PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs-Nice Price + Company news

Alligator
03-23-2006, 16:18
Okay first off, Frogg Toggs acquired both driduds and driducks. So, I found a good deal on Frogg Toggs/Driduds that I thought might be of interest. $29.99 + $7-8 shipping.
http://allwatersfishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=11651
The inventory may be limited. I ordered a set for my wife today, so I can't say anything about the selling company.

Another interesting bit is upon reading company news at the Frogg Toggs site, a reference was made that Frogg Toggs had acquired DriDucks.
http://www.driduds.com/news.asp [Second news blurb 6th paragraph]

As to the DriDuds part, both Driduds and Frogg Toggs are made from Dura/Vent a Kappler product. I believe that they are the same product. Frogg Toggs has also acquired the retailer part of Kappler.
http://wearablesbusiness.com/mag/apparel_frogg_toggs_announces/

I wrote all this because I was concerned I might be buying a DriDucks suit not a Frogg Toggs one. But, given the picture on the selling site, I'm comfortable it's a Toggs suit.*****See below, there are discrepancies.*****

TN_Hiker
03-23-2006, 16:44
Wow.....thanks for sharing Alligator....I just placed my order

Sly
03-23-2006, 17:34
It looks like DriDuds, which look very close to Frogg Toggs (and DriDucks) are two layer, whereas Frogg Toggs are three layer and somewhat more durable than their less expensive counterpart.

Sly
03-23-2006, 17:39
Oh BTW, you can get DriDucks from Gossamer Gear for only $24.95 plus $4.05 Priority Mail shipping to zone 8

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/driducks_rainsuit.html?id=rxyUyXsT:172.167.63.55

Alligator
03-23-2006, 18:26
Ok, now I'm uncomfortable they are the same as Frogg Toggs. I still don't think they are constructed the same as Driducks in cut. They appear to be cut the same as the toggs. The Driducks do not appear to have the same snaps on the jacket, nor do they appear to have the leg zippers.

This review says that the Toggs are labeled as Duravent.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%20Pants/Frogg%20Toggs%20Pro%20Sport%20Suit/Roger%20Caffin/Initial%20Report/

But The frogg toggs site does say three layers, and the driduds are two layers. I guess the question is are the Driduds more durable than the driducks? Are the driducks made of Duravent?

My apologies for getting this incorrect. I couldn't find any driduds reviews. I'll keep looking.

Alligator
03-23-2006, 18:44
I called the company. The service rep said the Driduds are made with the same three layer material as the Toggs, but that the Driducks are made with two layers. She also said that the Ducks are cut different, such as not having a leg zipper. I will keep my order and update this thread when they arrive. Feel free to call customer service to double check this information.

Sly
03-23-2006, 18:55
Yes, let us know if the DriDuds are the same material and cut as Frogg Toggs

I've used Frogg Toggs and now have a set of DriDucks. Yes, they are of a different cut. No hood storage, zipper on the pants and apparently less durable, but notably lighter.

RadioFreq
03-23-2006, 19:06
Ah, the wonder of disposable cash. I just ordered the one from Gossamer Gear. I am beginning my own gear testing with an eye towards the AT in

Cuffs
03-23-2006, 19:22
I had a problem w/ my Frogg's... was wondering if anyone was having the same issue...

In the areas that are under constant friction (hip where pack belt rests, inner leg/thigh, armpit) the fabric tends to "pill" like a knit sweater, and get all messed up... Am I the only one experiencing this phenomenon?

River Runner
03-27-2006, 02:01
Mine's pilled some, but it doesn't seem to affect performance.

neo
03-27-2006, 02:41
dont like them,to bulky:cool: neo

Alligator
03-28-2006, 23:09
The Driduds came in the mail. Someone hasn't returned my camera yet and is sleeping so no photos. The fabric label says Driduds by Kappler, another tag says Duravent and shows a three layer fabric graphic. In my Toggs the label says Duravent fabric by Kappler. The Duds have the same configuration as Toggs, same hood, storm flap, and pass through pockets on the pants. There is some slightly different stitching, but my Toggs are several years old now. Different snaps, but in the same places. My Toggs have a different front zipper, having larger teeth, but the Toggs have a smaller toothed zipper on the hood enclosure. The total weight for the size small was 16.1 oz, broken down as 9.5 oz for the top, 6.6 for the pants. MSRP was $45.00, I received them as above for $29.99 plus shipping. Anyway, the DriDuds are not similar to Driducks.

If I had to replace my own, I would buy a new set of Duds. But, I have not had any tears in mine, just minor pilling, with no change in performance. Hope this helps.

When I was researching this, I read that Kappler decided to branch out and make their "own" line and called them Driduds. I cannot find this article now though. Then, I found out that Frogg Toggs bought the retailer division of Kappler, see above. I'm thinking that neither company really wanted to compete. That, and at least one of the high up execs moved over to Frogg Toggs:-? .

Sly
03-29-2006, 07:14
I wonder why the website would says 2 layer. By weight alone the DriDuds were appear to be the same as Frogg Toggs or 3 layer. Are they soft like Toggs when new?

Great find at that price.

Alligator
03-29-2006, 08:35
I wonder why the website would says 2 layer. By weight alone the DriDuds were appear to be the same as Frogg Toggs or 3 layer. Are they soft like Toggs when new?

Great find at that price.
I'm not sure about the three layer part. The weight seems about the same, although I thought a small would weigh an ounce or so less. What I noticed on the Small Duds vs. my Med. Toggs is that there was about an inch of extra fabric behind the zipper on the small Duds. My thought on that was that perhaps they used a similar pattern for S,M and then just hemmed the jacket behind the zipper, taking in about an inch. But I don't sew so it may be for some other reason. The Duds feel the same as I remember my Toggs when new, a little stiff. Not going to wash the Duds until they get dirty, so we'll have to wait to see how they soften up.

TN_Hiker
03-29-2006, 09:26
I got mine yesterday as well and for all purposes seems to be Toggs. One side of the packaging stated Driduds and the other side stated frogg toggs. I'm pleased with my purchase, but haven't field tested it yet.

mrmike48/4000
03-29-2006, 09:45
you will know in a year of use how they compare with the toggs.. i have the toggs but not much hiking use with them, so no input from me on the trail performance.. regular wet weather use they are great..

FishBone
03-29-2006, 10:20
FYI: Frogg Toggs may still have some close-outs of the original pullover style tops, w/a pocket on the front. I picked up a top a couple of weeks ago for $15 plus shipping. Stay Dry!! :clap