PDA

View Full Version : Does fleece lose it's warmth?

illininagel
03-26-2006, 10:53
A few years ago, I bought a North Face fleece (Polartec) vest and some Patagonia fleece long underwear.

Over time, it seems like these items are losing their effectiveness. They don't seem to keep me nearly as warm as they did when they were newer.

Does fleece lose it's effectiveness over time?

orangebug
03-26-2006, 11:05
Well, it can lose fibers or compact by "pilling" - which ought to reduce insulation value to some degree. If you dry it on high heat, you will get further compaction.

Footslogger
03-26-2006, 12:24
Pretty sure it does. No scientific evidence to share but I do own several fleece jackets that don't seem to provide the same warmth as when they were new. My theory is that the fleece wears a bit thin in some areas due to pressure points and stretching. It then looses it's ability to trap body warmth.

Not a real issue for me though since I don't carry fleece on the trail any more anyway. If your fleece is failing you may want to consider one of the nylon outer/primaloft insulated shells. Warmer for the weight and seem to outlast any fleece I've ever owned.

'Slogger

sleepwalker
03-26-2006, 14:03
It happened to my year old Arc'teryx Delta jacket. It's got polartec thermal pro and it just seems to continue to ball up on the inside with every wash and I'm starting to feel the chill. I wrote Arc'teryx about it and they have invited me to send it in for repair(although I don't know what they are going to do about it). Good folks though...I'm sending in 3 items for repair and a refresh on the DWR finish on my shells. Maybe if I do it every year, I'll never need to buy new gore-tex pants and jackets!

sdoownek
03-26-2006, 14:34
a refresh on the DWR finish on my shells.

Just curious, but why don't you do this yourself with Revivex? Seems to me that it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to do that rather than sending it back in.

I've been using revivex on all my goretex drysuits for three or four years now, never fails to work. Brings them back up to what they were when they were new.

Kerosene
03-26-2006, 17:03
Or could be that your arteries are narrowing as you get older and you're not getting as much blood flow to your extremeties? Hmmm?

Footslogger
03-26-2006, 17:49
Or could be that your arteries are narrowing as you get older and you're not getting as much blood flow to your extremeties? Hmmm?
=============================
I'm sure that's a part of it in my case !!

'Slogger

sleepwalker
03-26-2006, 19:46
Just curious, but why don't you do this yourself with Revivex? Seems to me that it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to do that rather than sending it back in.

I've been using revivex on all my goretex drysuits for three or four years now, never fails to work. Brings them back up to what they were when they were new.

I've never tried revivex...in fact, I've never seen revivex. Generally I use Nikwax TX-Direct wash in and have been very unhappy and I've been told it's the best. Is revivex available at EMS? I'm willing to give it a shot.

By the way, I'm also sending the items in for minor repairs to zippers, cuffs, scuffs, etc...I wouldn't send it in for DWR alone. I was joking with the "send it in every year" bit.

jackiebolen
03-26-2006, 20:15
Yes. I have a mid-weight fleece that I bought about 5 years ago and I still wear it around town. On cool summer nights, I almost freeze. I'd never bring it into the forest anymore.

Aramis
03-26-2006, 20:56
Any bulky, non-knitted fabric like fleece, towelling, blankets etc will get flatter over time. They also lose the fluffy material through moulting, abrasion and from washing.

My oldest fleece is about 15 yeas old. It's gone from polartec 300 to about 100 :) In a few years it will be a shirt.

illininagel
03-26-2006, 21:01
My oldest fleece is about 15 yeas old. It's gone from polartec 300 to about 100 In a few years it will be a shirt.

LOL!

So, it's not just my polartec that is losing its warmth. I use these clothes for more than just hiking. When they were new, it was great for staying warm while golfing in the freezing Chicago winters. I would wear these clothes while sitting out in the cold weather for sporting events, as well.

What recommendations do you have for long underwear that would retain its warmth?

peter_pan
03-27-2006, 09:22
Pretty sure it does. No scientific evidence to share but I do own several fleece jackets that don't seem to provide the same warmth as when they were new. My theory is that the fleece wears a bit thin in some areas due to pressure points and stretching. It then looses it's ability to trap body warmth.

Not a real issue for me though since I don't carry fleece on the trail any more anyway. If your fleece is failing you may want to consider one of the nylon outer/primaloft insulated shells. Warmer for the weight and seem to outlast any fleece I've ever owned.

'Slogger

I agree with Slogger here....as an example a Montbell Thermawrap is warmer than a 200, possibly 300 weight fleece and weighs less than a 100 wgt fleece...My large size is 10.2 oz....

Have worn mine approximately 300-350 days in the last two years...zero loss of warmth...did have to repair two minor stitch openings on the very bottom edge where the seam rubs on my pants, each side the stitches wore about 1.5 inches...it took about 3 minutes to repair...

These type insulations are great in winter....they compress smaller than Fleece...

Warmer...better compression...wind resistent...breathable ( but not as well as fleece)...Lighter...just more costly....

Pan

Mags
03-27-2006, 12:23
As with others, no longer wear a fleece for backcountry use. Too heavy and bulky, even in winter.

I do have a Pattagucci fleece I wear around town. Well made and thick. Very warm. Will probably last a long time. I also paid $4 for it at the thrift store (no lie!).

Living in an outdoor focused college town, the thrift store often has many goodies for cheap when the students leave. A friend of mine just bought a 45 SPF shirt for $5 between semesters. You know..the kind that costs $50+ ?!?!?

Anyway, to get back on topic: I suspect most fleece will loose it's warmth if you use it hard/often. For around town use, most fleece will probably last a while.

If you are like many backpackers, you are transitioning away from fleece. I'm a big fan of lined windshirts. Light, warm, light rain/snow protection, windproof. I've worn one for....six years now? (Lose track!). Only piece of gear I wear all year round. Cross country skiing, snowshoeing, hiking..you name it.

The MontBell windshirt is $90 and weighs 10 oz for a men's large. Very versatile piece of gear! Is less expensive and lighter than the Marmot one I used to wear (that one finally wore out).

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 12:56
I've never tried revivex...in fact, I've never seen revivex. Generally I use Nikwax TX-Direct wash in and have been very unhappy and I've been told it's the best. Is revivex available at EMS? I'm willing to give it a shot.

By the way, I'm also sending the items in for minor repairs to zippers, cuffs, scuffs, etc...I wouldn't send it in for DWR alone. I was joking with the "send it in every year" bit.

Google "ems revivex" turned up this. (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp;jsessionid=EoYOKt05tCRhA eEBxv6zBNFUo2r8jHCchsM4HO5PQ0d1hG5H3sch!1282078494 !174391830!7005!8005?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442 583621&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489160636&bmUID=1143478414744), so yes, I'd assume that they have it.