PDA

View Full Version : A long first post

bzmnboy
03-26-2006, 21:27
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking for several weeks. I am currently going to school in Bozeman, Montana, but I live and spend my summers in Connecticut.
As far as my hiking background goes I have done plenty of day hikes, and a few backpacking trips when I was much younger, but now I would like to get more into it. I am planning a 5 day hike in May with some of my buddies, and I am hoping to get some additional weekend trips in over the summer. If all goes well I hope to be gearing up for a Southbound Thru-hike at this time next year.
This site has helped answer many of my questions, but I still have a few more, but those will be posted in the gear forum. So for now I say hello!
-Geoffrey

Also I have noticed some fishing discussions in here, well I am an experienced fisherman, and even though I am young I am an expert on all types of fishing, so if you have any questions just PM me!:sun

Trail Dog
03-27-2006, 03:46
i hiked with two hikers from Bozeman Montana. They work in Universities, however one now is a professor in Alaska. What school do you go to maybe my friend is there. He did the AT in two big sections, maybe your science professor is a hiker?

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 06:04
...young and living in Bozeman...you lucky dog!

:welcome

Big Dawg
03-27-2006, 07:43
:welcome to Whiteblaze!!!

gsingjane
03-27-2006, 07:51
Do you spend the summer on the shoreline? Are you going to be on the trail this summer in Connecticut? Hope so! Maybe we'll see you out there!

Jane in CT

hobbit
03-27-2006, 09:07
bozeman i hope you take advantage of the good snowboarding out there in the winter!!!!

peanuts
03-27-2006, 12:02
images/smilies/welcome.gif To WhiteBlaze...love Big Sky Country

bzmnboy
03-27-2006, 14:32
I am at Montana State now, but I am not in any science classes, I am more of an English guy :) I must say that it is incredible to spend the summers on the shore, and the fall, and winter skiing the big mountains and fishing the best trout waters in the country:)

Yeah, this summer I will be doing multiple hikes the only problem being I dont know where to start and where to stay overnight. I got a book called "The Appalachian Trail: How to Prepare For and Hike It," and from the maps in the back it looks like I should start the 5 day in Hudson Highlands State Park, but should I hike north or south? Can I camp there or do I need to find shelters? Also is this a good, somewhat secluded place to go, ot should I rethink my options?
Thanks,
Geoffrey