PDA

View Full Version : Damascus or Smokies???

2009ThruHiker
03-27-2006, 00:29
Another possible hike idea for Easter weekend this year is either Damascus to Mt. Rogers area or a portion of the Smokies. Any ideas on the differences between the two that I should consider, specifically overnight low temps. and will it still look like winter in these areas?
I'm a bit unsettled on where to go and I think once the weather is forecasted for both areas that will play a big part in the decision, but I would still like some advice. THANKS!

Almost There
03-27-2006, 01:14
Hike Mt. Rodgers area south to Damascus and that way you finish in town with a great meal. I hiked this stretch the week of Tgiving and got rain and snow with a 60 degree day before the rain and snow! Difficult to judge the weather, but you are right snow up high, with zero in the valleys. It's a great hike...enjoy it!

neo
03-27-2006, 02:45
the smokies.but i avoid the AT during april:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 06:35
Another possible hike idea for Easter weekend this year is either Damascus to Mt. Rogers area or a portion of the Smokies. Any ideas on the differences between the two that I should consider, specifically overnight low temps. and will it still look like winter in these areas?
I'm a bit unsettled on where to go and I think once the weather is forecasted for both areas that will play a big part in the decision, but I would still like some advice. THANKS!
Hike the Damascus area. It's more scenic and much less crowded than the Smoky's will be.

ffstenger
03-27-2006, 07:38
If you wait too late to decide, you may not get shelter reservations in the
Smokys:o

Davy Crockett
03-30-2006, 17:30
South of Damascus along Watauga Valley there are some incredible vistas. Hiked this portion St. Patricks day weekend. Started off warm(high 40's) and ended three days later in 3 inches of snow. Forecast for that day was 50% chance of rain.

Florida weather is easy to judge... rain in afternoon and hot as **** all the time.

Disney
04-04-2006, 19:33
People you meet in the Smokies may be just tourists with cars. People you meet in the Damascus area will be other hikers. I think the wild life is much better in the Greyson Highlands than in the Smokies (wild ponies instead of hogs). And you can finish the hike in Damascus instead of Gatlinburg or Fontana Dam. I don't know for sure, but I would bet the rain would be worse in the Smokies. Just an impulse though.

Lone Wolf
04-04-2006, 21:39
Disney speaks the truth.