PDA

View Full Version : hammock hanging fever

neo
03-23-2006, 16:09
:D its catching,its happening,we are growing,its exciting,hammock hangers unite:cool: neo

hawkeye
03-23-2006, 18:07
My Hennessy Explorer Deluxe should be here Friday. Is the Undercover they sell worth the price?

neo
03-23-2006, 18:53
My Hennessy Explorer Deluxe should be here Friday. Is the Undercover they sell worth the price?

con grats on your new hammock,i dont use their undercover:cool: neo

hawkeye
03-23-2006, 19:46
I plan on using my hammock in low 40's temps. What upgrades worked for you? Looking at the JRB weather shield(with my Army poncho liner) and a MacCat tarp but not sure what size yet.

neo
03-23-2006, 20:22
I plan on using my hammock in low 40's temps. What upgrades worked for you? Looking at the JRB weather shield(with my Army poncho liner) and a MacCat tarp but not sure what size yet.

the main things i use is a thermarest 35 and above
and a 4 inch wider pad i bought at walmart,for 35 to 18
my lowest yet a 30 degree quilt or bag and layered with a
50 degree summer bag,nothing fancy,nothing specialize:cool: neo

swede
03-23-2006, 22:10
:D Can't wait to set up my HH on my favorite sea island next weekend and listen to the redwings and grackels squabble. Might not even soak a hook!

neo
03-23-2006, 22:29
:D Can't wait to set up my HH on my favorite sea island next weekend and listen to the redwings and grackels squabble. Might not even soak a hook!

cool,make sure to take some pictures and post them,hope ya a great hammock hanging time:cool: neo

peter_pan
03-24-2006, 10:31

Seems a little cool for 40 IMHO....BTW, there are seven models and sizes of underquilts lighter than a 21.5 oz std Army poncho liner.

Pan

hawkeye
03-24-2006, 11:02
This is starting to add up!

neo
03-24-2006, 11:15

carry 30 degree bag and any comfotable pad:cool: neo

hammock engineer
03-24-2006, 11:49

Add up yes, but try to buy I nice tent for $100 or less price of a hammock. You will already have a sleeping bag and possibly a sleeping pad. I think the only added hammock costs come if you add an aftermarket tarp or underquilt.

That said, I added both and am very happy with them.

littlelaurel59
03-24-2006, 13:43

Byer Mosquito hammock- $20 on sale via internet site
8x10 nylon tarp- $30 on Ebay
CCF blue pad- $7 at Walmart

Total weight less than 3 pounds

My setup may not be "state of the art" by some standards, but I'm comfortable hanging. I was out in 30* temps last weekend.

Just Jeff
03-24-2006, 14:54
My setup may not be "state of the art" by some standards, but I'm comfortable hanging. I was out in 30* temps last weekend.

Occam's Razor - the simplest answer is usually the best. Doesn't matter how fancy it is, so long as it works!

neo
03-25-2006, 00:58
Byer Mosquito hammock- $20 on sale via internet site
8x10 nylon tarp- $30 on Ebay
CCF blue pad- $7 at Walmart

Total weight less than 3 pounds

:D i believe in cheap and simple:cool: neo

Ewker
04-13-2006, 11:56
just a simple question:confused: from a non hammock person. Which hammock is the best. Why do you like the one you have over the other brands.

TN_Hiker
04-13-2006, 12:12
My HH expedition asym arrived yesterday and slept in the backyard last night. It was my first night of "hanging".....all in all I was pleased. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once I figured how to lay to take advantage of the asym I slept great --- on my side even. Looking forward to many nights of comfortable sleeping in my newest "toy".
QUESTION: I thought the tree hugger straps were a little on the short side. Has anyone made their straps using webbing and a water knot?

TN_Hiker
04-13-2006, 12:14
OH...and BTW Ewker.....welcome to WhiteBlaze. from a fellow middle Tennessean. You will find that Neo is our resident hammock spokesperson and a lot of good info. on this site w/ a bunch of great follks.

neo
04-13-2006, 12:16
just a simple question:confused: from a non hammock person. Which hammock is the best. Why do you like the one you have over the other brands.

i prefer my hennessey hammock,but i just got two of these hammocks mosquitto expedition models:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

Just Jeff
04-13-2006, 13:05
Longer straps are basically a necessity out here on the west coast. A water knot will work, but it's very simple to sew it down just like the HH ones. If you don't have a machine, take it to an alterations place and they'll probably do it for a few bucks. IMO, it's worth the saved materials and bulk in the pack...YMMV.

Regarding the "best" hammock, that's a loaded question! Best for what? The "best" all-in-one lightest weight hammock system is probably one of the HH racer models. But that comes with sacrifices, like tarp size, non-removable bugnet, etc.

The Clark has many happy followers, and good features like pockets under the hammock for gear, zippered bugnet and weather shield, etc. But then you add weight for those features.

The Speer-type is more comfortable than the HH, IMO, and the bugnet is removable for winter time. But using the bugnet's velcro isn't as quick and easy as the HH system where you just get in and sit down. Not a big deal, though, and the weights are simiilar to the HH ultralight models (not the racer models) if you account for tarp size...the Speer comes with a living room sized 8x10 and the HH's tarp is adequate but tiny.

Then, you have to factor in cost. Are the advantages of the HH worth the $$$ over the value-based hammocks, like the mosquito and byer? To some, yes - to others, the value of these hammocks overcomes the minor advantages of the "Big Three".

So it's kind of like asking what the "best car"...lots of different opinions, and they're all right since they're based on different criteria.

Dr. Love
04-13-2006, 13:19
i prefer my hennessey hammock,but i just got two of these hammocks mosquitto expedition models:cool: neo

Neo, I see from their website that these hammocks have double bottoms, so that a pad may be inserted between the layers. How does this affect the tendency of a full-length CCF pad to buckle when you lie down on it?

Many thanks

neo
04-13-2006, 13:23

Neo, I see from their website that these hammocks have double bottoms, so that a pad may be inserted between the layers. How does this affect the tendency of a full-length CCF pad to buckle when you lie down on it?

Many thanks

:sun i just got them yesterday,i have not done anything but hang mine in the back yard,but i will be experimenting with different things,and posting my progress:cool: neo

neo
04-13-2006, 13:24
:D its catching,its happening,we are growing,its exciting,hammock hangers unite:cool: neo

:D like it or not hammocks are here to stay:cool: neo

Ewker
04-13-2006, 13:36
OH...and BTW Ewker.....welcome to WhiteBlaze. from a fellow middle Tennessean. You will find that Neo is our resident hammock spokesperson and a lot of good info. on this site w/ a bunch of great follks.

TN Hiker, Thanks for the welcome. I normally lurk, read and post occasionally. So much info on this site to read and learn from.

joec
04-13-2006, 13:43
I just got my Hennessy Delux and first thing sent the tree spraps back. They show on the installation video that you wrap it twice. I would not get it around a small tree in my back yard. Hennessy said you do not have to double wrap the tree. Maybe not, but I exchanged the short one for the next size up. Still waiting to sleep my first nite in my new hammock.

TN_Hiker
04-13-2006, 14:01
I just got my Hennessy Delux and first thing sent the tree spraps back. They show on the installation video that you wrap it twice. I would not get it around a small tree in my back yard. Hennessy said you do not have to double wrap the tree. Maybe not, but I exchanged the short one for the next size up. Still waiting to sleep my first nite in my new hammock.

I had the same problem, I didn't want to wait so I made do w/ those short little straps. The straps barely fit the tree in a "U", so I could forget about wrapping--didn't encounter any problems. I just got back from REI where I purchased 2 - 60" pieces of webbing (3/4" wide) for $2.50. I found the wide straps where difficult to run the support rope thru so I went with a narrower strap. Even with the narrower strap I think multiple wraps will not damage a tree.

Hana_Hanger
04-13-2006, 14:42
Confused about the tree straps from the comments I just read....most of the trees I wrap my straps around are rather large trees also.
It holds up with no problem...I have never fallen or had the straps slip down on me.
I have never wrapped them completely around or even double.
I did buy the brand name The Tree Huggers they run from $17 to $25 and what a waste they are great but heavy and it did not make any difference in hanging.
As long as most of the webbing in against the back bark of the tree I do not think you will do any damage to the trees.

I also noticed even smaller flat webbing support ropes ( 3/4 to 1" )do not seem to do any damage either...like the ones that come with the Siam Hammock and the Mosquito Hammocks....but since I am use to using the straps I just take them with me from my HH and use them with any hammock and rope.

Hana_Hanger
04-13-2006, 14:51
I had the same problem, I didn't want to wait so I made do w/ those short little straps. The straps barely fit the tree in a "U", so I could forget about wrapping--didn't encounter any problems. I just got back from REI where I purchased 2 - 60" pieces of webbing (3/4" wide) for $2.50. I found the wide straps where difficult to run the support rope thru so I went with a narrower strap. Even with the narrower strap I think multiple wraps will not damage a tree.

Wow I wish I had any store that carried gear here besides just Wal-Mart if you can consider that carrying any gear really.

I would differently be guilty of becoming a full fledge gear head :eek: