PDA

View Full Version : Concerning those "Nordic poles"

lobster
03-24-2006, 12:25
Are there any other modifications of actual ski poles other than I assume that they are a little longer?

Peaks
03-24-2006, 18:51
It depends on the pole. I know that nordic skiers who cross train on roller skies use a different tip on their ski poles. The usual tip used in winter doesn't hold up well on pavement.

icemanat95
03-24-2006, 19:11
Nordic training poles have a rubber tip on them, usually a rockered "foot" I believe. May be just the ticket for a low impact hiking pole.

alanthealan
03-26-2006, 00:14
Nordic poles; alpine lenth for tele, armpit for classic, and chin for skating. There are Backcoutry poles with a full basket and a round tip like you see on alpine poles and there are poles for sking groomed track with half baskets and a tip that is sharp. More and more are adjustable for downhill/touring lenths.
But as for using sking poles for hiking poles which I assume you are doing alpine poles work well. You can find them cheap at pawn shops etc. For sizing I usally hold the pole and see if my fore arm is at a 90 degree angle.
No adjustments.

Tinker
03-26-2006, 00:22
No way that I could use under chin sizing for skating. I have a skate/classic setup. My poles come to the bridge of my nose.

BTW, Lobster, are you asking about true Nordic Poles or walking/trekking poles? I don't want to make any assumptions.

alanthealan
03-26-2006, 00:49
Yeah your right chin or higher, but I wonder if he cares about nordic poles vrs alpine. I think we must be ski geeks or something.

lobster
03-26-2006, 11:33
Tinker,

I was referring to the ones used hiking in dry land exercise. Supposedly they are becoming some sort of marketing craze. They were referred to in another thread.

neo
03-26-2006, 12:30
i am sticking with my leki's:cool: neo