PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Opinions Requested

Seapig
03-09-2021, 11:52
Starting a NOBO thru hike starting 3/17/21 and just want some last minute opinions on a shelter. My original plan was to take my Nemo Dagger 2P tent. With that and my other gear, it made for a base weight in the 25 pound range. More and more I’ve been thinking of switching to a bivy/tarp combo. I’ve ordered an Outdoor Research Helium bivy but have yet to receive it. Reviews all seem to indicate that when it’s closed up, there’s a lot of condensation buildup inside. I’m thinking with an REI tarp at 115”x115”, if I put that over the bivy, I’d be able to sleep with just the bug net by the head, allowing airflow within. A switch to the bivy/tarp would save about 2 pounds, and I’m thinking that it could be a good way to start off. If the tarp system isn’t to my liking, I can always have the tent sent out to meet me. Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback.

Gambit McCrae
03-09-2021, 12:08
Cant go wrong with a tarptent.com product. Look at the styles and see what you think would match up good with your style

AsoloBootsSuk
03-09-2021, 12:20
Starting a NOBO thru hike starting 3/17/21 and just want some last minute opinions on a shelter. My original plan was to take my Nemo Dagger 2P tent. With that and my other gear, it made for a base weight in the 25 pound range. More and more I’ve been thinking of switching to a bivy/tarp combo. I’ve ordered an Outdoor Research Helium bivy but have yet to receive it. Reviews all seem to indicate that when it’s closed up, there’s a lot of condensation buildup inside. I’m thinking with an REI tarp at 115”x115”, if I put that over the bivy, I’d be able to sleep with just the bug net by the head, allowing airflow within. A switch to the bivy/tarp would save about 2 pounds, and I’m thinking that it could be a good way to start off. If the tarp system isn’t to my liking, I can always have the tent sent out to meet me. Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback.

I slept in this last night. I stayed dry in a steady rain. 8x10 sinylon tarp. Nylon emergency tarp as a ground sheet. Plough point config with the opening facing east. With 3 stakes and one guy line, it is 22 ounces for all. I have always been able to stay dry with this. However, bugs don't really bother me.

garlic08
03-09-2021, 13:31
Ditto Tarptent.

Big_Old_Dog
03-09-2021, 13:44
I have a Tarptent Notch Li. Stupid expensive but I am very impressed so far. It is 21.4 oz with lines, stakes, stuff sack, bug enclosement with floor, and the actual "tarp". I just got it. Set it up in maybe 3 minutes the first time. Spent the night in it and Katabatic Palisades the other night....it got down to 17F and it was windy.

I have used just plain old tarps in the past. I don't like the bugs all over me.

nsherry61
03-09-2021, 14:23
My only comment is to go ahead and use the tarp, but ditch the bivy. Save even more weight as the bivy is unnecessary under a tarp unless you're using it to protect from bugs, in which case, a bug net is a lot lighter weight, or you want extra warmth, in which case, carry a warmer quilt or bag.

CalebJ
03-09-2021, 14:32
My only comment is to go ahead and use the tarp, but ditch the bivy. Save even more weight as the bivy is unnecessary under a tarp unless you're using it to protect from bugs, in which case, a bug net is a lot lighter weight, or you want extra warmth, in which case, carry a warmer quilt or bag.

There are times that you don't need the tarp and bivy together, but to say that it's unnecessary under a tarp as a blanket statement is absurd.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2021, 20:37
For that time of year I'd stick with the tent.

Dogwood
03-10-2021, 00:58
If it's only 1 p thru hiking why opt for the features of a 2p tent that weighs almost 4 lbs? Going to an UL 1p shelter can save you 1.5+ lbs. A 25 BW was not achieved with an almost 4 lb tent alone. Post a lighter pack sheet. Maybe, we can help you reduce your gear load out in other areas.

As far as condensation that is also a consequence of problematic CS selection(open grassy meadows/balds, waterside low spots, etc), specific weather, and tent utilization/personal usage habits. If the Nemo Dagger does not need to be completely tightened down in storm mode you'll experience less risk of condensation.

Cheyou
03-10-2021, 14:03
I’m not a bivy fan. I’ve had condensation issues with them . My preference is a shaped tarp but a 9.5x 9.5 tarp would work for me

nsherry61
03-10-2021, 14:26
There are times that you don't need the tarp and bivy together, but to say that it's unnecessary under a tarp as a blanket statement is absurd.

This isn't an tarp thread, so I want to avoid getting very deep into this. But, to suggest that a bivy is a valuable addition to a tarp (except tarps smaller than about 6 x 9) is to suggest that the suggester hasn't spent much time in varied conditions under a tarp and instead has likely spend more time reading about it on-line. I get that a tarp isn't for everyone. BUT, I have yet to find conditions (aside from avoiding horrible bug hatchings) where I want a bivy under my tarp. And, I challenge you to find any conditions likely to be found along any of our National Scenic Trails, that I haven't slept in under a tarp without a bivy. I find the bivy to be redundant and unused, except as a ground sheet, if carried.

CalebJ
03-10-2021, 16:31
Yes, you're right.

All of us that find value in the tarp and bivy combination are inexperienced and uneducated internet only backpackers.

You win?

Slo-go'en
03-10-2021, 22:07
I'm not a fan of tarps. I get a fair about of use out of my OR Advanced bivy during the fall season. Using either or both on an AT thru will turn you into a shelter dweller real quick.

A tent has a lot of advantages, especially in the early spring. Get a nice 1.5 to 2 pound sil-nylon tent which is quick and easy to set up and be done with it.

With only 7 days left before the OP's scheduled departure, not much time left to make a decision if one hasn't been made already. But then, the outfitters at Mountain Crossings would be more then happy to sell you a nice tent.

Dogwood
03-10-2021, 22:50
This isn't an tarp thread, so I want to avoid getting very deep into this. But, to suggest that a bivy is a valuable addition to a tarp (except tarps smaller than about 6 x 9) is to suggest that the suggester hasn't spent much time in varied conditions under a tarp and instead has likely spend more time reading about it on-line. I get that a tarp isn't for everyone. BUT, I have yet to find conditions (aside from avoiding horrible bug hatchings) where I want a bivy under my tarp. And, I challenge you to find any conditions likely to be found along any of our National Scenic Trails, that I haven't slept in under a tarp without a bivy. I find the bivy to be redundant and unused, except as a ground sheet, if carried.

A bivy under a tarp does not only function in a shelter capacity but sleep system capacity as well. It tweaks the sleep system. It can also serve as bug protection and, as you stated, suffice for groundsheet.

TNhiker
03-10-2021, 22:52
And, I challenge you to find any conditions likely to be found along any of our National Scenic Trails, that I haven't slept in under a tarp without a bivy.

so you've slept under a tarp without a bivy during a freak snow storm in the summer, when
other hikers are launching flaming marshmallows at your tarp, all while reading some
edgar allen poe?

Sweet...

Props to you...

TNhiker
03-10-2021, 22:53
This isn't an tarp thread

actually, it kinda is....

here's what the OP writes----"More and more I’ve been thinking of switching to a bivy/tarp combo."

Dogwood
03-10-2021, 22:54
... But, to suggest that a bivy is a valuable addition to a tarp (except tarps smaller than about 6 x 9) is to suggest that the suggester hasn't spent much time in varied conditions under a tarp and instead has likely spend more time reading about it on-line....

I could be wrong but that's the gist I surmised of the OP too. They are feeling tarps out as a tarp neophyte specific to an AT NOBO during typical NOBO time frames.

CalebJ
03-10-2021, 23:26
I could be wrong but that's the gist I surmised of the OP too. They are feeling tarps out as a tarp neophyte specific to an AT NOBO during typical NOBO time frames.

Nsherry wasn't referring to the OP as the suggester.

Miner
03-11-2021, 00:03
First off, I do think you need to reduce your baseweight, particularly at your age where injury is easier than someone in their twenties. I always recommend trying for a baseweight of 15lbs or less. It lessens the likely hood of injury and makes the walking more enjoyable with less pain.

I'm primarily a bivy and tarp user. Even did a late summer/fall section hike of the northern 600 miles of the AT with that setup. I don't recommend your choices though. The Outdoor Research Helium bivy is a poor choice to use with a tarp. It's virtually a tent with little ventilation which you don't need since you are also bringing a tarp. If you are insistent that a tarp is what you want, I would have gone more with a <8oz water resistent bivy rather than a heavy water proof one when used with a tarp (Mountain Laurel Designs superbivy and their Grace Solo tarp is what I mostly use). Here are some photos of my setup (https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOnZDXK4ns4H2eW6T_7I1kQtl-yXRCOhi-zrd7oPtn_vpOw1O5XXnc68prdEsn8ig?key=VGRybkh1VHV2RH hIMlM4SkE1TUh0T0gxUzFzZTNR). That said, if you don't have much experience using a bivy and tarp, I don't recommend starting a thru-hike with them without having gained some experience first, which you don't look to have that time. You'd be better off staying with a more tent like structure. As others recommended, one of the solo sized Tarp Tents, even the cheaper non DCF versions, are a good choice for weight for someone coming from a more traditional tent. Mountain Laurel designs tents, Zpacks tents, and many others also offer some lightweight tent like options. That said, a bivy does have some advantages if you plan on staying in shelters much, since it can be used inside one. But whatever you choose, setup it up a few times and see if you like it, preferably in some wet weather.

JNI64
03-11-2021, 00:31
I'm not a fan of tarps. I get a fair about of use out of my OR Advanced bivy during the fall season. Using either or both on an AT thru will turn you into a shelter dweller real quick.

A tent has a lot of advantages, especially in the early spring. Get a nice 1.5 to 2 pound sil-nylon tent which is quick and easy to set up and be done with it.

With only 7 days left before the OP's scheduled departure, not much time left to make a decision if one hasn't been made already. But then, the outfitters at Mountain Crossings would be more then happy to sell you a nice tent.

Not necessarily Evan thru hiked the AT with just a tarp and sandals and made it look easy. I don't think I've ever seen him in a shelter.

cmoulder
03-11-2021, 08:41
This is very late to be sussing out shelter options! :o

Personally, when I were a ground sleeper (hammock now) I really liked the bivy/tarp combo because it gave me the options to do cowboy or bivy (bugs!) or tarp only (hot, not too buggy) or tarp+bivy when things were really really messy, wet and cold.

My setup was (and I still have it for trips where GtG is mandatory) a Zpacks hex solo tarp and a clone of a Zpacks splash bivy. I find the center zip arrangement to be excellent.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2021, 09:58
Not necessarily Evan thru hiked the AT with just a tarp and sandals and made it look easy. I don't think I've ever seen him in a shelter.

There is always that one person who somehow gets away with things like that. Not many can pull that off.

CalebJ
03-11-2021, 10:05
Evan's case does seem to be the exception, but there are plenty of us using various combinations that have worked well in 'normal' weather (i.e. typical thru hiking conditions, not winter in the whites, etc). For me, the tarp and bivy combo has worked very well for many years now and doesn't push me into shelters at all. As cmoulder said, it provides tremendous adaptability for weather.

All of that said, the OP is making this decision very late in the game and a more traditional approach like a lightweight tent is probably the wisest choice.

Big_Old_Dog
03-11-2021, 10:28
OP has 1 post. Hasn't responded to any suggestions. Do they carry tarps, tents, (and leukotape) at Neels Gap Mt Cross?

JNI64
03-11-2021, 10:44
OP has 1 post. Hasn't responded to any suggestions. Do they carry tarps, tents, (and leukotape) at Neels Gap Mt Cross?

From 1/19 21 at that, kinda erks me when folks do that!

JNI64
03-11-2021, 10:46
Sorry I meant 3/20 21

CalebJ
03-11-2021, 10:49
Sorry I meant 3/20 21

Did you mean 3/09/21?

Seapig
03-11-2021, 11:16
Sorry for the long delay in responding, and yes, I do only have one post, but I’ve got to start somewhere. My main reason for considering a tarp/bivy combo is to address the issue of bugs (bivy) and rain (tarp). Condensation is a frequently mentioned issue with the bivy I bought (OR Helium), and the tarp will allow me to sleep with just the bug netting over my head and still stay out of the rain wile allowing airflow into the bivy. I have decided to opt for this over a traditional tent, mainly for the weight savings. What I’ve been reading and seeing online is a ton of people on the trail, and I figure that if I can minimize my footprint, campsite selection may be a bit easier. I’m keeping in mind that if this doesn’t work for me, I can get outfitted at Mountain Crossings as has been mentioned above.

As far as my 25 lb. base weight, I’ll be pulling everything out today and going over what I truly need to bring vs. what I want to bring. I’m sure I can knock a couple pounds off by doing that. I think my main weight issue is overpacking clothing. I just need to accept that I’ll stink most of the time, and that clean clothing won’t do anything to change that!

Again, thanks for the input and I’m sorry for not responding sooner. I was simply taking it all in.

cmoulder
03-11-2021, 11:52
Sorry for the long delay in responding, and yes, I do only have one post, but I’ve got to start somewhere. My main reason for considering a tarp/bivy combo is to address the issue of bugs (bivy) and rain (tarp). Condensation is a frequently mentioned issue with the bivy I bought (OR Helium), and the tarp will allow me to sleep with just the bug netting over my head and still stay out of the rain wile allowing airflow into the bivy. I have decided to opt for this over a traditional tent, mainly for the weight savings. What I’ve been reading and seeing online is a ton of people on the trail, and I figure that if I can minimize my footprint, campsite selection may be a bit easier. I’m keeping in mind that if this doesn’t work for me, I can get outfitted at Mountain Crossings as has been mentioned above.

As far as my 25 lb. base weight, I’ll be pulling everything out today and going over what I truly need to bring vs. what I want to bring. I’m sure I can knock a couple pounds off by doing that. I think my main weight issue is overpacking clothing. I just need to accept that I’ll stink most of the time, and that clean clothing won’t do anything to change that!

Again, thanks for the input and I’m sorry for not responding sooner. I was simply taking it all in.
A 25lb base is HUGE. I don't know if you're sure how this is defined, but base weight is all the gear in your pack minus consumables... food, water and fuel. By this (correct) definition, a base of 12-15 lb is easily achievable. You might see a total pack weight of 22-25 lbs right after resupply if you're carrying a lot of food and water, but that really should be the max, and ideally 20lbs is a good max. Right after resupply, if FOOD is not the #1 heaviest item (by a lot!) in your pack list you're doing something wrong.

HERE (https://www.longdistancehiker.com/gear/) (<-- link!) is some good reading if you want to catch up on things in a hurry! :)

JNI64
03-11-2021, 11:54
Did you mean 3/09/21?

Yes I did sorry. I don't have edit anymore for some reason and that's a problem with my ADHD sometimes. It seems some people have it still, (members)?

And the older I get the less filter I have which is not a good combo. Afterall I don't want to be canceled :eek: .

Anyway good luck with everything Seapig....

Seapig
03-11-2021, 12:02
Additionally, instead of just jumping in and starting to ask questions, I guess I should provide a bit of an introduction:

I was a Police officer for the city of Seattle (hence Sea- pig) for 26.5 until Friday, February 26, 2021. I thought my wife and I would cruise into my retirement until she told me she wanted a divorce. In trying to hit some sort of a reset button in my life, I decided to do something to take me out of my comfort zone. While I’m not new to hiking/backpacking, recent years have been nothing more than long day hikes of 15+ miles through the Cascades. I spent my years around college hiking and backpacking the White Mountains of NH as well.

In my job, I knew I’d never be loved by all, but these days it seems those in my profession are universally hated. This is especially true in the politically charged PNW. In doing the AT, I hope to see that there is good in the world, and that not everybody is a hater. I’ve encountered a lot of f-ed up stuff in my years, and want to find a healthy outlet to work through it.

I’m not sure where my life will take me after this, but this journey is something I need to do to work out all of the crap I’ve dealt with for most of my adult life.

Again, I sincerely thank everyone who responded here with input.

CalebJ
03-11-2021, 12:06
Yes I did sorry. I don't have edit anymore for some reason and that's a problem with my ADHD sometimes. It seems some people have it still, (members)?
Being a supporter does give edit access. I think it starts at $10 a year.

CalebJ
03-11-2021, 12:10
Additionally, instead of just jumping in and starting to ask questions, I guess I should provide a bit of an introduction:

I was a Police officer for the city of Seattle (hence Sea- pig) for 26.5 until Friday, February 26, 2021. I thought my wife and I would cruise into my retirement until she told me she wanted a divorce. In trying to hit some sort of a reset button in my life, I decided to do something to take me out of my comfort zone. While I’m not new to hiking/backpacking, recent years have been nothing more than long day hikes of 15+ miles through the Cascades. I spent my years around college hiking and backpacking the White Mountains of NH as well.

In my job, I knew I’d never be loved by all, but these days it seems those in my profession are universally hated. This is especially true in the politically charged PNW. In doing the AT, I hope to see that there is good in the world, and that not everybody is a hater. I’ve encountered a lot of f-ed up stuff in my years, and want to find a healthy outlet to work through it.

I’m not sure where my life will take me after this, but this journey is something I need to do to work out all of the crap I’ve dealt with for most of my adult life.

I'm truly sorry to hear of the way life and career have treated you lately. Hopefully getting out on the trail does lead to healing.

colorado_rob
03-11-2021, 12:14
Thanks for the intro Seapig. try to heed cmoulder's words below and get to that 15 lb baseweight if you could.

It might be all about the clothing.

FWIW, I basically carry only one extra pair of socks and underwear, the rest of my clothing kit is, for a relatively warm weather hike like the AT:

short sleeve "base layer" shirt, some OR brand something, weighs 4.5 ounces.

a long sleeve, button-down Kuhl brand hiking shirt, nice and airy, light, etc. Even looks a bit spiffy when clean (not often!)

zip-off REI brand Sahara pants. I know lots of AT thru's swear by only shorts, but I like my zip-on legs and all the pockets.

a micro-fleece 2nd layer, cheap columbia brand, 7 ounces. I could do w/o this on a trail like the AT though.

a Montbell UL down sweater, 7.5 ounces, nice to slip on in early mornings and late evenings.

Frogg-togg UL rain suit, $20, 11 total ounces for pants and jacket. Most people hate the pants, they are super baggy and the crotch rips instantly, but that's OK they still work (with ventilation!) for warmth.

That's it. Besides the minimum I'd be wearing (shorts and base layer t-shirt) the total other clothing weight might be 2 pounds, max.

Just some thoughts on reducing your clothing weight.

stephanD
03-11-2021, 12:49
Just my two cents. I see your reasoning behind the tarp/bivy combo but I think the best option for you is a one/two person (depends how big you are) light weight tent. Tarp requires advance backpacking skills that come with experience.

gpburdelljr
03-11-2021, 13:35
From 1/19 21 at that, kinda erks me when folks do that!
The OP asked for suggestions, which were provided. I see no need for the OP to respond to the suggestions.

CalebJ
03-11-2021, 13:36
Just my two cents. I see your reasoning behind the tarp/bivy combo but I think the best option for you is a one/two person (depends how big you are) light weight tent. Tarp requires advance backpacking skills that come with experience.
I tend to agree. Maybe something like a Protrail would work if you're using trekking poles anyway, but otherwise stay mainstream. The Dagger you've got now isn't really a bad choice - there's plenty of weight you could save elsewhere to offset it.

AsoloBootsSuk
03-11-2021, 13:58

I commend you for putting yourself out there. This site has a lot of good information but is also quick to hang you for any perceived weak idea. Your experience on the trail will be more enjoyable.

JNI64
03-11-2021, 14:13
The OP asked for suggestions, which were provided. I see no need for the OP to respond to the suggestions.

You're right a thread starter doesn't have to join in the conversation they started but I find it kinda rude when they don't.

JNI64
03-11-2021, 14:20

Thanks for your service and all you've protected and served .
I thank law enforcement all the time for what they do.

I have found myself in the same position and I to thought I had a plan to retirement but yep ,I wanted a divorce after catching her with the neighbor .

I truly relate and hope you find peace somehow, someway.
Not everyone is a hater we love law enforcement Pryor or existing.

JNI64
03-12-2021, 01:23
Starting on st Patrick's day eh , luck of the Irish to ya indeed!

Seapig
03-12-2021, 02:56
St. Patrick’s Day (the holiest of holy days!) is the plan. Spending the night before at Amicalola Falls Lodge before setting off and not sure if they stock Guinness, so I need to get at least one can in Atlanta the day before so I can start the trail off right! I would go for some Irish whiskey, but we don’t always get along well.

JNI64
03-12-2021, 03:48
Cheers brother hey whatever it takes to get you through.

And when you get up to HF , PM me if so inclined for shuttle, places stay,eat,etc......

Seapig
03-12-2021, 03:51
Will do. Thanks for the offer!

RockDoc
03-12-2021, 11:50
That's a winter hike. Take a tent. Don't be on the stupid side of light.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2021, 13:08
That's a winter hike. Take a tent. Don't be on the stupid side of light.

Looks like it's summer in Georgia and it looks like it will stay that way too. We get a blast of cold air here in New England this weekend, then it's back to mid spring temps in the Whites. it hit 64 degrees yesterday, today it hit 50, hasn't gone below freezing all week. Winters aren't what they used to be around here...

Seapig
03-12-2021, 13:11
After reviewing all of the posts, most people suggested a tent over tarp/bivy. My tarp has been returned and a Nemo Hornet 1P tent replaced it. Shaved a few ounces off the tarp/bivy, and after dumping out my gear, was able to get my weight down to 20 pounds. Instead of opening up a new thread, I’ll ask here- do I really need a brain on my pack? Would cut off another 9 ounces, and don’t think I’ll need it after the space I saved by purging my clothing. I have a contractor bag that I’ve got lining the inside of my bag, so I don’t think that rain leaking in would be an issue.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to start asking this stuff!

On a good note, I just received my second COVID shot, so I’ll minimize my risk of that on trail!

CalebJ
03-12-2021, 15:08
Good choice on the tent!

You certainly don't 'need' the brain on the pack. Whether its weight is worthwhile is a very individual decision. It definitely has value in organizing some items in a quickly accessible location.

What kind of pack are you using? For that matter, maybe it's a good time to go over the whole kit (if you dare - opening yourself to a world of opinions will invariably create controversy).

justhike
03-12-2021, 15:29
Not sure what kind of pack you are carrying, but if it's not dyneema/cuban some of the fabrics can really soak up the water. so even if your stuff stays dry inside, you have a heavier pack that can take a while to dry. I like to have a pack rain cover (3.6oz) - keeps the mud off if you want to set the pack down too. If I had a dyneema pack I might feel differently. Does your pack have a roll-top?

Personally I keep the brain on my pack for daytime storage - usually my food for the day, headlamp, etc that doesn't quite fit with my organization in other outside pockets. My goal is to never open the main part of my pack until I am in camp, so I've got my system. But 9oz would be a nice weight savings, so if you don't need that storage, that's a good reason to remove it (particularly if you have a roll-top).

If you carry some kind of ground sheet (I carry a piece of tyvek that I use for a tent 'footprint'; I use the Hornet 2p by the way), you could always strap that down across the top of your pack and it would help shed some rain. I find mine is usually damp anyway, so usually that's where it's strapped on. (making me think about the overkill of a roll-top, brain, tyvek AND rain cover! ...but for now, I'm sticking with it! my baseweight is a bit less than 16)

I'll be on trail up ahead of you - starting late March at mile 352 (where I left off after my first section in the fall). Doing another 4-5week section, then I'll be back home where the trail crosses from NY into CT....hiking, doing trail magic and shuttles.....so maybe see you when you make it up this way! Have a great hike.

Seapig
03-12-2021, 16:43
My pack is an Osprey Aether 60. I plan on taking the pack cover just for the little protection it provides. If I decide I don’t need it, I can just trash it.

As far as listing gear, I think I’m gonna keep that one to myself! For this trip, I’ve already bought too much stuff- 2 different tents, bivy, sleeping bag, water filter, cookware, 4 different pairs of shoes, all new clothing, 2 different mattress pads (when I get to Atlanta, I may try to return my large Neo Air for the smaller version and elevate my feet with my pack), sleeping bag liner, trekking poles, umbrella...the list goes on! I’m afraid if I post a list, I’ll have all sorts of item ideas that I really don’t want to buy.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2021, 16:47
If I only had a brain...
Mines' attached so I can't leave it home.
I find it's handy to have around.
I don't like roll top packs which I have to dig into to find anything. I want quick access to stuff I use during the day to be right up on top, a quick zip away.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2021, 16:49
Keep the long NeoAir. The extra comfort is well worth the minimal amount of weight.

Big_Old_Dog
03-12-2021, 16:50
I am kind of going thru the transition from a brained pack to a no-brain back (Nero). I did not really care for the brain. On the new pack, I bought a lightweight cuban fibre pouch that connects at the waist and dangles down the crotch. It offers great access to food, phone, sunscreen, lip balm, etc. But the crinkling noise and rubbing on the boyz is driving me crazy. I had to put the old pack down to access the brain box, so, it really did not offer much value to me other than organization. The Zpack front utility pack would be awesome otherwise. I think without a brainbox, some other small pouch would be helpful especially if access is easy while walking. Just 1 or maybe 1.5 litres

Venchka
03-12-2021, 21:50
Cant go wrong with a tarptent.com product. Look at the styles and see what you think would match up good with your style
Ditto.
The Notch or similar. The Stratospire 1 of you want a Bomb shelter.
Have fun!
Wayne

JNI64
03-13-2021, 00:05
I have the osprey Aether 70 and my brain has never been off. I like having the easy access to certain things like head lamp, E-kit, filter etc.. and I would definitely use that pack cover a soaking wet bag is heavy.

cmoulder
03-13-2021, 08:27
I haven't used a pack with a lid pocket (don't know why but I hate the term 'brain') for more than 10 years now (last one was REI Flash 62). A Zpacks hip pocket and the big mesh panel pocket and side water bottle pockets on the pack have proved entirely adequate for me.

IMO it helps to adopt the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" mentality. This helps enormously when packing up because you know automatically where everything goes, and it also provides a mental checklist if something is missing. And you know precisely where things are if you need them... none of this "digging around in the pack looking for something."

Alligator
03-13-2021, 14:16
I haven't used a pack with a lid pocket (don't know why but I hate the term 'brain') for more than 10 years now (last one was REI Flash 62). A Zpacks hip pocket and the big mesh panel pocket and side water bottle pockets on the pack have proved entirely adequate for me.

IMO it helps to adopt the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" mentality. This helps enormously when packing up because you know automatically where everything goes, and it also provides a mental checklist if something is missing. And you know precisely where things are if you need them... none of this "digging around in the pack looking for something."This a big reason I prefer the lid pocket. It keeps packing order similar across multiple packs. When I had a pack without one, I felt like I was driving a different car. It's adaptable but I'd rather not lose something important packing up.

cmoulder
03-14-2021, 07:11
This a big reason I prefer the lid pocket. It keeps packing order similar across multiple packs. When I had a pack without one, I felt like I was driving a different car. It's adaptable but I'd rather not lose something important packing up.

My packs are all no-lid, so I have that same continuity across multiple packs. I think that's what counts... having a repeatable system and applying it the same each time, using the sub-system approach for shelter/sleep, cooking, clothing, etc. I can honestly say I haven't used a written checklist in more than 10 years and have forgotten only one non-critical item (a 3-ft Amsteel dogbone for hammock suspension) in all that time. The packing system IS the checklist.

theweightisagift
03-31-2021, 20:12
Is this what white laze has turned into?

smithjv
04-14-2021, 10:19
Amen brother to that. It is all about gear management!