PDA

View Full Version : Things you Think About on the Trail

Downunda
03-26-2006, 02:14
One of the things that surprised me when I hiked the AT in 2002 was that I spent a lot of time thinking about my past life. Specifically though I spent a lot of time thinking back to the start of my working life (I'm now retired) and every job I've had (13 employers in 48 years) and chronologically tried to remember every person that I had worked with. I also did the same thing for the kids in my class at grade school.

Is that weird or what? What weird things did you think about on your thru?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2006, 08:04
Food, beer, sex, motels, buffets and George W. Bush.

Sly
03-26-2006, 08:16
Food, beer, sex, motels, buffets and when are they going to impeach George W. Bush. ;)

neo
03-26-2006, 09:59
Food, beer, sex, motels, buffets and George W. Bush.

:D what about hillary clinton,the ultimate babe:cool: neo

crutch
03-26-2006, 10:17
Who keep painting all those white marks on the trees?

Grampie
03-26-2006, 11:18
It's true, you spend a lot of time thinking about food. Especialy when you plan to go into the next town.
During a thru-hike you have plenty of time to think about everything that has been part of your life. One day I would pick one of my children and think about all I could remember of their early life. The next time I would do the same with another. Just bringing back memories of the past.
I would think about turning points in my life, and emagine what would of happened if I had made a different decision, than the one I made.
I also hiked with others who were at a turning point in their lives. I advised them to take the time and weigh everything and than make a decision. We seldom have this kind of time in the real world.
When it became apparent that I would complete the trail, I thought of different ways to celebrate what I had accomplished and how I could include my friends and family.
My point is; You have plenty of time to think, while hiking. Use the time to better your future. I did.:) :)

sdoownek
03-26-2006, 14:57
"Ow, that hurts",
"Damn, I'm hot",
"If the river were whiskey, and I were a duck........"
"Damn, I'm cold",
"Damn, I'm hungry",
"ow, that really hurts",
"without gravity, there are several theories that would work as a Theory Of Everything",
"Is that annoying chick going to be at this shelter",
"I'm hungry".
"Do I like who I am in the real world? Why or why not?",
"What about the materialistic world do I hate so much?"
"I hate rain."
"Why did I leave a well paying job to live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere?"
"Rain is good for a showerish type thing"

Kerosene
03-26-2006, 16:59
What sdoownek said, although I tend to be even less philosophical.

neo
03-27-2006, 02:39
i just cant wait to get back on the trail:cool: neo

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 06:25
neo responded:
i just cant wait to get back on the trail neo

some of us can't wait for you to get back on the trail either:D

BlackCloud
03-27-2006, 08:21
What am I doing out here when I could be home on the couch.....:-?

Footslogger
03-27-2006, 10:35
Like Downunda ...I found myself spending lots of time thinking about the past. I think the main reason for that is on the trail there are no distractions (provided you're hiking alone) and your mind has a chance to relax and flow freely. The second most common place I went in my mind was to how fortunate I was to have the opportunity to stop the world and get off for 6 months. Third and maybe the most important in terms my life after the trail, was that I was able to see my current life more clearly and make decisions about what I like and dislike. One product of that thought process was that I would never go back to the type of work I did prior to my hike.

'Slogger

neo
03-27-2006, 10:50
:D how about how sexy hillary clinton is:cool: neo

D'Artagnan
03-27-2006, 15:47
"Wonder how much I could sell my house for?"

And the follow-up, "How long could I hike off that amount?"

D'Artagnan
03-27-2006, 15:49
What weird things did you think about on your thru?

Oops! Didn't read close enough...I haven't done a thru yet. Sorry. Didn't want to give the wrong impression. Carry on.

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 18:39
the wierd stuff is kind of personal and I save most of it for nightime when I'm in my tent.

Speaking of wierd...where is BlueJay...out on the Trail?

Downunda
03-28-2006, 02:39
Footslogger, although not retired at the time when I was on the trail I made the decision that I wouldn't return to the corporate world ( I was an IT Project Manager).
Whilst hiking I could clearly see the issues of working in the rat race for what they were:- Long commutes, traffic jams, office politics, unrealistic deadlines, lack of resources, never ending BS, cowtowing to difficult customers. Need I go on?

After I returned from the trail I worked with my wife in her mail order business for 2 years then we both retired. I certainly missed and still miss the mateship from people at work but none of the other stuff.

'06 hikers, enjoy your break from the rat race!

Footslogger
03-28-2006, 10:19
[quote=Downunda]Footslogger, although not retired at the time when I was on the trail I made the decision that I wouldn't return to the corporate world ( I was an IT Project Manager).
===================================
Pretty ironic. We were in the same industry before our hikes and likely shared a lot of the same madness. I was a senior software analyst for a big medical IT firm. We had moved from Atlanta to Wyoming so my wife could begin teaching at the university and the company let me go "remote". I thought that might make a difference and for a while it did. But after about 6 months of sitting at home in my underwear staring at a computer screen and answering phone calls about every 15 minutes I pulled the plug. Like you, I miss the comradere I had there but not the insanity. I still keep in touch with many of those old co-workers and smile quietly as they tell me their tales of woe.

Not quite ready to retire yet but planning to jump ship again in 3 - 4 years, when my wife and I are planning to re-hike the AT ...but this time together.

All the best ...

'Slogger