PDA

View Full Version : ReSupply Poll

doobe01
03-25-2006, 16:17
Just cusious as to what strategy everyone will be using to resupply.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2006, 16:26
Town to town only.

sdoownek
03-25-2006, 16:32
I have something called "celiac sprue", which basically means that I can't eat wheat. No bread, no flour, no Liptons meals, no ramen, or anything else made from wheat. (there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic premise)

Anyhow, with this weirdass food allergy, it can get pretty difficult to remain healthy by just resupplying in town. If I didn't have the allergy, I would resupply just in towns. Maildrops are a pain in the arse.

mambo_tango
03-26-2006, 01:28
If I couldn't eat wheat I think I would rather die! I am already allergic to other stupid things like nuts and chicken. Yes. Chicken. Don't ask.

Almost There
03-26-2006, 01:46
Chicken...Ha!!! Aw hell...I'm allergic to fish!

The General
03-26-2006, 08:49
I used Mail drops for my 2004 Thru Hike, I will be hiking again in 2007 and may use town to town predominately with one or two MD's. but found the drops worked well last time just fancy a change.

Doctari
03-26-2006, 09:38
I voted Mail Drops & Town, but plan on doing mostly town resupply. I have a few "strategic" mail drops, like Fontana Damn.

And, I probably have more mail drops than I truely need, but what is in the drops (food wise) I can't get on the trail, the idea being in case I get bored with Ramen, Mac n Cheese & Lipton.

Doctari

mrmike48/4000
03-26-2006, 10:01
if i was to do a lenghty thruhike i would go the route of town to town supply. it seems there would be less prep with this method... im a person who likes to do things on the fly so maildrops to me could become to routine because over time your needs change along with those taste buds.. i would still have strategic drops just to be safe, maybe 5....i have done 1 week to 2 week hikes and the resupply on the fly works well for these type hikes so i belive it will work well on a thruhike.....Ga to fontana 03-05, nitewalker

Footslogger
03-26-2006, 12:27
There are a few places where you are better served with a food drop. There are 3 that come to mind:

Harpers Ferry, WV
Bear Mountain, NY
Glencliff, NH

Other than those areas you can easily re-supply in town.

'Slogger

sdoownek
03-26-2006, 15:23
If I couldn't eat wheat I think I would rather die! I am already allergic to other stupid things like nuts and chicken. Yes. Chicken. Don't ask.

Wanna know what's even worse? I'm not supposed to drink beer, either. There are some things about a diet that are designed to be broken, however. Me not having beer is one of them.

I know you said, "Don't ask", but ***? How is sombody allergic to chicken? Does that mean you can't eat all the other stuff that people say "tastes just like chicken" too?

mambo_tango
03-27-2006, 15:14
I know you said, "Don't ask", but ***? How is sombody allergic to chicken? Does that mean you can't eat all the other stuff that people say "tastes just like chicken" too?

I just can't eat poultry meat. Messes with my upper digestive system for some strange reason. I have been that way ever since I was really little. I can eat chicken flavored stuff though (which I do because I love the taste of chicken).

Sly
03-27-2006, 15:54
I can eat chicken flavored stuff though (which I do because I love the taste of chicken).

You'll be all set then. Chicken flavored Lipton's and Ramen is the food of choice for most thru-hikers and the most readily available.

corentin
03-28-2006, 22:42
Mambo has eaten my cooking and lived....believe me when I say she has a cast iron stomach. She did say she won't be eating her ramen raw though....wimp

mambo_tango
03-28-2006, 22:51
wimp huh? miss I like to sleep with a inflatable matteress when I go camping!

corentin
03-28-2006, 23:11
Hey, did that not come in handy when our tent flooded...I did not see you complaining then.....

mindi
04-05-2006, 23:10
I have a very touchy stomach as well...nearly everything I eat makes me sick. (I'm supposed to get some tests done, but they're expensive and I'm chicken.) I'm going to do mostly town-to-town with a few maildrops where there's a long distance between resupply. Chances are the stuff I would mail myself will make me just as sick as the stuff I buy at the store. The few maildrops I have, I'll just throw in some extra Imodium..lol..
Mindi

onicoe
04-07-2006, 11:09
town to town seems to be my strategy at this point. i know the first thing i did when i got my databook was to go through and highlight all the listings for resupply spots that were close to the trail. i don't plan on doing maildrops at all.

fiddlehead
04-07-2006, 22:10
The original poll talks about bugs.
I am not into eating bugs but now that i'm living in Thailand, i find that some bugs are very nutritious and eaten by the people from northeast thailand (Isaan). That's where my girlfriend is from so when we come up here once or twice a year for a visit, i find that bugs are often eaten along with the uncooked beef, pork, and guts that are all considered delicacies. I'm trying more and more of these things every year.
I had Rainman eating a grasshopper within one hour of his landing in Bangkok 2 years ago when he visited.
Beetles and ants seem to be the most favorite. I have a hard time eating the cockroach looking ones or the scorpions but they (scorpions) are even more of a delicacy.
Often i see people chopping into rotten wood and on closer inspection, found out that they are after the slugs or worms inside as they are very nutritious also.
Some of the above mentioned bugs and worms are cooked but many eaten raw. With the ants, they pull off the head and eat the back, alive!
Try them sometime, you might enjoy them and find a great source of nutrition and protein.

Lilred
04-08-2006, 09:28
There are a few places where you are better served with a food drop. There are 3 that come to mind:

Harpers Ferry, WV
Bear Mountain, NY
Glencliff, NH

Other than those areas you can easily re-supply in town.

'Slogger

I'd recommend one at NOC too. Save a hitch to Bryson City. NOC's stuff is way too overpriced.

mweinstone
06-02-2006, 21:56
just town.i like being at the mercy of town.mail drops are too easy.there like poles.not for me.

fiddlehead
06-03-2006, 04:35
The option to vote for all was not given. Bugs are very nutritious.

Nean
06-03-2006, 06:46
I've et my share of bugs, skeeters and gnats mostly. Them little suckers get a little to close to whats cookin and the next thing ya knows, they're simmerin seasoning. I might of had a grasshopper or cricket, not sure.... something crunchy :eek: :D

Lone Wolf
06-03-2006, 06:48
Every time I ride my Harley I eat bugs.

Heater
06-03-2006, 07:24
Every time I ride my Harley I eat bugs.

Lots of bugs being eaten this weekend in Austin.

"The 12th annual Republic of Texas Biker Rally -- which stands to attract more than 200,000 bikers and enthusiasts -- descends on Austin Thursday through Sunday."

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2006/05/29/daily19.html

http://www.rotrally.com/

Here's some pics from last years ROT biker rally.

http://www.rotrally.com/Pages/Public/Media.asp

:cool:

wilderness bob
06-03-2006, 09:42
One thing not mentioned in regards to the resupply plans I skimmed over, that is the fact that there are plenty of diners, restaurants and the like along the way (if you are in to that sort of thing, HYOH). Resupply when needed of course however, there are many places to pick up a cheap meal along the way. This makes the food you pack out last longer. Besides finding out from the "trail talk" where these places are, most of them are located in the hiker companion. (I recall hanging out in an air conditioned KFC for a few hours when the temps reached 100 degrees and the humidity percentage was near that as well).

I too used a few mail drops and even bounced a box or two. The only "fly's in my ointment" when doing so was one, the post office hours. It seemed the timing for getting the MD was off time and time again and two, what was in my personal mail drops was always way off in respect to what I really wanted. Solution? If you have the support back home, have everything set up in bulk form and call ahead for specific items. Have the real expensive stuff ready to be put in a MD box along with those hard to find in small quantity things (coffee, sugar and the like). This bulk system resupply worked well for equipment too.

Plan your hike, hike your plan and adapt. Peace, WB

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 23:56
Just a question... price-wise, which is more cost-effective?

wilderness bob
06-07-2006, 08:01
Cost effective? Hard to say for sure, too many variables. Yes you can buy a jumbo box of oatmeal packets for example however, by the time you pay for shipping each in say "five day resupply boxes", the cost can compare to what you pay for on the trail. The problem was that on the trail it was rare to find individual packets being sold (and they were expensive when sold that way). Normally you bought a box of twelve "what-ever", took what you needed and put the rest in the local hiker box. That too is a good suggestion, check the hiker boxes before you shop, trail magic can be found there. Mail drop boxes of equipment can be a great way to save money. Bulk packets of socks for example, those broken down into mail drop boxes can save you money. The cost of equipment on the trail is expensive. If you think you may need it, plan on either mailing it ahead or have it sent to you when called for (if possible). Good luck WB

Spock
06-09-2006, 17:56
Done it both ways. Ended up town only except for odd places where resupply is a hassel. Will use town only in 07 with those noted exceptions.

Logic? Mail takes too much time and needs change. Post office hours are not always simpatico. It takes little time to sit outside a grocery store and repackage a few days of food. On the other hand, arriving at the PO after the Sat. closing means waiting until Monday (if it isn't a holiday) to get back on the trail.

fiddlehead
06-14-2006, 01:14
Just a question... price-wise, which is more cost-effective?

Definitely Bugs!