PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your lobster?

saimyoji
03-26-2006, 21:04
What is your preference?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2006, 21:11
Boiled in Bass Harbor salt water, dipped in melted Cabot's butter.

Sly
03-26-2006, 21:24
Boiled with butter, steamed clams and NE style clam chowdah (not that fake Manhattan ****).

Tin Man
03-26-2006, 23:19
Boiled with butter, steamed clams and NE style clam chowdah (not that fake Manhattan ****).

Yummy! I second that.

Mountain Maiden
03-26-2006, 23:25
I would like my MAINE lobster AYCE-style pls. Keep 'em coming---with rich Plugra butter and a squeeze of lemon. No tomalley, thank you. :(

Let me know when they are ready--I'll be right over!!

Mountain Maiden
03-26-2006, 23:28
What is your preference?
How did this get in "Hiking Humor?!" I am serious!:D

Seeker
03-26-2006, 23:55
blocked.

(the crustacean, i like with butter, salt potatos, steak, salad, and a vegetable.)

Just Jeff
03-27-2006, 01:08
You left out an option - On Ignore.

neo
03-27-2006, 01:11
fried like my chicken:cool: neo

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 06:40
some of us have a lot of time on our hands.

Another good hiker question, "Did the Kennedys kill Marylin Monroe?":confused:

mrmike48/4000
03-27-2006, 08:18
put the lobster rite into an old fashioned clambake. dig a pit in the ground fire it up and put all the fixins in the pit to be STEAMED.. now thats a party new england style...red chowder over white chowder all day long...yummy:banana :sun nitewalker

woodsy
03-27-2006, 08:35
Disemboweled, kinda like the one on WB.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 08:58
put the lobster rite into an old fashioned clambake. dig a pit in the ground fire it up and put all the fixins in the pit to be STEAMED.. now thats a party new england style...red chowder over white chowder all day long...yummy:banana :sun nitewalker
Actually the best clam chowda is Rhode Island style. Clear broth.

peter_pan
03-27-2006, 09:01
Good lobster: Barbeque grilled on a stick....braised with butter....quietly enjoyed on a waterfrot setting.... with a rusty nail made with a fine single malt.

Big, old tough lobster: Best passed to the young and easily impressed or ignored.

Pan

rickb
03-27-2006, 09:02
Lobster can be a bit frustrating for those unused to that kind of crustation, but its always good. Put on a bib and enjoy!

Cookerhiker
03-27-2006, 09:23

Couldn't agree more with you about that Manhattan tomato vegetable soup fraudulantly labeled as clam chowder.

Mags
03-27-2006, 12:12
Actually the best clam chowda is Rhode Island style. Clear broth.

..with some clam cakes, of course. George's or Aunt Carries?

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 12:14
George's for sure. The Corner Tavern ain't bad either.

Sly
03-27-2006, 12:20
Clear broth chowdah? Sounds more like soup!

Cookerhiker
03-27-2006, 13:05
Some of the best chowdah I've had was in Seattle down by waterfront. Ivars is famous (justifiable so) but there's a lot of good chowdah at Pike Place Market. Nothing beats chowdah in a breadbowl with a Seattle micro-brew sitting outside looking across Puget Sound on a sunny summer day (when the East Coast is bathing and reeking in humidity).

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 16:38
Is "removed from WB" an option?

cup
03-27-2006, 16:47
Lobster should be steamed with beer.

Lots of butter and you can only use your hands no tools

P.S. I am looking at the Maine docks from my window

Tin Man
03-27-2006, 19:50
Ornery Lobster is best served filleted then pounded mercilessly into extra tenderized submission and served to appreciating WB'ers.

JoeHiker
03-28-2006, 16:33
I can't stand to eat anything that crawls on the ocean floor.If it swims, that's a different story.

gr8fulyankee
03-28-2006, 16:46
Steamed w/ a little seaweed and fresh salt water over a coleman whitegas stove with steamers,butter, corn on the cob and salt&pepper chips with an ICE COLD beer. Oh I can't wait until July and I am in Maine again!!!

Mags
03-28-2006, 17:27
George's for sure. The Corner Tavern ain't bad either.

Knew you had good taste!

Sitting along the rocks by the ocean, eating some clam chakes and (RI style) chowda by George's on a hot summer night is just plain awesome.

http://www.georgesofgalilee.com/specials.htm#Take%20Out%20Menu

Gonna get me some of that delicious food when I vist the family in May...

Pennsylvania Rose
03-28-2006, 18:08
You left out an option - On Ignore.

I second that.

Heater
03-28-2006, 18:29
This is a good one for grilled Lobster tails.

Ingredients:

4 - 1/2 lb. Lobster Tails
1 bit Peanut Oil
1-2 Ea Limes
Garlic Powder
1 Touch Lawry's Seasoning Salt
(Optional) Green Chili Powder
Butter
Minced Garlic
Serves 2
Preparation:
Get your shears and cut the clear membrane off the
belly of the tail, getting rid of the tiny feet, exposing the meat. Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel and
place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver, place it longwise (parallel) in the center
of the shell and tap the back of the blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will lay flat on
the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell ! Now flip them over, belly side up. Take a bit of oil ( I used peanut )and
pour a small amount on your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a drizzle. Grab a lime or
two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat, liberally. Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lawry's
seasoning salt. I then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything I cook, New
Mexican green chili powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your lobsters will still be far and
above any lobster you ever had before. Place covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your gettin'
your cooker ready. Get a good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all of you
know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move swiftly because every minute counts. Place tails,
meat side down on the grill and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the tapping cleaver.
Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If
you don't have a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cookin', get one ! Open the cooker after 5 minutes and
with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky. Take your cup
(grab it with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed mixture onto the lobster tails. The
tails will form a slight cupped shape which will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute,
and that is great. Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell"
for 5 more minutes. Remember - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of lobster
on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend holding any conversations with your company
while you're fixin' this supper. Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10 minutes is
over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for 10 minutes, no more explanations will be
necessary. Simply, Heaven on Earth ! Serve with long grain and wild rice, corn on the cobs, asparagus, salad, just
about anything. Even though we had melted butter to dip the lobster in, it wasn't really necessary. I'm not that good a cook, but these tails are truly world class. Give 'em a try. I do these quite often and would not go back to boiled again. IMO - the texture is far superior grilled than boiled, just don't burn them up and dry them out.
"elegant, yet pleasingly casual"
Courtesy of Houndog, from the BBQ FORUM. (Another forum I requent a lot)

dudley
03-28-2006, 18:52
..with some clam cakes, of course. George's or Aunt Carries?
Aunt Carries