PDA

View Full Version : What fuels will be easily available on the Mid State Trail?

Hitchin' Post
03-01-2021, 18:56
I'm buying a new stove for my MST hike, but I'm concerned that I'll get out there and not be able to find fuel. What would be my best bet?

nsherry61
03-01-2021, 19:11
I assume you are referring to the Mid State Trail of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or somewhere else?

I'd recommend you figure out where you'll be most likely to resupply and make a few phone calls.

Starchild
03-02-2021, 08:41
Wood with an accelerant (which could vary) would be available. A light weight 4 panel SS or Ti wood stove setup works very well, super light, fast and hot, but also takes skill to master and you might be left in the cold without such skills and experience.

Jetboil with a medium sized canister could last over a month, so resupply may not be needed. It would be a dependable 22 liters of boiled water (actually more but a good guideline is grams of fuel/10=liters of water), you can calculate how far that will take you.

Nanatuk
03-02-2021, 09:22
If your talking about PA's Mid State Trail, It looks to me like there are plenty of towns near the trail with hardware stores, auto parts stores or grocery stores. You might need to call around and see what is available.
or
you can send yourself a fuel canister and other supplies via general delivery mail and pick up your packages at the local Post Office.
or
you can cache supplies including fuel. Leave a sealed 5 gal bucket hidden near a trail head. Just remember to go back and pick up your empty caches when you complete your hike.

Hitchin' Post
03-02-2021, 10:56
Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I'm talking about Pennyslvania's trail.

Can I send a fuel canister in a mail drop? I've never tried that--just assumed it wasn't allowed.

Nanatuk
03-02-2021, 11:37
You can send a fuel canister via USPS. Just need to let them know its in the package.

Nanatuk
03-02-2021, 11:40
By the By... Mid State Trail looks like a wonderful hike. I'm going to have to put it on my todo list.

AsoloBootsSuk
03-02-2021, 11:45
By the By... Mid State Trail looks like a wonderful hike. I'm going to have to put it on my todo list.

The stretch through Rothrock SF is spectacular with vistas. Planning for water is more important than planning for fuel on this trail, IMO

QiWiz
03-04-2021, 20:55
MST (PA) is a great trail. Plenty of challenge and scenery reward. Ups and downs to remember. Would work with a woodburner as was pointed out. Can mail Esbit in resupplies if that's what you decide to do. Can purchase alcohol or yellow Heat at hardware stores. Canisters may be harder to find, but can probably work too.