PDA

View Full Version : Is Walnut Mt. Road (Tn.) paved?

JTDawg
03-26-2006, 13:40
I have seen conflicting descriptions, some say it's paved, others that it is not paved. Does anyone know if it's a paved road, and is it easily accessable?

Morning Glory
03-26-2006, 14:22
I used to go up there a lot as a kid, but I can't remember if it's paved or not but it is quite passable though and easily accessable from the town of Roan Mtn. I think (someone may be able to tell you better), that if you turn left on 19E coming from the town of Roan Mtn, right next to a veterinary clinic, that you can find Walnut Mtn. Road. If you're thinking about parking up there, I would recommend you not do so.

SnakebiteSurvivor
03-26-2006, 17:22
As of last spring, it wasn't paved, but was a good gravel road, no problem for a 2wd passenger car. We parked here for a day hike, but I agree that it's not good for overnight. By the way, the trail crossing is not right at the AT sign, it's maybe 50 yards beyond it (not sure why they put the sign where they did). There's a little turnoff place on the left (if you're coming from 19E).

Rain Man
03-26-2006, 20:19
I have seen conflicting descriptions, some say it's paved, others that it is not paved. Does anyone know if it's a paved road, and is it easily accessable?

Are you talking about the road to Lemon Gap? It's not paved, no. Was there over New Year's weekend in our old Dodge Caravan.

Rain:sunMan

warren doyle
03-27-2006, 09:33
Walnut Mt. Road, off of Buck Mt. Rd. near Roan Mt., TN, is paved until about one mile from the AT crossing until it turns into a wide, well-graveled road that is passable by passenger vehicle. It is one of the harder road/trail crossings to find though. From 19E, just to the east of Roan Mt.,TN, turn onto paved road next to the red-roofed Shell Creek Veterinary Clinic. Bearing right ascend a steep hill; at crest of ridge bear right onto Buck Mt. Rd. and follow curvy ridge a few miles until a smaller paved road drops off to the left on a right hand curve. This is unsigned Walnut Mt. Rd (there is an old nursery sign there). Follow Walnut Mt. Rd. a few miles to the trail crossing.