to carry that load.

My load usually runs about 32 lbs. The ULA XP-2 carries this with no problems and is very comfortable. I have finally found my pack.

fivefour
03-27-2006, 15:30

does the numbus ozone have a water bottle pocket ?

fivefour
03-28-2006, 11:20
i just purchased the granite gear vapor trail. thanks for the help guys !

fivefour
03-31-2006, 10:17
my vapor trail arrived yesterday. i am packing it for a test drive walk around the neighborhood this weekend. i am slightly concerned about the material used to create the side pockets. does anyone know how it holds up ? i have seen similar fabric on other items and it seemed to blow out or lose its stretch.

JoeHiker
03-31-2006, 18:10
my vapor trail arrived yesterday. i am packing it for a test drive walk around the neighborhood this weekend. i am slightly concerned about the material used to create the side pockets. does anyone know how it holds up ? i have seen similar fabric on other items and it seemed to blow out or lose its stretch.
I haven't heard any reports of them wearing. I sure haven't seen any wear on mine but I haven't used it enough. Most people find those side pockets useless anyway(due to the straps going over them) and so do not use them.

Footslogger
03-31-2006, 18:14
I have a Vapor Trail circa 2003. The stretch side pockets on that vintage pack had a turned over seam at the top. Only thing that happened so far to my pack in terms of wear/tear (2200 miles and going strong) is that the seam let go from putting things in/taking them out of the pocket. One of these days I might take a needle and thread and sew it back down.

'Slogger

fivefour
03-31-2006, 18:52
cool, thanks ... and one more question. why is the "extension sleeve" that cinches over the inside so long ? i know on other packs i have owned it was so the pack would expand to hold more but GOODNESS ! the extension on this pack is longer than the pack itself ! it makes getting things in and out harder in my opinion. there has to be a good reason.

stag3
03-31-2006, 19:19

My GG Ozone is like that. I guess the most I've used is half of it. With some sicsors and thread you could shorten it:eek: ...no, no, bad idea.

I roll mine to the outside when I'm packing and this works. If left at the full length, it is a bit clumsy to pack

I think you'll like your pack.

Stag

fivefour
04-02-2006, 02:09
down to 22.5 without food, but with 2L of water. i think i can pull this off. the more i pack and unpack the vapor trail the more i like it.:-? ;)

Phreak
04-02-2006, 11:35
I use the Granite Gear Vapor Trail when I know I'll be carrying under 30 pounds.

soccrosse
04-22-2006, 14:17
Five 0 Four - the link you posted is for an Equinox.

JJB
04-22-2006, 15:12
I just want to throw in my two cents. I just got back from a four day on Mass. part of the AT. It was the first time out with the Osprey Atmos 50.
It is a 3000"/ 50l. pack that weighs 2'13'' so it isn't an ultralite but close.
It fits like nothing I've ever had on my back in that size. I had about 30 lbs+ in it at the start and it rocked. It has a little bit more as far as conveniences than the GG Vapor Trail. I also thought it carried a load better and the water bladder in the back panel trick is the best. Although if I hadn't tried the Osprey I was buying a Vapor Trail.Peace J.J.B.

fivefour
04-22-2006, 15:17
i did four days in the smokys last weekend with the vapor trail. absolutely loved it. i don't have anything to compare it to, so other packs might fit/feel better but it would have to feel awfully good to beat the vapor trail.

Garrett
05-02-2006, 12:06
I am looking at buying an Osprey Atmos 50. I expect to be at 35lbs with a weeks food, fuel, and water. However, I like going as long as possible without stopping for more fuel and food. Other than being uncomfortalbe, do I have to worry about overloading ruining the pack?

Also, I am relatively new to whiteblaze, is posting an unrelated question on someone else's thread not proper etiquette? should I have started a new one?

Thanks!

stag3
05-02-2006, 12:20
does the numbus ozone have a water bottle pocket ?

Five four,

Yes, the internal holder is good for a 3 liter Camelbak. Some WBers lay the Camelbak on top, but I find the internal space better at keeping water cool.

If you have a regular bottle--like the gatoraid 1 liter-it will fit in the outside pockets. Problem is it will be almost inmpossible to reach. My Gregory Shasta has an external bottle holder that is built for easy use without having to remove the pack--not so for GG.

fivefour
05-02-2006, 16:56
thanks stag ... i figured it all out. and you're right about that outside pocket, it's almost impossible to get things in and out without removing a shoulder strap. but it happens often enough to make me try several times before i fail.

and garrett from what i have noticed in my short time here, is that people in the gear forums don't really care about hijacking others hijacking threads. as far as your quesiton, i have no idea. haven't seen that pack yet, but you have come to the right place for answers !

JJB
05-03-2006, 09:53
Garret,
The Atmos 50 is pretty bomb proof within reason. 35 lbs would be pushing it as far comfort. But as a leaving town weight it would be fine. It is a light weight piece of gear so you can't compress it with a foot in it like I used to do with my "C" bag coming home on leave, but it will carry 50 l. of gear very comfortably. I have had out again last week end and my initial impression still stands. It's a great piece of gear and hope to be using it for a long time to come. Peace J.J.B.

ivanputski
05-03-2006, 10:00
I have a ULA P-2 backpack for sale. 125.00 Thats 1/2 of the retail price. Only used it for a 20 day hike. I was carring between 30-38 lbs .

DLFrost
05-08-2006, 01:23
why is the "extension sleeve" that cinches over the inside so long ? i know on other packs i have owned it was so the pack would expand to hold more but GOODNESS ! the extension on this pack is longer than the pack itself ! it makes getting things in and out harder in my opinion. there has to be a good reason.
Part of the extra length is to allow overloading. (Fleece can be gotten ultralight in weight, but it's still bulky.) The rest of it is so you can roll it over and over and get a waterproof seal kinda like a dry bag.

I'm also a big Osprey fan--Aether 60 fall thru spring. But I got a look at some of the Six Moon Designs packs over at the trail fest in Hot Springs recently and I was mightily impressed. I would check both of those brands out if I were pack hunting today.

Doug Frost