PDA

View Full Version : Couples' sleeping systems?

themooseisloose
03-24-2006, 11:12
My partner and I are looking to upgrade our sleeping gear. I read the great article about lightweight backpacking for couples and I'm wondering what type of setup other couples use.

Do you use two mummies (zipped together? apart?)? Nunatak's back country blanket? One rectangular (or semi-rectangular) bag opened and used as a blanket? If so, I would imagine that the temp rating wouldn't appy so much?

I'm considering Marmot's semi-rec 25* bag but I'm not sure what the temp rating might be given that it would be used as a blanket. It would be used with two thermarests (attached by the coupler).

Thanks for your input.

LuTotten
03-24-2006, 11:29
Right now my fiancee and I just use 2 mummy bags (apart), after a day or so of hiking your not going to feel much like being that close anyway.

Spirit Walker
03-24-2006, 12:24
My husband and I use two mummies zipped together. It gives you more shoulder room than a mummy alone - and we are both quiet sleepers who like to cuddle. If you move a lot, sleeping together doesn't work well. His warmth helps warm me up quickly, but you also lose a little heat around the head if it's really cold because it is harder to snug the hood as tight.

The Solemates
03-24-2006, 16:33
If its gonna be warm (> 45 degrees) we just take one sleeping bag and drape it over us as a quilt. we also take a cotton sheet to put down underneath us, but this is only because my wife doesnt like sleeping directly on the Zrest. I could care less.

If its gonna be cool (< 45, but >20) we take two sleeping bags and zip them together.

If its gonna be cold (<20) we dont attempt to snuggle. Two separate sleeping bags is warmer.

LIhikers
03-25-2006, 16:20
While hiking my wife and I sleep seperately. For warm weather we each have a fleece blanket and for colder weather we each have down sleeping bags. The bags are different and not compatable for zipping together.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-27-2006, 19:11
I made our sleep system using the idea behind Big Agnes' sleep systems (using insulated pads in a sleeve for underneath) and using a layering system on top to make the system good for warm, mildly cold or seriously cold conditions. The top and bottom zip together and a quilt can be attached to the lightweight zip-on top (made of fleece) My side of the fleece has an extra layer of Thinsalite insulation because I sleep colder than the male dino. We also have an extra flap that blocks the draft between our shoulders (an idea from Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking ). My side uses a Big Agnes rectangular insulated air core mattress - the male dino uses a Thermarest Pro4. I allowed space between the pads (8") and insulated the space so I can move a cranky leg / hip around a bit for comfort. I sewed pillow pockets on to the bottom of the hood - just stuff with soft stuff and no more chasing a wandering pillow all night when hood isn't needed. While this system isn't the lightest thing out there, it keeps two creeky dinos happy.

gravityman
03-27-2006, 19:54
I agree with The Solemates. We have two WM super-versalite for temps between 10 to 45. If it's warm enough, the bags couple, but if it is in the low range we sleep seperate. Or if I'm getting smelly... (her requirement :)

For summer, we have a WM mitylite that we share (1 lb 10 oz) for which we made a coupler out of .8 oz ripstop that holds our ultralight thermarests together and the bag can zip to.

This worked great on our thruhike, and we used the mitylite system from Pearisburg to Maine (we started march 1 and it was cold all the way to pearisburg. In fact, we switched probably 2 days too early)

On beautiful thing to get is the thermarest coupler kit if you have thermarests. It's definitely worth it, even if you don't mate the bags.

If you are interested my wife might be talked in to giving you a quote on making you the coupler for 2 of the newer ultralight thermarests. You would have to supply the zippers and make sure they mate to your WM bag. If you are interested, PM me, and I'll give you more details...

sirbingo
09-20-2006, 13:54
Right now my fiancee and I just use 2 mummy bags (apart), after a day or so of hiking your not going to feel much like being that close anyway.

That's nothing...just wait untill your married! :confused:

:p

white rabbit
09-20-2006, 17:14
Two bags apart when backpacking. For campground situations we lay on our bags and use a blanket together.

latte
09-20-2006, 21:22
We use 2 mummys zipped together in our tent in cold weather. Our bags have a velcro fastener at the collar that works great when 2 are together. In warm weather, we hammock, so it doesn't matter.

MAD777
09-21-2006, 12:35
For warm to mild weather, my wife and I share a homemade synthetic quilt that I made large enough for the both of us. When the temps. plummet, we go to separate down mummy bags.

bogey
09-22-2006, 00:34
If its gonna be warm (> 45 degrees) we just take one sleeping bag and drape it over us as a quilt. we also take a cotton sheet to put down underneath us, but this is only because my wife doesnt like sleeping directly on the Zrest. I could care less.

If its gonna be cool (< 45, but >20) we take two sleeping bags and zip them together.

If its gonna be cold (<20) we dont attempt to snuggle. Two separate sleeping bags is warmer.

my wife and I were camping in the pre-Spring. we expected cool, and I just barely talked her into zipping the two mummy bags together. Well, cool arrived as COLD and she just lay there miserable and cold, and yelled at me to stop breathing, because I was sucking in the cold air. Ya know, I don't know if she meant it THAT WAY or not.:confused: