PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera lense cover?

Tommy
03-27-2006, 00:17
In search of a digital camera to take on my hike with me, I have been researching the low end of digital cameras out there. Now keep in mind I have little to no knowledge about cameras and just want something basic and small to take with me. But from what I've seen there are almost no cameras out there that come with a lense cover, snap on or slide.

Is there a reason for this and have they developed scratch resistant lenses? Or am I missing something and they do come with them, or have the companies not have a lense cover as part of a "buy a new camera every year from scratching" plan?

tommy

neo
03-27-2006, 03:02
In search of a digital camera to take on my hike with me, I have been researching the low end of digital cameras out there. Now keep in mind I have little to no knowledge about cameras and just want something basic and small to take with me. But from what I've seen there are almost no cameras out there that come with a lense cover, snap on or slide.

Is there a reason for this and have they developed scratch resistant lenses? Or am I missing something and they do come with them, or have the companies not have a lense cover as part of a "buy a new camera every year from scratching" plan?

tommy

i carry a fuji a303,this is a newer model:cool: neo

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalA400Overview.jsp?item=I842412&dbid=842412&urltype=overview&NavBarId=I842412

OutbackHack
03-27-2006, 10:03
Virtually all the compact cameras in Canon's PowerShot line have internal retractable lens covers. I've owned 3 of these (S100, G5, SD10) and love how well they stand up to the abuse I subject them too. They produce some really good quality images for a compact camera and get good battery life.

For a thru-hike I'd recommend the A series because they use standard AA batteries.

Rain Man
03-27-2006, 10:25
...But from what I've seen there are almost no cameras out there that come with a lense cover, snap on or slide.

I have had two of the Nikon 2100-5200 series. On one, the display screen stopped working, on the other the lens cover never worked completely all the time. The automatic built-in lens cover MIGHT or MIGHT NOT close on it, thus unless you manually checked each time, the lens might be exposed. NOT GOOD. Fortunately, that one was still under Sam's Club guarantee, so I returned it.

Now I have a Canon S1 IS. It has a "real" lens cover, has a real 10x optical zoom, and takes standard size AA batteries. A bit bulkly, but not compared to 35mm SLR cameras!

Rain:sunMan