PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Hammock Questions

pixpusher
03-24-2006, 15:53
I have a HH Explorer Ultralight, also just purchased the larger HEX sil-nylon tarp. I'm wondering if the HEX tarp offers more tie-outs besides the 2 on the ridgeline, and the 2 on the sides (like the stock tarp)? Wouldn't it have a total of 6 (including the ridgeline) since it's hex-shaped? I want to keep the tarp pitched as tightly as possible, does this mean I need to have 4 tarp tensioners on the sides? Or will just 2 do somehow?

Do the tarp tensioners get attached to the ridgeline? Or the sides? Or both? Is there some place I could go on the web to read-up on how to use the tarp-tensioners?

When I go to set these up, would they get stretched out to the max -- then staked into the ground? Or would that defeat the purpose somehow?

I see that I can purchase these from Jacks-R-Better, although since I already have a sling-shot and some old surgical tubing from a PUR hiker, I'm wondering if I could just make my own? I think I've seen some info on this someplace around here... I just haven't been able to find it again... Anybody have some DIY instructions bookmarked?

Will the ridgeline tarp attachments (shock-cords w/prusik knots) serve as drip-strings by themselves? Or would cotton shoe-laces work better? I'm curious if the shock-cord would work as well since it probably wouldn't absorb any water? I figured plain-old cotton shoe-laces would work better? Would I even need to worry about drip-strings since I have the larger HEX tarp coming? Wouldn't the new HEX tarp offer more-than-enuff coverage? Making those drip-strings a non-issue?

From what I've read here on WhiteBlaze, some people like the foot end of the hammock higher than the head portion... I have also heard some people can get their setup completely level -- and laying side-ways (Brazillian?) isn't an issue for them (honestly I haven't figured out how to lay side-ways and completely LEVEL.) I have also heard of some people attaching line-levels to their ridge-line, and/or marking the ropes coming out of either end of the hammock (I guess to assist in getting things level countinously?) Are both of these something I should consider? Does Home Depot sell the line-levels? Is there a certain one to look for? If/when marking the ropes, would bright nail-polish work? I think I read about someone using paper white-out? Wouldn't that come off easily? Any ideas here?

I have a mini photon LED light with a switch attached to the inner ridge-line cordage... Would this also be a good place to hang my mini J-Win AM/FM radio? Normally I've used beer/soda cans/tin-foil to improve the reception, but now I'm thinking I might be able to crack open my radio, de-solder the antenna, then attach a long copper braided wire... I could suspend the radio from the ridge-line, then wrap the wire around it too? I dunno, just some thoughts... I like to fall-asleep to soothing classical or jazz/blues music... I keep the volume low while _stealth_ camping...

Another item I purchased is the SuperShelter system w/OverCover. I bought it thinking I could stuff my WM Meltdown jacket underneath me to stay warmer vs. buying an underquilt... Has anyone out there tried something like this?

Okay... I better lay-off the questions now.

Thanks for reading.

Just Jeff
03-24-2006, 16:43
Whoa, killer! Glad you're excited! Some ideas...

The hex has six tie-outs. IMO, it'll probably work best if you put 4 tensioners on the side tie-outs, and tie the ridgeline directly to the tree. Let the tarp connectors that come with the HH hang down as drip strings - they're actually rope rather than shockcord, and seem to work fine for me. Or could could use a shoestring and save some fraction of an ounce by removing the plastic tarp hooks. But I hang stuff sacks on those hooks.

Two tensioners will help, but you'll be able to tell a difference on which corners have them based on the wrinkles on the tarp in the morning.

If you have pretty heavy tubing, you can put them on the ridgeline, too.

I don't stretch mine to the max...probably about 80% of max. That way, the tubing absorbs wind gusts instead of letting the tarp take the full force. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, though.

DIY instructions here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner2.html

In a hammock, the heaviest part sinks to the lowest part of the hammock. For men, this means our chests try to slide to the middle, which pushes our feet into the foot end and leaves a big space near the head. Hanging the foot end a few inches higher keeps us from sliding down so far.

It's just personal preference. Some folks are happier with a perfectly level hammock, and a level helps them get a consistent hang every time. HYOH...I personally don't bother with it, but as long as they're comfortable who am I to judge?

You can use two different colors of drip strings to mark the foot and head ends. Or any paint that wouldn't wear away - nail polish would probably work for a while before flaking off...dunno, haven't used it.

Never hung a radio up there, but the HH has mesh pockets on the ridgeline the would hold a small radio. You're on your own with the antenna - I've never heard of anyone doing that in a hammock! Sounds like a workable idea, though.

The HH undercover is not breathable - under some conditions, you might get some condensation in your down jacket if you put it in there. I think Jack from JRB said the HH undercover compressed his underquilt when he added the HH undercover...might also compress your jacket. It's certainly worth testing, though.

No need to lay off the questions - WB and the Yahoo group are the two best hammock camping sites on the internet. This is the place to ask!

Jeff

Seeker
03-24-2006, 18:41
Pixpusher,

you poor B#$7#&D... syracuse? i'm from there... god, what miserable weather... it'll be august before you get a chance to hang that hammock... i'm sorry...

just kidding... great place if you love snow and good food... i do miss the adirondacks a bit...

keep posting. we'll answer...

peter_pan
03-24-2006, 20:29
Welcome to the hanging crowd...go try your stuff...see what works and what need adjustment in your opinion.... search the archive or ask away...lots of good answer around here.

Pan

neo
03-25-2006, 13:28
I have a HH Explorer Ultralight, also just purchased the larger HEX sil-nylon tarp. I'm wondering if the HEX tarp offers more tie-outs besides the 2 on the ridgeline, and the 2 on the sides (like the stock tarp)? Wouldn't it have a total of 6 (including the ridgeline) since it's hex-shaped? I want to keep the tarp pitched as tightly as possible, does this mean I need to have 4 tarp tensioners on the sides? Or will just 2 do somehow?

Do the tarp tensioners get attached to the ridgeline? Or the sides? Or both? Is there some place I could go on the web to read-up on how to use the tarp-tensioners?

When I go to set these up, would they get stretched out to the max -- then staked into the ground? Or would that defeat the purpose somehow?

I see that I can purchase these from Jacks-R-Better, although since I already have a sling-shot and some old surgical tubing from a PUR hiker, I'm wondering if I could just make my own? I think I've seen some info on this someplace around here... I just haven't been able to find it again... Anybody have some DIY instructions bookmarked?

Will the ridgeline tarp attachments (shock-cords w/prusik knots) serve as drip-strings by themselves? Or would cotton shoe-laces work better? I'm curious if the shock-cord would work as well since it probably wouldn't absorb any water? I figured plain-old cotton shoe-laces would work better? Would I even need to worry about drip-strings since I have the larger HEX tarp coming? Wouldn't the new HEX tarp offer more-than-enuff coverage? Making those drip-strings a non-issue?

From what I've read here on WhiteBlaze, some people like the foot end of the hammock higher than the head portion... I have also heard some people can get their setup completely level -- and laying side-ways (Brazillian?) isn't an issue for them (honestly I haven't figured out how to lay side-ways and completely LEVEL.) I have also heard of some people attaching line-levels to their ridge-line, and/or marking the ropes coming out of either end of the hammock (I guess to assist in getting things level countinously?) Are both of these something I should consider? Does Home Depot sell the line-levels? Is there a certain one to look for? If/when marking the ropes, would bright nail-polish work? I think I read about someone using paper white-out? Wouldn't that come off easily? Any ideas here?

I have a mini photon LED light with a switch attached to the inner ridge-line cordage... Would this also be a good place to hang my mini J-Win AM/FM radio? Normally I've used beer/soda cans/tin-foil to improve the reception, but now I'm thinking I might be able to crack open my radio, de-solder the antenna, then attach a long copper braided wire... I could suspend the radio from the ridge-line, then wrap the wire around it too? I dunno, just some thoughts... I like to fall-asleep to soothing classical or jazz/blues music... I keep the volume low while _stealth_ camping...

Another item I purchased is the SuperShelter system w/OverCover. I bought it thinking I could stuff my WM Meltdown jacket underneath me to stay warmer vs. buying an underquilt... Has anyone out there tried something like this?

Okay... I better lay-off the questions now.

Thanks for reading.

my wife use,s the sinylon hex with her hammock and she loves it
:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9409&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7870&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7868&catid=member&imageuser=3462

River Runner
03-27-2006, 00:38
I've used my Ray-Way quilt underneath the underpad of the Super Shelter and it didn't seem compressed. It sure helped keep me warm.