PDA

View Full Version : overnight parking at Dick's Creek Gap

sanderhike
03-23-2006, 12:05
Hi all. Never posted here before so bear with me. I'm going to hike for about 7 days, Springer to Dick's Creek Gap, and am wondering about the trail head at DCG, and if I can leave a car there for 7 days. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sanderhike

bulldog49
03-23-2006, 12:37
There is a small parking area there in plain sight of the road. Don't know how safe it would be to leave a car there. Might be safer to leave you car at Amicalola.

Doctari
03-23-2006, 12:46
The Blueberry patch is 3.5 West of DCG (on the left) I'd park there. Blueberry patch 706-896-4893 5038 Hwy 76 E [Or: Upper Hightower trout farm, 7150 Canaan Dr (1.5 W) 706-896-8959] Hiawassee Ga 30546

Maybe not exacty what you are planning (hike straight to car?). Probably a bit safer than in a public parking lot. I always imagine walking to a trailhead, & finding an empty parking space where my car had been.
Even if they don't ask, leave a donation please.

Doctari.

blitz134
03-23-2006, 12:55
We parked there the other weekend with no problems. It is on a main highway so it sees lots of people coming by. I'm always a little concerned about leaving my truck on the side of the road. I don't necessarily feel any safer leaving my truck at the end of a forest service road either.

For the most part this seems like a decent spot though.

max patch
03-23-2006, 13:04
The parking area is on the main road between Clayton and Hiawasse. I wouldn't characterize it as "small" -- it is paved and is a parking area that is off the road. I would'nt worry about leaving a vehicle there.

If leaving your car is a concern then the suggestion about the Blueberry Patch is a good one. Another consideration would be to contact the Mull Motel in Hiawassee. A lot of t-hikers stay there and are shuttled back to the trail. They may allow you to park there in exchange for a nights stay. About 15 miles away, so take that into consideration.

Parking at Amicalola would be very safe.

I've left my car at every road crossing in GA at one time or another over the last 30 years and no problems yet.

sanderhike
03-23-2006, 13:58
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely check into the Blueberry Patch. I've heard a lot about it but did not consider parking there.

As far as parking at Amicalola, does anyone have any feelings on a preferred direction (from Springer to DCG or vice versa)? It doesn't really matter to us what way we go. Probably very few people hiking that section south right now. We might really think about that. Any reason other than parking to choose one way over the other? Thanks again. Sanderhike

Dances with Mice
03-23-2006, 15:07
As far as parking at Amicalola, does anyone have any feelings on a preferred direction (from Springer to DCG or vice versa)? It doesn't really matter to us what way we go. Probably very few people hiking that section south right now. We might really think about that. Any reason other than parking to choose one way over the other? I've done the GA section both ways in the Spring. Going northbound you're with the flow of traffic and you'll be seeing many of the same faces all during your hike. Going southbound you'll meet a different group of people each night, assuming you stop near shelters, and you can trade information with them about the Trail ahead. It really doesn't matter. The terrain seemed to get easier north to south, that may have been because I was more familiar with the sections south of the RB Russell Pkwy than north of there, it probably isn't that much different.

I liked ending at Amicalola because we arrived at the Lodge just in time for their buffet supper. Dropped our backpacks at the front door, washed up a bit, then sat down at a table with a view of the mountains. That was a very nice way to end the hike.

galaleemc
03-23-2006, 20:23
Sanderhike

This area is very safe....the only crime I have heard of is street signs being stolen in the last 14 months.

In case the area gets full - there is also a grassy area that folks use for overflow parking.

If you stay with us - you are welcome to park with one night stay $20 each night. We are 1.5 miles west of the trail towards Hiawassee...the Trout Farm and Cloud9 Hiker Hostel.

Laura
Cloud9

Skidsteer
03-23-2006, 21:56
Sanderhike

This area is very safe....the only crime I have heard of is street signs being stolen in the last 14 months.

In case the area gets full - there is also a grassy area that folks use for overflow parking.

If you stay with us - you are welcome to park with one night stay $20 each night. We are 1.5 miles west of the trail towards Hiawassee...the Trout Farm and Cloud9 Hiker Hostel.

Laura
Cloud9

Seems very reasonable. To clarify: How many nights of parking are acceptable without overstepping your hospitality? Thanks in advance.:)

tiamalle
03-23-2006, 23:38
The Blueberry patch is 3.5 West of DCG (on the left) I'd park there. Blueberry patch 706-896-4893 5038 Hwy 76 E [Or: Upper Hightower trout farm, 7150 Canaan Dr (1.5 W) 706-896-8959] Hiawassee Ga 30546

Maybe not exacty what you are planning (hike straight to car?). Probably a bit safer than in a public parking lot. I always imagine walking to a trailhead, & finding an empty parking space where my car had been.
Even if they don't ask, leave a donation please.

Doctari.http://http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m252-1-1-1-s&reset=1 click on this and here are some hostels near the trail.High Tower is closest and they are nice folks.They also told me they would help with parking with short term hikes.

tiamalle
03-23-2006, 23:40
http://http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m252-1-1-1-s&reset=1 click on this and here are some hostels near the trail.High Tower is closest and they are nice folks.They also told me they would help with parking with short term hikes.http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m252-1-1-1-s&reset=1

galaleemc
03-27-2006, 18:38
Skidsteer

I would say 5-7 days with one nights stay.

Laura