PDA

View Full Version : HIKE Nekkid!!!

Almost There
03-26-2006, 03:07
Curiosity...how many of you plan on hiking nekkid on June 21st, "Hike Nekkid Day". Sort of being funny, and sorta really curious as to how many actually do this.

Shiraz-mataz
03-26-2006, 08:34
Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it. If I were on the trail that day and saw even an inkling of acceptance amongst fellow hikers for airing out their "naughty bits" then I would have to give it some consideration, if for no other reason than to say I'd done it. Add that to the list of off-beat things I've experienced in life. But I am a realist and know that odds are there are people who would be offended (or even afraid) if they came across a naked person while hiking. That could only lead to a cement "shelter" with iron bars! So I answered #2 - only for a short time (a mile or two) with a cover at the ready.

I would definitely be hiking shirtless though and that makes me wonder about the women in this group. Do you feel there is a double-standard against women in that they are usually required to cover up their tops? I would think that a group of nature-lovers would be the first ones to enjoy the warm sun on their skin, regardless of gender.

hikerjohnd
03-26-2006, 09:50
Well, I voted no, but not because of the bugs. I would hate to scare the other hikers off the trail!

Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it.

Last June I met 4 hikers (2 together, and 2 hiking individually) hiking naked. I thought it was a joke too, but evidently not!

Skyline
03-26-2006, 09:59
Naughty bits?

That's funnier than some of the sights I've seen over the years on 6/21.

Belew
03-26-2006, 10:24
Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it.

Last year on the summer solstice we saw eight thru hikers and a LOT of all but one of them. I told one guy with nothing but a sombrero around waste abound a group of kids and counselors camping up the hill. He ran by so fast, I don't think they ever saw him.

Rain Man
03-26-2006, 20:44
These Yahoo Groups seem to prove it's for real. Enjoy! LOL

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturist_hikers/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturists-outdoors/

I read a lot of old hiking reports. Have read Ed Garvey's book and now am reading the Volumes of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail." Lots of these hikers report skinny dipping, bathing au natural, and hiking or running into "naturist" hikers/groups.

Rain:sunMan

kittyrock13
03-26-2006, 21:27
" Do you feel there is a double-standard against women in that they are usually required to cover up their tops? "

Not a double standard... im all for lettin the girls feel the sun. But when males come into the equation, ive got to cover 'em up. Its just too akward. Hiking nekkid, huh? Sounds like fun. But I dont know if id go for it. Not hiking. Maybe on naked day ill sun nude... but walking about seems a little uncomfortable on the cookie, if you know what i mean.

mindi
04-08-2006, 01:31
I go for keeping something nearby to cover up with...I did a naked hike in a swamp a while back and it was great fun! I'll definitely be out there in the buff on the 21st if I remember..so watch out!
As for the double standard, I sure wish I could hike topless all the time when it was warm outside.
:) Mindi

Lone Wolf
04-08-2006, 05:23
All chicks should hike naked all the time. Well not all. Some views get old.

Needles
04-09-2006, 00:42
I've hiked naked a few times, but I don't know that the AT is the place for it. Too many people could get freaked out, and if you are hiking naked just so you can freak people out, well trust me, there are better ways to do it.
I did spend a week in the Cherokee National Forest near the AT last year, naked almost the entire time, but I didn't see anyone else the entire week except for the person I was hiking with, and since he was naked too I don't really think he cared.

SGTdirtman
04-09-2006, 01:04
thank god I'm not leaving untill the 23rd... If i see you walking down the trail naked I'll be throwing rocks at you. :rolleyes:

RITBlake
04-09-2006, 01:16
Didnt see anybody hiking naked on our thru. However we were still in Maine in June so the skeeters and black flies were still very bad.

Blue Jay
04-09-2006, 09:54
thank god I'm not leaving untill the 23rd... If i see you walking down the trail naked I'll be throwing rocks at you. :rolleyes:

Since you smell Like New Jersey are you sure you should be throwing rocks at anyone. You may want to take the glass house route.

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 10:11
Since you smell Like New Jersey are you sure you should be throwing rocks at anyone. You may want to take the glass house route.

We need more info here. Does he smell like Secaucus or Sussex? Cape May or Kearney? Toms River or Trenton? Barnegat or Elizabeth? Are we talkin' low tide here? Some of us know the difference. ;)

vipahman
04-09-2006, 11:21
Now there's a good use for that cellphone. I'll be calling the cops if I see any naked guys/girls on the trail. I'll be with my 4-year old and sure don't want him exposed to this crap. Why destroy a perfectly good day with something juvenile and stupid like "Hike Nekkid Day"? :eek: I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity. :mad:

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 11:25
I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity. :mad:

While I'm not advocating Hike Naked Day, there is a BIG difference between nudity & sexuality. Unfortunately, that distinction is lost on most Americans.

And if you want to avoid any chance of your 4 year old being exposed to naked people, don't take him/her hiking on the Summer Solstice.

PolarFox
04-09-2006, 23:35
I'm trying to think of a hiking equivelant to "Rock Out With Your Cock Out!"
Damn straight MOWGLI.

hammock engineer
04-09-2006, 23:46
And if you want to avoid any chance of your 4 year old being exposed to naked people, don't take him/her hiking on the Summer Solstice.

I have to agree. That ranks up there with taking your kids to a movie/play that you know contains bad langauge, then being upset that your kids heard it.

Sometimes common sense needs to be used.

ATSeamstress
04-09-2006, 23:54
Modesty is the best policy.

Rain Man
04-10-2006, 11:30
Now there's a good use for that cellphone. I'll be calling the cops if I see any naked guys/girls on the trail. I'll be with my 4-year old and sure don't want him exposed to this crap. Why destroy a perfectly good day with something juvenile and stupid like "Hike Nekkid Day"? :eek: I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity. :mad:

Who said ANYTHING about sex??? You warping that 4-year-old's mind with your fixation on s-e-x?
:dance

Disney
04-11-2006, 17:10
I've got a great picture of me at beauty spot in a loincloth. I just love it. No one else seems to though. I'd post it here but...pretty sure it would get taken down.

MOWGLI
04-11-2006, 17:21
I've got a great picture of me at beauty spot in a loincloth. I just love it. No one else seems to though.

That's called a hint. ;)

mambo_tango
04-11-2006, 18:41
It depends on how fat you are. Fat guys in loin clothes = bleh. Otherwise go for it :D.

Skidsteer
04-11-2006, 18:59
It depends on how fat you are. Fat guys in loin clothes = bleh. Otherwise go for it :D.

http://mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students/sumo/Pictures/bigK.jpg

You no like?:D

mambo_tango
04-11-2006, 20:31
http://mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students/sumo/Pictures/bigK.jpg

You no like?:D

ummmm no. :eek: He has leg wrinkles....

saimyoji
04-11-2006, 20:50
Who said ANYTHING about sex??? You warping that 4-year-old's mind with your fixation on s-e-x?
:dance

Another way of saying this might be: try teaching your child about the beauty of nature, including the human form. 4 yr olds aren't hung up on nudity the way you seem to be (vpman, not RM). If you plant that seed now, you're teaching your child to be prude, offended by nudity, and ashamed of themself.

Skidsteer
04-11-2006, 20:50
ummmm no. :eek: He has leg wrinkles....

:D That's putting it very politely.

TreeYaya
04-11-2006, 21:35
Nudity doesn't equal sex!

YaY being nekkid!

--The Yaya

mambo_tango
04-11-2006, 23:02
If you plant that seed now, you're teaching your child to be prude, offended by nudity, and ashamed of themself.

So are you calling me a prude because I am modest? I am not ashamed of myself but.....I am not going to go around flaunting the fact. I think what I have is boundries not prudishness.

Disney
04-12-2006, 00:11
That's called a hint. ;)

HAHA Could have something to do with the fact that law students are kind of a different breed than hikers. Not fat though, that was after 4 months of hiking. Ask miss Janet, she snapped the pic. :D

MOWGLI
04-12-2006, 07:03
HAHA Could have something to do with the fact that law students are kind of a different breed than hikers. Not fat though, that was after 4 months of hiking. Ask miss Janet, she snapped the pic. :D

I'm just busting your chops, Now if I posted a photo of myself in a loincloth.... That would be a crime.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2006, 07:04
Nudity doesn't equal sex!

YaY being nekkid!

--The Yaya
Obviously you ain't got a penis.

Gray Blazer
04-12-2006, 07:42
Isn't there enough scenery on the trail already? I know a lot of people miss the point. The AT wasn't meant for thru-hikers to display their egos (and other things obviously). BTW, did I ever mention about running into the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team at Tray Mountain?:rolleyes:

Disney
04-12-2006, 14:52
BTW, did I ever mention about running into the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team at Tray Mountain?:rolleyes:

No, but let's here more about that.

OldStormcrow
05-04-2006, 14:24
Unfortunately, most Americans seem to equate nudity with sex. My saying on that is "you can be nude without having sex, and you can have sex without being nude!" I have a 12 year old daughter who hikes with me who can appreciate the beauty/humor of the human body, whether in an art museum or on the trail. If you are aware of this tradition and are uncomfortable with it, take yourself and your youngster to a movie.....although most of the ones being offered today I would find to be much more shocking and "obscene" than the human body!

AT_all_the_way!
06-14-2006, 13:00
Well put OldStormcrow. I've hiked 'au natural' before, usually with my husband and group of like minded friends (both male and female) and have found it very liberating. There is nothing sexual, voyeristic, or exhibistionist about hiking nude. It is all about being out in nature with out any of the hang ups from the outside world. Removing the clothes helps one disconnect for but brief moment all your worries from daily life (work, coomute, kids, housework, etc.). If my husband and friends are up for it, we will be out there.

corentin
06-14-2006, 13:03
Bugs need to eat too.

OldStormcrow
07-11-2006, 08:41
Update: Hiked nude for three days in the National Forest to celebrate my birthday and the Solstice. Went swimming in an excellent river, and didn't see a soul for those three days. Schweeeet!

Rain Man
07-11-2006, 10:29
Update: Hiked nude for three days in the National Forest to celebrate my birthday and the Solstice. Went swimming in an excellent river, and didn't see a soul for those three days. Schweeeet!

Good for you, OldStormcrow! That even sounds like it'd be fun "textile." Three days in the wild with nary a person seen the whole time.

frieden
07-11-2006, 11:02

I would love to be able to relax like that! A lot of Americans, myself included, were raised to connect nude with sex, and that all of it is bad. I know about the spiritual Summer Solstice, the celebration of life, and understand how out of balance I am. Please, don't raise your kids to be ashamed of themselves. It is possible to give them the lessons of respect for others, without making them feel ashamed to exist. Most parents are probably just scared about getting a call from the school. Our society is seriously messed up on this, so I understand a parent's fear. My kids were almost taken away from me, because my 7 yr old walked in on my husband and I having sex. Yep, my husband, and we were under the sheets. We thought the kids were asleep, and had the bedroom door shut, but forgot to lock it. He told someone at school, and they reported it. We had to get an attorney, go to court, sessions with child & family services, the works. It was scary. What are we teaching our kids? Even intamacy with your spouse is bad?

I'm trying to learn from Ed. He hikes without clothes all the time! :eek: LOL!

If I see anyone hiking in the buff, I won't be offended.....I might laugh, but I won't be offended. If I was hiking with my daughter, I would just turn to her and say, "See, this is why you don't want to date fat guys....itty bitty...." Hahaha! J/K

gumby
07-16-2006, 14:07
Hiking nekkid is an part of the AT, just like mooning the Cog railway on Mt Washington. People need to lighten up, and laugh a bit more. This way we'd have a lot less stress.

I lived in Berlin Germany about 20 years ago, the Berliners would take their lunch breaks in city parks by stripping down nekkid (in the summer of course, don't want frostbite) and relax. When it was time to go back to work they just got up and got dressed, no big deal.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the AT, if so then it will be in a kilt and nekkid on the solstice.:banana

tazie
06-24-2008, 09:56
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=76668

In our local paper this morning. I had no idea the first day of summer is always naked hiking day. The funniest part is the comments section...

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 09:58
it's never hot babes.

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 10:02
Wolf's comment was pretty funny.

And needless to say, it was also quite true.

There's a direct correlation between those people who feel the need to get publicly naked on the Trail.....and those who should absolutely NOT do so, ever.

Glad I was in Harpers on the 21st!

jesse
06-24-2008, 10:08
eight men between 40 and 60. sorry I glad I missed it. :) Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy, doing the "I believe" segment on Blue Collar Comedy.
"I believe before a woman wears a thong in public, she should have to get a permit"

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 10:13
eight men between 40 and 60. sorry I glad I missed it. :) Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy, doing the "I believe" segment on Blue Collar Comedy.
"I believe before a woman wears a thong in public, she should have to get a permit"

they must be a local chapter of "odd fellows"

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 10:21
Here's a fun one, Wolf.....just what do you suppose is the political affiliation of most of these people? :D

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 10:26
Here's a fun one, Wolf.....just what do you suppose is the political affiliation of most of these people? :D

whatever tater's is

Yahtzee
06-24-2008, 12:00
Just a few real world experiences to add a bit to this mostly value-based discussion. I hike naked with a fair amount of frequency. I have never, not once, been exposed to people. I keep a pair of shorts within reach and have never failed to hear hikers coming in the opposite direction. Almost everytime I am able to put the shorts on before they come upon me. In the few instances when I did not have the time to put the shorts on, I was able to cover up my goods. If someone turns around to look and see if I am naked, that is on them if they see my ass.

No one has ever caught up to me and seen me from behind. That is usually because I am aware of who is behind me and their timetable for leaving. And, normally, dayhikers heading in the same direction as me don't hike as fast as me, tho I don't really hike all that fast.

Anyway, this seems a good discussion where we all get to state our opinions to let everyone know exactly what our values are. But as an unapologetic itinerant nekkid hiker, it is my experience that done reasonably hiking naked causes less disturbance than cell-phone talkers, drinkers and smokers combined.

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 12:03

Nudity? Democrat or libertarian.

Wife swapping? Republican.

notorius tic
06-24-2008, 12:06
I was at Bears den last year an stuck out heading to Blackburn ATC an ran into 5 peps butt naked (no problem here) I was NAKED 2<:::::::::::::::;;;

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-24-2008, 12:10
This Dino is way overqualified for hiking nekked - that and the sight of a nekked Dino would scar you youngsters for life. :D

Bearpaw
06-24-2008, 12:21
You may think it's no big deal, but in many places it's definitely illegal, even when it really doesn't make all that much sense.

Case in point: "Semper Fi" Drew GAME '99 and PCT '00 hiked naked on the solstice on both those hikes. Then on his '01 hike of the CDT, he ran into a horseback Ianger, I believe on the southern Wyoming prairie, well away from anyone, and at such a distance that no one could tell for sure when they first saw him. But she cited him right there and he had to appear in Federal Circuit Court.

The irony of getting away with hiking naked on the AT and PCT, then getting busted on the relatively deserted CDT is just amazing.

bigmac_in
06-24-2008, 12:30
I was on the AT from Bly Gap to Deep Gap, NC on the 21st - no nekkid hikers, thankfully.

envirodiver
06-24-2008, 13:05
You may think it's no big deal, but in many places it's definitely illegal, even when it really doesn't make all that much sense.

Case in point: "Semper Fi" Drew GAME '99 and PCT '00 hiked naked on the solstice on both those hikes. Then on his '01 hike of the CDT, he ran into a horseback Ianger, I believe on the southern Wyoming prairie, well away from anyone, and at such a distance that no one could tell for sure when they first saw him. But she cited him right there and he had to appear in Federal Circuit Court.

The irony of getting away with hiking naked on the AT and PCT, then getting busted on the relatively deserted CDT is just amazing.

Did he say if the Ranger frisked him to ensure that he carried no concealed weapons?

kanga
06-24-2008, 13:06
nudity Doesn't Equal Sex!

Yay Being Nekkid!

--the Yaya

Yay Nekkid!!! Yay Nekkid Hiking Day!!!

envirodiver
06-24-2008, 13:23
Yeah naked and nekkid are both good. Naked is having no clothes on, nekkid is having no clothes on and being up to something.

I know that I would not want to hike naked on some of the trails that I have been on, way too many briars, and that could make for a very painful day.

WalkingStick75
06-24-2008, 13:37
I have hiked several times on 21 June but only twice, once when I was with my son who was about 12 at the time did we run accross any nude hikers, all guys of course. The other time I was with my wife and we hiked with a thru hiker for a while, she didn't complain at all. :)

Jesters Mom
06-24-2008, 14:12
Jester, Coyote and Huff-N-Puff hiked naked - well, with their packs, boots, gators and ice axes - for about an hour on the PCT on June 21st - through a snow field. Jester said they got some very unusual sunburn patterns.

Rain Man
06-24-2008, 14:19
The other time I was with my wife and we hiked with a thru hiker for a while, she didn't complain at all. :)

"She"? The wife or the thru hiker? :D

OutdoorsMan
06-24-2008, 14:32
I go for keeping something nearby to cover up with...I did a naked hike in a swamp a while back and it was great fun! I'll definitely be out there in the buff on the 21st if I remember..so watch out!
As for the double standard, I sure wish I could hike topless all the time when it was warm outside.
:) Mindi

Mindi,

Could you please post some pictures of yourself hiking naked so that we will know who you are when you come down the trail on the 21st and we can all say "Hi Mindi!"

envirodiver
06-24-2008, 14:35
Mindi,

Could you please post some pictures of yourself hiking naked so that we will know who you are when you come down the trail on the 21st and we can all say "Hi Mindi!"

Very true Outdoorsman. It's always nice to be able to call fellow Whiteblazers by name when you run into them on the trail.

Jim Adams
06-24-2008, 17:44
I'd rather see naked hikers on the trail than loose dogs!

geek

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 17:48
Mindi,

I vote with him :D

sheepdog
06-24-2008, 18:08
I'm not saying pro or con, but do some places call being naked sexual misconduct? I would hate to register as a sex offender for the rest of my life. Could it happen?

rafe
06-24-2008, 18:10
I'm not saying pro or con, but do some places call being naked sexual misconduct? I would hate to register as a sex offender for the rest of my life. Could it happen?

I'd guess that simple nudity is generally written down as "public indecency." But I'm hardly an expert.

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 18:47

It's possible, some "sex offenders" did nothing more than urinate in public.

Bearpaw88
06-24-2008, 19:02
I was planning to hike naked on the 21st but had to home...:(

So I sat around my apartment naked drinking...:)

Jason of the Woods
06-24-2008, 19:31
So are you calling me a prude because I am modest? I am not ashamed of myself but.....I am not going to go around flaunting the fact. I think what I have is boundries not prudishness.

I think that there is a fine line there. It's hard to say where to draw the line. I enjoy some naked woods time as much as the next person but you don't want a boyscout troop walking up on you. The other problem is you get idiots saying things like post some pics of you......:eek:

Rain Man
06-25-2008, 00:05
It's possible, some "sex offenders" did nothing more than urinate in public.

Yep. Sadly the sex offenders registries are somewhat of a joke because of over-zealous, overly self-righteous politicians and D.A.'s.

Is that sex offender neighbor of yours an actual dangerous deranged pervert or merely a member of the American Association for Nude Recreation and a member of the local Chamber of Commerce?

Or in some cases, simply a high school senior who just turned 18 and had sex after the prom with his 17-year-old date, who's father doesn't like him anyway?