PDA

View Full Version : First time alcohol stove

asphalt commando
03-23-2006, 13:08
Never started thread before, so hope this is in the correct spot!! Just back from a very cold 4 days hiking north Shenandoah, snowed last day. First day with a wind chill factor of -9 degrees, temp was 14 degrees. Made and used for the first time a "penny stove" for the trip. Performed like a champ!!! Not affected by wind, or cold. Boiled water in minutes, simmers forever. Never have used alcohol stove before.....I would recommend this stove to anyone, anywhere.

wilderness bob
03-23-2006, 13:38
Penny stove? Interesting, please give the details. I use an Etewa alcohol stove. It uses too much fuel compared to others, so I am looking for a change. Thanks, WB

Doctari
03-23-2006, 13:41
Welcome to the world of the alcohol stove maker/user.

You did read the disclamer before making your first stove didn't you?

Youknowtheone:

Caution, making &/or using a alcohol stove may lead to: obsessive colecting of tools, used aluminum cans & glue/fasteners. Excessive tinkering with above items and testing new designs. AND; preaching the "gospel" of the alcohol stove.

You didn't?

OOPS!

Oh well, we didn't read it either. Welcome to the club.

Just in case you ask, No, there is no cure.

Doctari.

asphalt commando
03-23-2006, 13:49
Bob, this should get you to the plans, I actually found the site thru links and so-forth on Whiteblaze. Let me know if you get to the correct site, if not, I will email direct. After you make the first one, you can make another in about 4 minutes. I tried some variations, the directions on this link is the best....I could not improve on it!!!

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stove.html

Doctari....how did you know that after my first stove, I am still trying to find the top of my workbench, littered with aluminum cans of all types, tin snips, wire and what-not.!!

DawnTreader
03-23-2006, 15:00
Hello, my name is Nathan and I'm a stoveaholic. I built my last stove yesterday. .....can't stop thinking about stoves....can't drink a dr. pepper without visualizing jet holes and razor blades. Best can setup so far....guiness 14 oz. and a soda can.. fits like a glove.. couldn't believe how cheap and durable these stoves can be... not sure if I will use it on the trail or not, but its been fun tinkering...

TN_Hiker
03-23-2006, 17:15
Penny stove looks like one to try. I've tried the pepsi stoves and it is okay, but it sure is a b**** getting the top to fit into the bottom. At first glance it appears the penny stove avoids that hassle.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 18:37
Penny stove looks like one to try. I've tried the pepsi stoves and it is okay, but it sure is a b**** getting the top to fit into the bottom. At first glance it appears the penny stove avoids that hassle.

if you're using a regular soda can (and not one of those mini ones from a V8 or energy drink can), try 'stretching' it over the bottom of a small can of soup first... fits just right, and makes it just wide enough to get the thing started... way easier than cutting slits.

Deerleg
03-23-2006, 19:26
... this should get you to the plans, I actually found the site thru links and so-forth on Whiteblaze. ...the directions on this link is the best....I could not improve on it!!!

Wow this looks very cool! Guess I'll have to buy the premium beer this weekend. :cool: Thanks for the info.

Klezmorim
03-26-2006, 17:12
Bob, this should get you to the plans, I actually found the site thru links and so-forth on Whiteblaze. Let me know if you get to the correct site, if not, I will email direct. After you make the first one, you can make another in about 4 minutes. I tried some variations, the directions on this link is the best....I could not improve on it!!!

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stove.html (http://www.csun.edu/%7Emjurey/stove.html)

I found a way to "improve on it": Use the 24oz. Heinie cans and increase the number of holes by 50%. Three ounces of denat. EtOH burned for 45 minutes!

Doctari....how did you know that after my first stove, I am still trying to find the top of my workbench, littered with aluminum cans of all types, tin snips, wire and what-not.!!
Son, many of us are recovering stovies. We've been down that slippery slope. I remember cringing at the thought of having to drink beer from an aluminum can just so I could get my "raw material" for a stove!

white rabbit
03-26-2006, 20:34
Looks like a great stove. Pepsi can works good but this looks even better. Thanks for the link Asphalt Commando.

Doctari
03-26-2006, 23:47

Because I am Old & Wise. :rolleyes:

Now leave me alone, I'm making another stove. :D Well, just as soon as I find my workbench :datz

;)

Doctari.

jlb2012
03-27-2006, 08:53
Son, many of us are recovering stovies. We've been down that slippery slope. I remember cringing at the thought of having to drink beer from an aluminum can just so I could get my "raw material" for a stove!

yeah - it really hurt pouring that 24 ounces of beer down the sink just to use the can

skylark
03-27-2006, 22:54
I am wondering why there are so many complicated pepsi can stove websites. JB weld, complicated patterns, etc. The pepsi can stoves that I used to see were pretty simple.

Here's one you can make with a swiss army knife:
http://www.cruisenews.net/backpacking/BeerCanStove.html

I have made many of these and they burn well, good and hot, and by adjusting the height, you can get exactly the right burn time that you want.

skylark
03-27-2006, 23:09
I am wondering why there are so many complicated pepsi can stove websites. JB weld, complicated patterns, etc. The pepsi can stoves that I used to see were pretty simple.

Here's one you can make with a swiss army knife:
http://www.cruisenews.net/backpacking/BeerCanStove.html

I have made many of these and they burn well, good and hot, and by adjusting the height, you can get exactly the right burn time that you want.

Daniel
03-29-2006, 18:25
I made my first two alcohol stoves today- low pressure side burners with different hole configurations using 3oz hormel cans. They heated well, but burned through the alcohol before truly boiling my two cups of water (8 minute burn time). Either I mismeasured and my resevoir was smaller than it should have been, or my hole configuration was too inefficient.

So I decided I would try the penny-stove idea for higher efficiency next. I had just bought a six pack of heineken and I was going to start drinking on my own and get right into the manufacturing of the stove when my wife told me she'd buy some bratwurst and sauerkraut and to wait off until she gets home.

*waits with heineken*

I don't know which is worse. Waiting with beer beckoning me from the refrigerator, or waiting with my metal sheers beckoning me from the garage.

*twitch*

Skidsteer
03-29-2006, 18:55
I made my first two alcohol stoves today- low pressure side burners with different hole configurations using 3oz hormel cans. They heated well, but burned through the alcohol before truly boiling my two cups of water (8 minute burn time). Either I mismeasured and my resevoir was smaller than it should have been, or my hole configuration was too inefficient.

So I decided I would try the penny-stove idea for higher efficiency next. I had just bought a six pack of heineken and I was going to start drinking on my own and get right into the manufacturing of the stove when my wife told me she'd buy some bratwurst and sauerkraut and to wait off until she gets home.

*waits with heineken*

I don't know which is worse. Waiting with beer beckoning me from the refrigerator, or waiting with my metal sheers beckoning me from the garage.

*twitch*

Ah yes. Making stoves with a buzz on. It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out. :D

Daniel
03-29-2006, 19:00
Some would still call it fun, but with entertainment!

Klezmorim
03-29-2006, 19:26

*waits with heineken*

*twitch*
Any man who's married to a woman who, upon learning of her husband's imminent plans to consume Heineken, offers to bring home brats and kraut has truly married an angel sent from above!

If my beloved departs and you meet an - ahem - untimely end, it would be my honor to help your sainted widow "move on" with her life.

Seeker
03-29-2006, 23:10

*waits with heineken*

*twitch*

and another stove addict is born...

congratulations... keep posting your results, both successes and failures (the failures are especially funny to hear, we all have them, and you get bonus points for lost eyebrows... :D ) we addicts will be glad to help you. and a woman who understands your addiction is indeed an angel... ok. maybe 'understands' is too strong a word... how about 'tolerates'? still, a good thing...

again, welcome to stovaholics anonymous... my name is seeker, and i don't think i have a stove problem... i can quite making them anytime i want to...

sierraDoug
03-30-2006, 01:34
Never started thread before, so hope this is in the correct spot!! Just back from a very cold 4 days hiking north Shenandoah, snowed last day. First day with a wind chill factor of -9 degrees, temp was 14 degrees. Made and used for the first time a "penny stove" for the trip. Performed like a champ!!! Not affected by wind, or cold. Boiled water in minutes, simmers forever. Never have used alcohol stove before.....I would recommend this stove to anyone, anywhere.
I made one of these and had some trouble getting it to work. It went out shortly after lighting. How did you prime it and get it started? Did you put the penny on, then pour the fuel on top like the designer says, or fill it and then put the penny on and add more to light for priming?

Thanks for any tips.

Klezmorim
03-30-2006, 14:03
I made one of these and had some trouble getting it to work. It went out shortly after lighting. How did you prime it and get it started? Did you put the penny on, then pour the fuel on top like the designer says, or fill it and then put the penny on and add more to light for priming?

Thanks for any tips.
What works for me is to pour an ounce or two of alcohol (depending on how much water I'm heating) into the filling hole, cover the hole with a penny and pour a half ounce of alcohol on top of the penny. Light the fuel and put the pot on top ASAP.

TIP #1: Use a 35mm film canister to measure your fuel. They hold exactly one ounce. The white ones from Fuji Film are easier to read when you're try to measure fractions of an ounce.

TIP #2: Experiement with different hights to find the optimal distance from the top of the stove to the bottom of the pan. It has a tremendous effect on flame stability and burn time.

sierraDoug
03-30-2006, 16:51
Thanks for the quick tips, Klezmorim.

I'll also have to try a lower lip height of the base half above the top half, since mine turned out so high. I think that affects the rate of burn and flame height.

Happy stove building, everyone.

erichlf
03-30-2006, 17:25
man I make alc stove and just test them out in my kitchen. I think I have made 20 and only actually used 3.

Daniel
03-30-2006, 18:49
I made one penny stove last night... but my burn time was even shorter than my super cats. The instructions aren't exactly clear (understatement), so I think I was confused about how much alcohol to put in it. It leaked a bit between the burner and the fuel cup also.

In order to make a better quality stove, I froze my remaining heineken cans overnight (water, btw, not beer ;-) ) so that I could carve them up in the morning with a hard surface to press against. A few of them burst in the freezing process, but I was able to cobble together another penny stove that worked very good. Excellent...

The only problem is that with the simmer ring on, I don't get enough heat output to keep my water simmering. The simmer ring is pretty close to the bottom of my pot (less than an inch) so perhaps that is the problem. Am I supposed to raise my pot the a corresponding amount when I add the simmer ring to my stove? Or is it likely my stove still isn't quite up to par?

Skidsteer
03-30-2006, 19:24
I made one penny stove last night... but my burn time was even shorter than my super cats. The instructions aren't exactly clear (understatement), so I think I was confused about how much alcohol to put in it. It leaked a bit between the burner and the fuel cup also.

In order to make a better quality stove, I froze my remaining heineken cans overnight (water, btw, not beer ;-) ) so that I could carve them up in the morning with a hard surface to press against. A few of them burst in the freezing process, but I was able to cobble together another penny stove that worked very good. Excellent...

The only problem is that with the simmer ring on, I don't get enough heat output to keep my water simmering. The simmer ring is pretty close to the bottom of my pot (less than an inch) so perhaps that is the problem. Am I supposed to raise my pot the a corresponding amount when I add the simmer ring to my stove? Or is it likely my stove still isn't quite up to par?

Unless I'm using a Trangia( which has a well-functioning simmer ring ), I usually don't try to control the flame of the stove. Rather, I would remove the lid and stir enough to slow the boil.

Not to throw fuel on the fire, so to speak, but have you tried making one of these?
http://www.ionstove.com/build.htm#Juice
or:
http://www.ionstove.com/build.htm#Production

Klezmorim
03-30-2006, 20:00

Daniel, you shouldn't need to freeze your heinie to get a good fit. ;) The trick is to make uniformly spaced holes and even crimps on the burner head. Be careful not to crimp too hard as this can create puckers that will prevent a good seal. I find that the recommended method of crimping with needle-nosed pliers is too likely to pucker the crimps. I just use my fingers.

As you assemble your stove make sure the base is resting flat on a firm surface like a kitchen counter. Press the burner head evenly and firmly (but not too firmly!) downward. I usually hear a "snap" when the pieces go together just so. Do a test-fire of the stove. If you see flames coming from between the pieces of metal instead off or in addition to the jets, you don't have a good seal. Note where the the leak is and when the stove cools, press on the burner head in this area. If it "snaps" together, your next burn will likely be perfect.

Also, try a inch space between the top of the stove and the pan, then try 1.25 inches and 1.5 inches. Somewhere in there you'll get a good burn time.

I've found that the simmer ring is essential. If I don't use it the stove flames out way too fast. Start the stove with it on and leave it on.

Hope this helps!

Fiddler
03-30-2006, 22:45
The only problem is that with the simmer ring on, I don't get enough heat output to keep my water simmering. The simmer ring is pretty close to the bottom of my pot (less than an inch) so perhaps that is the problem. Am I supposed to raise my pot the a corresponding amount when I add the simmer ring to my stove? Or is it likely my stove still isn't quite up to par?Trim a little, not over 1/8" at a time, from the ring to make it shorter. The shorter it is the hotter the stove will burn. You might have to trim it 2 or 3 times to get it right. If you have a good height for the pot for normal cooking you shouldn't have to change that, just find the right height for the simmer ring.

cutman11
03-31-2006, 00:51
I made one of the "penny" stoves, and It worked like a charm. It is actually very simple to get right if one follows the directions from the website linked earlier in this thread. I emailed the inventor and the trick to lighting is to get some of the fuel around the outside of the ring of the burner so the side walls get warm enough to boil the alcohol in the fuel cup. I added some JB weld to seal the burner/fuel cup interface, but that probably isnt absolutely needed, I just like the pressurized idea without the risk of exploding the stove. With the lights out in my kitchen, the "jets" look like a gas cooktop!!!. Field testing in about 55 degree minimal wind conditions boiled 2 cups of water in 3.5 minutes. VERY COOL STOVE, and besides, ya get to drink the Heinees while preparing to make it. Makes ya wanna mess up the first couple tries at making it.:-?

Forestescapes
03-31-2006, 07:37
Yes, Welcome to stovers Ononimous!
Of course homemade can stoves are better than bought ones!
But I agree with skylark totally...why would you use glue to hold a bad design together, when with a little bit of extra effort (and brain exercise), you can get a leak free seal without any glues at all. The trick in part is cutting small slits down the side of the top section (being careful of there length and positioning)so as to allow the two sections to mould together like me and Katherine Zeta Jones. (sorry drifted off therefor a moment...)
There are so many good designs out there to try and so little time...
I am a tour guide here down under and regularly use a coke can stove to boil water for overseas wilderness guests with constant comments on how impressed they are with its efficiency!
Don't believe the MSR junkies!
dc

lug nut
04-14-2006, 16:35
for a ready supply of denatured alcohol go to your local Napa or Coop and purchase tractor/trailer air line antifreeze. You can buy it in a 1/2 gal. or gallon container. A lot cheaper than buying Heet.

fireboy
04-14-2006, 18:15
EXCELLENT TIP

Thank You Very Much!!!!!!!!!

Will go out tomorrow and get me a gallon.

I don't care what they say about you, you're alright:sun

longben
05-04-2006, 22:43
Hey all,

I built my first penny stove the other day, and I am having a problem. 1. I fill the burner cup above the penny with fuel, 2. I light the fuel, 3. within a few seconds the penny blows off, and flaming alcohol goes all over. I guess to much pressure is building in the stove for the penny to handle. I tried drilling more burner holes to let off pressure faster, and it didn't work. I tried using a nickel instead for the extra weight, didn't work. Any solutions???? I can't figure out how it blows so fast considering I don't even start with fuel in the fuel cup.

-LongBen-

Fiddler
05-05-2006, 08:13
Hey all,

I built my first penny stove the other day, and I am having a problem. 1. I fill the burner cup above the penny with fuel, 2. I light the fuel, 3. within a few seconds the penny blows off, and flaming alcohol goes all over. I guess to much pressure is building in the stove for the penny to handle. I tried drilling more burner holes to let off pressure faster, and it didn't work. I tried using a nickel instead for the extra weight, didn't work. Any solutions???? I can't figure out how it blows so fast considering I don't even start with fuel in the fuel cup.

-LongBen-
Never heard of that problem before. I have made several different alcohol stoves the last few years but never tried the Penny. But I've never saw anyone else's Penny do that. I would suggest you scrap it and, if you want a Penny stove, try it again from the start. Have you made other alcohol stoves? Did they work? If you want something small, simple, and reliable try the Ion stove. Works like a charm. If you need some ideas try these links.

Alcohol Stove Links
http://zenstoves.net/
http://wings.interfree.it/index.html
http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove.html

Above all, don't give up.

Dances with Mice
05-05-2006, 08:44
Is the penny stove the classic pepsi-type stove with an inner ring between the stove's middle and the burner holes around the lip? If so then maybe there are no gaps in the ring for the vapors to escape to the outside of the can where the burner holes are located.

atraildreamer
05-07-2006, 02:15
I originally posted this on another forum. Ithought that it was time to start a Whiteblaze ASA chapter :welcome
--------------
ASA (Alcohol Stove Anonymous) Support Group:

These are the twelve steps to recovery for soda-can stove addicts:

1.We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-fueled soda-can stoves; that our lives had become unmanageable. :(

2.Came to believe that a soda-can stove design better than ours could restore us to sanity.

3.Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of lightweight backpackers, as we understood them.

4.Made a searching and fearless inventory of our excessive number of soda-can stove designs.

5.Admitted to the forum moderator, to ourselves, and to another human being , (our long-suffering spouses, etc.), the exact nature of our wrongs. (eg: our compulsive desire to collect, cut, drill, glue, tape and ignite, and possibly melt, beverage containers of all possible varieties.)

6.Were entirely ready to have the forum moderator remove all these defects of character. (See #5, above.)

7.Humbly asked the forum moderator to remove our shortcomings, our obsessiveness, along with mounds of scrap aluminum, empty alcohol containers, etc.

8.Made a list of all persons we had scared half-to-death, (eg: spouses, friends, the cat, etc.), when our stove experiments went awry (blew up) and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, after putting the fire(s) out.

10.Continued to take personal inventory (46 stoves…47…48…49…).

11.Sought through on-line forums and websites to improve our stove-building abilities, as we understand them, praying only for knowledge of the understanding so as to construct the “holy grail” of soda-can stoves—the completely controllable, slow-simmer, soda-can stove! :sun

12.Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other soda-can stove addicts, …WHO ARE WE KIDDING? We will still be making these stoves until they shovel the dirt over us! :banana

Roland
05-07-2006, 03:42
Hey all,

-LongBen-
Are you sure you're using alcohol? ;)

I think you're overfilling the stove. Try using no more than 1 oz. of denatured alcohol.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2006, 11:01
LMAO at ASA.

Do any ASA's in relapse have an extra penny stove they might be willing to sell? I'm already addicted to making tents, tarps and sleeping stuff - developing a stove addiction would force me to quit eating and sleeping to have time to feed the new addiction.

I'll be coming to trail days so we could meet there to exchange the stove and cash. Not sure what a fair price would be - any thoughts from the "pyrotechnically inclined" :D