PDA

View Full Version : Clingmans Dome tower, trail closed

mogilews
03-24-2006, 12:38
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_4565230,00.html

Clingmans Dome tower, trail closed By News Sentinel staff
March 23, 2006
The paved trail leading to Clingmans Dome as well as the observation tower itself will be closed until May 13 while park workers repave the trail, a press release from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park said Thursday. "The paved trail is badly in need of repaving for safety reasons," park Superintendent Dale Ditmanson said in the release. "We began the paving project in November after leaf season, but had to suspend work when weather got too cold to lay asphalt.
"Our crews now need to resume work in order to finish the job before the busy summer season."
The release stated that Clingmans Dome Road and the parking lot will open as scheduled April 1, and "those areas offer visitors a good high-elevation vista."
The restrooms will also be closed, and hikers trying to access the Appalachian Trail and other hiking trails from the area around Clingmans Dome will need to use the Forney Ridge Trail head, the release said.

Doctari
03-24-2006, 14:40
I was on that trail in 69, it needed to be repaved then. by my last time on it in 97, oh my, have seen sections of rocky trail that were better.

So, this is good news, IMHO. Shame about the toilets being closed, but as you can't get there anyway. . . . . . . .

Doctari.

The Solemates
03-24-2006, 16:25
was just on the trail this fall. it doesnt need repaved. its fine. never needed to be paved in the first place. ridiculous.

Seeker
03-24-2006, 18:51
ridiculous unless you're trying to push a wheelchair up it, unpaved... i saw a guy pulling himself up that hill once, with no one pushing... hands were pretty beat up by the time he got to the top... the elderly who make the trip also appreciate it being paved, my parents included... the clingman's dome facility is a marvel... the 6-7 mile access road, the trail, water lines, and tower itself make the scenary of the smokies accessible to some folks who might otherwise not be able to climb a mountain and see a view... granted, it's so easy now that some inconsiderate folks forget their manners, and the crowds in the summer are a real pain... but for those who can't climb otherwise, small children, and non-hikers, it's a good thing... too bad some of them litter, but a lot of them are flatland tourists who have never seen anything like the view from the top, and won't ever... i don't mind them... just mho...

RockyTrail
03-24-2006, 18:58
I was on that trail in 69, it needed to be repaved then. by my last time on it in 97, oh my, have seen sections of rocky trail that were better.

So, this is good news, IMHO. Shame about the toilets being closed, but as you can't get there anyway. . . . . . . .

Doctari.

Yes, I know I'm sometimes I am in really bad shape, but did you have to go and point it out to everybody:D

Kerosene
03-25-2006, 10:30
How easy would it be to start/end a section hike at Clingman's Dome? Is there any safe long-term parking here? Does anyone know if shuttlers service this area? When does the access road close in the Fall?

Seeker
03-25-2006, 10:53
How easy would it be to start/end a section hike at Clingman's Dome? Is there any safe long-term parking here? Does anyone know if shuttlers service this area? When does the access road close in the Fall?

i've done figure-8 loops using both clingman's dome or the newfound gap parking lots as a resupply 'base', from the trunk of my car. the rangers patrol them pretty much all day. newfound gap is closer to the main road, maybe resulting in more patrols and more strangers passing the car. clingman's is further away, possibly meaning fewer patrols... i don't really know... both have water too.

easy to catch rides into gatlinburg from newfound gap, and i'm sure going back up the hill would be the same... the access road closes oct31/nov1, iirc, but someone local can correct me... i think it reopens march 1. newfound gap is always open, because of the road over the smokies... you could just as easily enter/leave the trail from there.

The Solemates
03-27-2006, 11:41
i've done figure-8 loops using both clingman's dome or the newfound gap parking lots as a resupply 'base', from the trunk of my car. the rangers patrol them pretty much all day. newfound gap is closer to the main road, maybe resulting in more patrols and more strangers passing the car. clingman's is further away, possibly meaning fewer patrols... i don't really know... both have water too.

easy to catch rides into gatlinburg from newfound gap, and i'm sure going back up the hill would be the same... the access road closes oct31/nov1, iirc, but someone local can correct me... i think it reopens march 1. newfound gap is always open, because of the road over the smokies... you could just as easily enter/leave the trail from there.

i thought the road to clingmans opened april 1, but i may be wrong. i think it also depends on the amount of snow.

i dont know if rangers patrol the parking lot every day, but i have been up there on several occasions at sunrise and ran into a park ranger just pulling up in his truck. i wouldnt be afraid to leave my car there. but like seeker said, its just as easy (or easier) to leave it at newfound gap, which gets more traffic and is only a few miles away.

im sure shuttlers from gatlinburg would be happy to arrange something with you, but they will probably cost an arm and a leg.

Stix
03-28-2006, 11:02

Clingmans Dome tower, trail closed By News Sentinel staff
March 23, 2006
...and hikers trying to access the Appalachian Trail and other hiking trails from the area around Clingmans Dome will need to use the Forney Ridge Trail head, the release said.

I had planed to hike the Western half of the Smokies this past weekend but twenty inches of snow, blizzard like conditions, 441 to Newfound Gap closed kinda nixed the trip.
Are A.T. hikers being rerouted around Clingsmans Dome via the bypass trail?
:-?

The Solemates
03-28-2006, 11:11
I had planed to hike the Western half of the Smokies this past weekend but twenty inches of snow, blizzard like conditions, 441 to Newfound Gap closed kinda nixed the trip.
Are A.T. hikers being rerouted around Clingsmans Dome via the bypass trail?
:-?

thru-hikers dont need any kind of bypass trail. if you are referring to sections hikers, then there are several opportunities to access clingmans other than via the parking lot.

Stix
03-28-2006, 11:40
thru-hikers dont need any kind of bypass trail. if you are referring to sections hikers, then there are several opportunities to access clingmans other than via the parking lot.
I plan to start at Newfound gap and head south to Fontana. To me the article implied that the entire section of the A.T. around Clingsman Dome would be closed. I was just looking for some clarification here. Conjecture from the La-Z-Boy is advice that can get you killed.
:eek:

mogilews
04-03-2006, 10:09
I did this stretch (Fontata to Davenport) about four times back when my family used to take me to the park every summer.

I think the bypass trail hooks up with the Forney Ridge parking area via the Forney Ridge Trail (which also goes 1.1 m to Andrew's Bald, btw). It doesn't take you over the top, and the shortest way to get back to the trail would be the paved summit trail from the parking area, which is supposedly out of commission.

I think if you take the AT straight through you'll be fine, but you might not be able to use the tower. Which

And you can always call the park!

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/contact.html

fivefour
04-03-2006, 17:50
i hiked this are in november when they were finishing up before the winter season and all the trails were open. the paved "trail" (which was almost fully repaved) up to the dome was taped off but everyone ignored it and walked up anyway. the tower was still open at this time however. the AT is still accesible via the bypass or forney ridge trails from the clingmans dome parking lot. i made reservations for a hike with the park during easter weekend and the lot, both trails and the AT will be open that weekend and all other times during the repaving i am sure.

CaptChaos
04-03-2006, 22:53
Hello Group:

I had the chance to make it to Clingmans this weekend. The park service has everything marked off and they extend past the rest rooms into the parking area.

The area was open when we were there on April 1. There was just spotty snow in the ditch from time to time on the way up to the top.

Saw a couple of backpackers by Indian Gap Trail but I did not get the chance to talk to them.

In regards to leaving your car at Clingmans or Newfound Gap. I think that I would go to one of the parking areas in Gatlinburg and leave my car there and get a lift from town to your starting point. I have to admit that in 2001 we started at Newfound Gap on our way to Cades Cove Ranger Station. If I had to do it over again I would start at Clingman's instead of Newfound Gap. For me starting out from Newfound Gap and then going down to Mt. Colins shelter and then trying to climb back out it was a pain. The trail from Newfound Gap follows the road anyway most of the way up to the top. I just think that next time I would start at Clingmans instead.

I found my pictures the other day of the trip that we did from Newfound Gap to Cades cove. I am going to try to put them on the net and then I will send a link to you all so that you can take a look at them if you would like to. It was a great trip.

CaptChaos

ToeJam
04-07-2006, 07:16
OK - question.

This is kind of a bummer to us, we are going thru here on or section in a lil over a week and won't be back for quite a few years til we do our thru. The highst point on the whole trail is kind of a big deal ya know lol.

So I have read, searched and looked and cannot figure out exactly how the area around the dome, parking lot, tower, trail, is mapped out. Are we able to get close to the tower? I had read there is no good feet-on-the-ground views if you don't go up the tower, is this true? I guess all in all I am wondering if we can't go up on the tower or near it (or maybe we will be kind of near it?) will we still be on the highest point of the trail do you think? The man is concerned about these specifics ya know lol.

And/or if anyone knows of a good link with a map of that area zoomed in enough so I can see where everything is in relation to each other (trail/parking lot/paved area/tower/views), that'd be cool too.

TIA...

~ ToeJam

Doctari
04-07-2006, 09:35
To get to the dome without the access trail, you could probably take the "Dome bypass trail" (BPT) from the parking lot to the AT, take a right. Probably about 1 mile parking lot to tower. The BPT starts at the far end of the parking lot, just a little left of the paved path.
If memory serves, great views are to be had near the jct of the AT & the BPT, make that FANTASTIC views.

OR: park at Newfound Gap, & hike the AT to the tower. I think its about 16 miles RT.

Doctari.

Doctari
04-07-2006, 09:40
Sorry, hit send afore I were dun.

There are no views at/near the tower (which is closed) without climbing the tower. For a fantastic view, easier access, climb to the Chimneys. The parking lot is on Newfound gap Rd, about 1/2 way between Gatlinburg & Newfound gap, on the right as you ascend. I think, not sure as I havn't done it for years, it is 6 miles RT. DO NOT climb if afraid of heights.

Doctari.

Jaybird
04-07-2006, 09:47
Clingmans Dome tower, trail closed (B]By News Sentinel staff[/B]
March 23, 2006
The paved trail leading to Clingmans Dome as well as the observation tower itself will be closed until May 13 while park workers repave the trail,

The road up to CLingmans Dome opened APRIL 1st...but, according to the PRESS RELEASE the restrooms & Observation Tower is closed TIL FURTHER NOTICE due to paving of 1/2 mile access trail (parking lot to observation tower).

Forney Trail has to be used to access other trails...

this is bad news for hikers...CLINGMANS has always been a FAVORITE spot of mine...

The Solemates
04-07-2006, 10:08
To get to the dome without the access trail, you could probably take the "Dome bypass trail" (BPT) from the parking lot to the AT, take a right. Probably about 1 mile parking lot to tower. The BPT starts at the far end of the parking lot, just a little left of the paved path.
If memory serves, great views are to be had near the jct of the AT & the BPT, make that FANTASTIC views.

OR: park at Newfound Gap, & hike the AT to the tower. I think its about 16 miles RT.

Doctari.

Im fairly certain 441 to clingmans is 7 miles one way, or 14 miles RT.

Doctari
04-07-2006, 13:21
Im fairly certain 441 to clingmans is 7 miles one way, or 14 miles RT.

Yea, but the AT is a bit longer, 7.9 I rounded to 8, so 16 :)

Doctari.

tech30528
04-09-2006, 12:44
Very helpful, guys, I'm going to be in the area on the 22nd-24th. I'm coming up from Georgia, and my hiking partner will be meeting me to start of Saturday morning. So where should I stay on Friday night? I'm looking for something easy to drive to with close trail access. Is there a place any of you could recommend?

DLFrost
04-11-2006, 11:10
Yep, awsome dropoffs to both sides where the bypass trail meets the AT in the saddle between Clingmans Dome and Mt. Buckley. And total milage to the tower via. this route is only about a mile (paved trail is 0.5). That said, the parking lot does offer great views.

I'll go have a look and see if the tower is accessable on an informal (cough) basis...

Doug Frost

Jack Tarlin
04-11-2006, 11:28
The walkway might be closed, but the Tower isn't, we climbed up it the day before yesterday. There are no signs or anything else indicating the Tower is closed, at least not at its base. I don't know what the signs say at the parking lot..... There were a few folks who walked up anyway from the parking lot; I'm not suggesting or advocating ignoring the signs, but if you really WANT to get to the Tower, it's easily done.

ToeJam
04-11-2006, 16:11
SWEET! Thanks Jack and Doug! That's good to know... heading out tomorrow, whoohoo! Should hit Clingmans on Easter morning. :)

~ ToeJam

tech30528
04-29-2006, 10:54
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/tech30528/11080018.jpg
04/22/06

Anybody thought to use the storage space under to tower as an emergency shelter?

DLFrost
05-06-2006, 01:12
Anybody thought to use the storage space under to tower as an emergency shelter?

That must be a recent pic... The lumber in the background is from the work being done at the nearby weather/radio station. Yea, you could use the space there now that someone has finally broken the door. :(

As of a couple of days ago the tower path was in prep for paving, with water control features being cast and setting, and erosion areas graveled. Until the actual pave people can just walk up the path (as I did). Afterwards, I recommend using the previously mentioned side-trails. (Let's not track that tar stuff everywhere...) Tower, easily accessible. Bathrooms, locked. Had great sunset views--could even see the Blacks (Mt. Mitchell, et. al.).

Doug Frost

NINpigNIN
05-19-2006, 22:52
For a fantastic view, easier access, climb to the Chimneys. The parking lot is on Newfound gap Rd, about 1/2 way between Gatlinburg & Newfound gap, on the right as you ascend. I think, not sure as I havn't done it for years, it is 6 miles RT. DO NOT climb if afraid of heights.

Chimneys trail is 4 miles RT, and if you attempt it you'll probably want to make sure you can freely use both hands at once. Since it's close to the road and a short trail it gets tons of use from people who have no business trying it, the same as other places that are close to a road (June '05 coming down from LeConte via Alum Cave Bluffs we came across some tourists about a mile in and the mom was wearing heels!).

I'd shoot for Charlies Bunion instead 4 miles in on the AT from Newfound Gap. Sunset from the Bunion is amazing, and Icewater Spring Shelter is only a mile back towards Newfound Gap. Also right before Icewater Springs you can jump onto The Boulevard towards LeConte and hike a short distance to a side-trail to The Jumpoff, which gives great views of the Bunion itself.