PDA

View Full Version : Water pumps at shelters

billreillyjr
02-21-2021, 17:46
With the closure of shelters and privies are the water pumps at those shelters that have them still open or did they remove the handle?

justhike
02-21-2021, 22:19
hand pumps still operational in my area (western NY - CT).
I can't imagine a club taking apart pumps to keep hikers from using an available water supply unless there's some seasonal concern about breakage or ice flow due to low temperatures. Shelter and privies technically closed since last spring, and the water pumps in this area were never disabled (nor were the shelters or privies for that matter....just a sign)

Grampie
02-22-2021, 22:19
Most AT shelters do not have water pumps. I can only remember 6-7 shelters with a pump. Mostly in PA, CT, MA.

hobbs
02-22-2021, 22:34
Virginia we collect the rain water off the roof of a shelter...Shelters With that are ok

rhjanes
02-23-2021, 00:46
Or, lock them. I was doing a canoe trip on the Buffalo National River during a government shutdown. Every other 'official' camp area, was closed. They chained the gates shut, chained the bathrooms shut (after shutting off the water). They also had pad locks on the RV type pressurized water faucets. My buddy and I discussed how much time it took to shut all that down and then open it back up. And, that was only every other area. The others were up and operating all along the river.