PDA

View Full Version : Stove Fuel in Harrisburg PA

Stale Cracker
03-24-2006, 12:35
I am flying into Harrisburg easter weekend and will need to pick up some stove fuel, canister or white gas, before headding out on the section from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace SP. Can anybody reccomend a good spot?

lilmountaingirl
03-27-2006, 11:22
Assuming you will be heading up I-83 to I-81 (to get to Pine Grove) from the airport...

Wildware is right off of I-83. Take the exit for Union Deposit Road (not sure of the exit number). Make a left off the exit, over the highway. You will see a Comfort Inn and McDonald's on the left. Make a left at that light. Make your next left right past McD's and follow that road around (about 1/2 mile). Wildware is on the left.

You can see their sign from I-83 and it's easy to find. Also, if you need to pick up any food, etc...there are 3 grocery stores right off that exit, as well as a Rite Aid and a bunch of restaurants.

If you are going to be traveling a different way, there are a few other places to get fuel that I could recommend. Just let me know.

Have a great hike.

neo
03-27-2006, 11:36
I am flying into Harrisburg easter weekend and will need to pick up some stove fuel, canister or white gas, before headding out on the section from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace SP. Can anybody reccomend a good spot?

outdoor world pro bass shop carries it:cool: neo

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45441&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

gander mountain outdoor

http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_71

wildware outfitters

http://www.wildwarebackcountry.com/

all in harrisburg

:cool: neo

c.coyle
03-27-2006, 12:41
Assuming you will be heading up I-83 to I-81 (to get to Pine Grove) from the airport...

Actually, I think she's going to Pine Grove Furnace, which is the opposite direction from the town of Pine Grove.

Wildware, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro are 20-30 minute drives - away from PGF - from Harrisburg Int'l Airport, which is actually in Middletown.

I can't think of anything actually on the way from HIA to PGF.

lilmountaingirl
03-28-2006, 13:54
Actually, I think she's going to Pine Grove Furnace, which is the opposite direction from the town of Pine Grove.

Wildware, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro are 20-30 minute drives - away from PGF - from Harrisburg Int'l Airport, which is actually in Middletown.

I can't think of anything actually on the way from HIA to PGF.

I used to live right off of Union Deposit Road (about a mile from Wildware Backcountry) and would take 83N to 81S to get to PGF. I guess that's what I was thinking when I responded. It's the only way I could think of from HIA. Gander Mountain, Dick's and Bass Pro are all relatively out of the way too.

I wasn't thinking when I didn't add "furnace" to "Pine Grove", forgetting there is another town called Pine Grove...my mistake.

c.coyle
03-28-2006, 17:48
I used to live right off of Union Deposit Road (about a mile from Wildware Backcountry) and would take 83N to 81S to get to PGF. I guess that's what I was thinking when I responded. It's the only way I could think of from HIA. Gander Mountain, Dick's and Bass Pro are all relatively out of the way too.

I wasn't thinking when I didn't add "furnace" to "Pine Grove", forgetting there is another town called Pine Grove...my mistake.

You are correct. I automatically thought 81 North to the town of Pine Grove (which is 4 miles from the 501 Shelter). 81 South will get you to PGF.

I bet Stale Cracker is now thoroughly confused. :-?

EarlyBird2007
03-29-2006, 11:04
I'm almost 100% sure they have it at Wal-Mart. There's one south of Carlisle just off I-81 at the route 34 exit. That's right on your way to PGF.

EarlyBird2007
03-29-2006, 11:09
there's another Wal-Mart at Gettysburg just off Route 15 where it intersects with Route 30, if you are going that way.

Chavens
03-29-2006, 17:19
There is also a Wal-Mart off the Mechanicsburg Exit, on the Carlisle Pike...this is the same road the WildWare is located (which, I might add, is an EXCELLENT store for backpackers -- this is where I do all my gear shopping; I live about 30 minutes South).

EarlyBird2007
04-01-2006, 16:26
It's only about 4 miles from my house. If you are buying a lot of stuff, I would also look at REI. Excellent prices, and they're generally better than Wildware. The closest store to you is probably in Tinonium, MD. Just got a bunch of stuff there a couple weeks ago.

fredmugs
04-14-2006, 13:18
If I am hiking thru the Carlisle/Mechnicsburg area where are good places to re-supply, eat, lodge, etc? Can I leave a drop at the ATC mid-atlantic office and pick it up when I go thru?

EarlyBird2007
04-18-2006, 14:05
If I am hiking thru the Carlisle/Mechnicsburg area where are good places to re-supply, eat, lodge, etc? Can I leave a drop at the ATC mid-atlantic office and pick it up when I go thru?

My directions assume you are going North. Obviously, reverse everything if Southbound.

Places to eat: best one near AT is Middlesex Grill - Get off AT at bridge over Route 11 (Carlisle Pike), turn left, walk @ 1/3 mile West (towards Carlisle), on right side of road. In Boiling Springs, there is Boiling Springs Tavern (good, but a little pricy) & a pizza place a half block away.

Leaving a drop at AT office - Don't know for sure, you could email them. I think most people mail boxes to the BS post office, just across the street. BS zip code is 17007.

Resupply - Two good options. (1) Get off at BS, turn left, go to the four corners, go right on Forge Road about 3/4 mi. There's a pretty good Karns store on top of hill. (2) Get off AT at bridge over Route 11 (Carlisle Pike), turn right, go East (towards Harrisburg). Walk or hitch on Route 11 about 2-3 miles to Silver Springs strip mall at corner of Route 11 and 114. There are two good stores, a Giant food store and a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

fredmugs
04-26-2006, 17:35
Thanks for the info. I contacted the ATC and they said they do not accept mail drops and to use the post office.

Next question: I saw some old trail journals about hikers staying with a woman called Mother Hen and they all said it was preferable to staying at the Ironmasters Hostel. These journals were several years old and I was windering if she was still in business. One of the journals gave her mailing address but not her phone number.