PDA

View Full Version : trail or road?

EZ4300
03-26-2006, 16:55
i plan on starting my first thru hike attempt in 2007. after reading some stuff I found out that you can take the approach trail or there is some forest road that will get you much closer (a mile or less?)
to the actual AT

question is: What do people think about jumping on from the road? How hard is it to find a ride? Is it better to start with the approach trail?

I still dont know how I'm getting down to GA or how to get to the trail. If anyone can help me out with any tips, that would be great.

Thank!!!

Toolshed
03-26-2006, 17:41
I find this amusing - You are planning thru and are concerned about getting on a logging road that will save you a mile??? :-?

Footslogger
03-26-2006, 17:48
I'm guessing you're talking about FS 42 just north of Springer. Actually, that is probably the most popular starting point since the approach trail from Amicolola is not technically part of the AT. It's really your choice. The approach trail is a little over 8 miles long and pretty nice hiking (until that last mile up Springer). If you've never done the approach trail you might want to include it in your plans. That said ...if you chose to get a ride in on FS 42 and hike the 0.8 mile south to the Springer summit and then start from there you'll be in good company.

'Slogger

darkstar
03-26-2006, 18:03
I agree with Toolshed. If your planning on doing a thru, 2000+ miles, don't be worried about saving a little.

Having said that,

It's about 8 miles on the approach trail from amicalola falls state park, which is rated very strenous. I know that a lot of people quit their quest to do a thru - hike after this testy 8.1 mile approach. The Hike Inn is a great place to see and possibly stay, so why not do the approach trail. It's also a good test to see if your really ready for 2000+ miles.

To answer your question:

Forest service road 42 (FS42) crosses the AT .9 miles on the north side. You can get dropped off there, hike south on the AT for .9 mi to reach the sumit of Springer Mountain and the southern terminus.

I'm assuming that if your serious about thru hiking the AT, you have already gotten the proper books, maps and guides. They will have all this information in there for you.

Good luck

Darkstar

Almost There
03-26-2006, 18:16
Josh and Leigh Saint at the HIker Hostel...call them they can get you to the trail and will take you up 42. This topic has been beat up in the past, do a search on it.

RITBlake
03-26-2006, 18:44
like Lonewolf said the other day, the white blazes start on top of springer.

joel137
03-26-2006, 19:59
I've said this on a different but similar thread.

First its totally up to you, what do you care what others think?

OTOH, the approach trail used to be part of the official trail and in many people's hearts its part of the trail and the trail experience (I know for me that is the case)

You might not think so now or when you first start, but you may change your mind and regret not having done the approach trail; there is something about starting by going out under the arch as you leave the state park visitors center that is special.

My advice would be to do the approach trail, in the context of thru-hike or even a long distance hike, it isn't much. And you will then know for sure that you will never regret not having done it.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2006, 20:18
A thru-hike is a marathon. Nobody goes to Boston and runs a few miles before the start. Josh and Leigh will shuttle you dirt cheap.

Almost There
03-27-2006, 00:14
Joel...the approach was "never" part of the AT. The original AT while going up Springer did not go where the approach trail is now. Although parts might have been a part of the original trail..the majority of it was never part of the original AT. However the MacKaye trail from Springer down to 3 forks was. To that end the best view from Springer is actually on the BMT and not the AT. Blueblazing rules!!!

neo
03-27-2006, 02:04
I find this amusing - You are planning thru and are concerned about getting on a logging road that will save you a mile??? :-?

i agree,besides the approach trail is pretty cool,i am glad i did it:cool: neo

Trail Dog
03-27-2006, 04:03
A thru-hike is a marathon. Nobody goes to Boston and runs a few miles before the start. Josh and Leigh will shuttle you dirt cheap.

however a few days before the marathon they do a few shorter runs to limber up.

just hike and enjoy it. I personally avoid roads as much as possible for wilderness, even if it means more hiking. However blazes are just paint maks on a tree. Nothing speacial