PDA

View Full Version : For those who walk the Approach Trail

lobster
03-26-2006, 18:26
About what % actually walk the whole length from down below the falls instead of starting up by the hotel and saving the extra verticality?

Grampie
03-26-2006, 20:03
It's a personal thing, do the approach or not. Some folks want to save every step possiable and for others it doesn't matter.
I for one did the approach trail and I'm glad I did.:sun

bigben
03-26-2006, 21:23
We're doing the whole thing this May. It seems like we'd be wussing out by catching a ride to the lodge. At least in my mind, which is what counts. I feel, if you're going to do it, do it. If you're not, don't. It really doesn't matter to anyone but yourself. I almost decided to skip it due to planning and logistics. Things changed, so now we're doing it due to an extra trail day. The fact that it doesn't "count" means nothing. It's a day hiking in the mountains and woods, which the AT is a long string of.

Bigben

Dances with Mice
03-26-2006, 21:52
If you skip the Visitor Center to Lodge portion you'll miss one of the finest rhododendron thicket tunnels - with switchbacks!- of the entire trip. You'll also be missing some of the best views on the way to Springer. The views of the valley make that slog up the old gravel road to the top of the Falls worthwhile.

Come to think of it, you'll even miss the Falls if you start at the Lodge parking lot. So forget that!

lobster
03-26-2006, 23:31
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I would think that going to the park store, weighing the pack(sort of a tradition, is the scale still there?), heading out through the arch, and all the way to Springer would add a little continuity to the whole adventure.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gonzo
03-27-2006, 00:12
I weighed my pack on the scale on the side of the Visitors Center and started walking North from there. No regrets though I was laughing at myself when I got to the parking lot next to the Falls and realized I could have started there. I realized I was going to learn a lot on this journey!

neo
03-27-2006, 01:55
the aproach trail was a departure trail for me,i did that section hiking south from deep gap in nc to amicola falls were i parked my car,i am glad i did it:cool: neo

LEGS
03-27-2006, 02:06
Always Thought The Start Was On Top Of Springer And Ended On A Big Mountain In Maine At A Special Sign. I'd Say From Plaque To Sign Was The Trail. The Approach Trail Is Not Part Of The A-t. Fun If You Want To Do It But Not Necessary! Happy Trails To You'all,however Ya Want To Do It!

neo
03-27-2006, 03:02
the aproach trail was a departure trail for me,i did that section hiking south from deep gap in nc to amicola falls were i parked my car,i am glad i did it:cool: neo

:D its still rock and roll to me:cool: neo

Trail Dog
03-27-2006, 03:37
both times i hiked in the south i did the approach trail. It was a wonderful section and if your a first time hiker having walked an extra 8.8 miles it makes you 8.8 miles better than all the other first time hikers.

Its a nice section and i never understood the hikers who complain about having to hike a section. Thats what your there for. Guess its more of that purist mentality.

neo
03-27-2006, 03:44
:D its still rock and roll to me:cool: neo

the approach trail rocks:cool: neo

neo
03-27-2006, 03:44
the approach trail rocks:cool: neo

i would do it again:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 06:27
both times i hiked in the south i did the approach trail. It was a wonderful section and if your a first time hiker having walked an extra 8.8 miles it makes you 8.8 miles better than all the other first time hikers.

Its a nice section and i never understood the hikers who complain about having to hike a section. Thats what your there for. Guess its more of that purist mentality.
Walking 8.8 miles extra mkes one BETTER than others? What elitist BS that is.

neo
03-27-2006, 09:13
:D beep beep:cool: neo

icemanat95
03-27-2006, 09:25
I did the approach trail. It's a bit of a grind, but worth it, not so much for the views or anything, but because you feel more like you've earned the Springer summit.

I hit the park on March 27th, 1995 and spent the afternoon and evening organizing my gear and psyching myself up. I stayed at the shelter right there near the ranger station, then hiked up to Springer shelter on the 28th.

It was a good thing (for me).

lobster
03-27-2006, 11:30
Taking that road to just north of Springer is like taking a helicopter ride to base camp at Everest. Taking the easy way out! All certificates must be turned back in at Harpers Ferry for those who didn't do the whole Approach Trail.

Trail Dog
03-27-2006, 11:45

well only 8.8 miles better. I was specific.

wilderness bob
03-27-2006, 12:14
I started at the Arch, that was where I always associated the beginning was located. Sign in, get your picture taken and hike. I am glad I did so. I turned in to a purist and carried my pack every step of the way, even up Katahdin. That was how I hiked my hike, that's all. Nothing but personal satisfaction and a dream come true.

lobster
03-27-2006, 12:24
I heard you took the canoe across the Kennebec! Your purist status has been reduced to "pseudo-purist"!

joel137
03-27-2006, 12:27
About what % actually walk the whole length from down below the falls instead of starting up by the hotel and saving the extra verticality?

Looks like a poll to me

joel137
03-27-2006, 12:32
At the risk of sounding repititious, as there are I think two other threads on the topic.

Your planning the once in a lifetime thru-hike . . .

regardless of your opinion at the beginning of the hike, your opinion may change (i.e. your purist mentality may change one way or the other during the course of the hike).

Why chance the feelings of regret for just 8.8 miles? Its a nice section and you'll have those "traditional" start experiences that have been referred to above.

HIKER7s
03-27-2006, 12:55
The last time I did the approach trail (every time I have hiked that section, I've done it because "I" just feel you dont earn the start, unless you've proved the test.... of the approach trail)

Anyway, I last did this about 7 years ago. There was a group of 5 or so people aged I would guess 25-35; they were behind me at first then left me in the dust and bounded on. A mile later here they are one guy on the ground huffing and puffing and two of the others whinning like babies.

One, a woman about 30, she was just shaking her head (she looked like a real deal hiker). Once I made sure they were ok I asked how long they were planning to hike. OH! the whole thing they all said. I just said its a good thing they did the approach trail to figure out if thats what they really wanted to do. left'em with that. As I passed that not so happy woman hiker, I whispered when I went by the words we have all had to cling to one time or another "hike YOUR own hike".

I did see only her on the top of springer the next day, they were getting their car. She said she was coming back to start for real in a week as she had to get her brother home. Hope she got back and went for it. I was only out that time for a week hike.

SO- with all this rambling-
YOU SHOULD do the approach trail
it wont take away from a 2k status however think of it a shakedown, so by the time you get to the top o Springer. You will be in the zone.
ran to start the AT

wilderness bob
03-27-2006, 13:03
If so then so, at least the canoe was heading in the right direction. Besides I don't think I could have swam a stroke, water does not get tired and I would have sunk like a stone. peace

max patch
03-27-2006, 13:06

Assuming you are talking about thru-hikers...

First, the AT starts at Springer. It doesn't matter if you start at Amicalola or USFS 42 and backtrack to Springer.

However, some folks think it is important "for them" to hike the approach trail. I can't see these people start off by cheating themselves and skipping the first mile. So I would guess most of them hike the entire distance.

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 15:10
Taking that road to just north of Springer is like taking a helicopter ride to base camp at Everest. Taking the easy way out! All certificates must be turned back in at Harpers Ferry for those who didn't do the whole Approach Trail.

Hm. I've been to Everest three times over the years, as a climber, a communications guy, and a tourist. Don't think I've ever seen somebody arrive in a helicopter other than press.

In any case, who cares. Hike the trail, don't hike it. Yellow blaze, blue, white, brown, green or purple. Who gives a rats a$$? Do what you want.

AbeHikes
03-27-2006, 17:01
I always like going up that gravel road to the Falls. I always hate coming back down.