View Full Version : jetboil

neo
03-27-2006, 03:32
how many people use the jetboil:cool: neo

http://www.jetboil.com/

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 06:19
...I love it.

Did my thru-hike with an alcohol stove and never seemed to master the art of cooking my noodles. One of my hiking partners, Charlie, had gas and was done eating by the time my water boiled.

Went cold...then canister gas...and finally after four thousand or so miles graduated to the Jetboil. Like my electric toothbrush, it's worth its weight.

I haven't payed any attention to comments on it here, but my guess is there are critics who don't like it because it is fancy smancy...and real backpackers hike out in the wilderness (like Daniel Boone) without a cell phone, MP3 player, 12 function watch, heated socks, silk clothes, electric tooth brush, electric shaver, $200 sunglasses and Mountain House meals.:eek:

neo
03-27-2006, 09:14
...I love it.

Did my thru-hike with an alcohol stove and never seemed to master the art of cooking my noodles. One of my hiking partners, Charlie, had gas and was done eating by the time my water boiled.

Went cold...then canister gas...and finally after four thousand or so miles graduated to the Jetboil. Like my electric toothbrush, it's worth its weight.

I haven't payed any attention to comments on it here, but my guess is there are critics who don't like it because it is fancy smancy...and real backpackers hike out in the wilderness (like Daniel Boone) without a cell phone, MP3 player, 12 function watch, heated socks, silk clothes, electric tooth brush, electric shaver, $200 sunglasses and Mountain House meals.:eek:

awesome man:cool: neo

lbbrown
03-27-2006, 10:19
how many people use the jetboil:cool: neo

http://www.jetboil.com/

57,972 as of today!

Almost There
03-27-2006, 10:20
Love Mine!

brancher
03-27-2006, 10:28
...I love it.

I went from a Coleman Extreme to Esbits, to a catfood stove, then to a Mini Trangia kitchen. Very cool, and I was proud of myself for doing the alcohol thing. I still like the Trangia. But I tried a jetboil, and liked the weight (it is 2 oz less than a trangia with fuel bottle) and the speed. Took it on a winter trip, had hot tea in 3 minutes on top of a ridge in 8 in os snow. Packed up light and easy (h-m-m-m......worldview has been shaken.....).

I do not carry mp3, cell, heated socks, titanium sporks, $200 sunglasses, or silkies.

But I do carry my Jetboil.

neo
03-27-2006, 10:36
I went from a Coleman Extreme to Esbits, to a catfood stove, then to a Mini Trangia kitchen. Very cool, and I was proud of myself for doing the alcohol thing. I still like the Trangia. But I tried a jetboil, and liked the weight (it is 2 oz less than a trangia with fuel bottle) and the speed. Took it on a winter trip, had hot tea in 3 minutes on top of a ridge in 8 in os snow. Packed up light and easy (h-m-m-m......worldview has been shaken.....).

I do not carry mp3, cell, heated socks, titanium sporks, $200 sunglasses, or silkies.

still rock and roll to me,awesome cool:cool: neo

neo
03-27-2006, 10:38

i did the esbit stove,mini trangia,pepsi alcohol stove,msr wisperlite stove
but the jet boil rules:cool: neo

neo
03-27-2006, 10:40
Love Mine!

:D excellent:cool: neo

neo
03-27-2006, 10:41
:D
57,972 as of today!

:D beep beep:cool: neo

joel137
03-27-2006, 12:15
Just bought one and plan to use it this summer.

Question about fuel usage:

I'll probably be boiling about 3-4 cups and night and 1-2 cups in the morning.

May/June temps

about how many days can the small Jetboil cannisters last at that usage level?

Also, the large Snow Peak cannisters?

Footslogger
03-27-2006, 12:22
Haven't tried one yet ...but I'm not ruling it out in the future. At first glance it seems like a large package to me and the pot is narrow and deep.

Did my thru in 2003 with a Trangia and an Evernew 0.9 Liter pot. Never had a problem with it. I own 5 - 6 propane/butane stoves so I'm not a stranger to the concept. I just got tired of carrying the cannisters and even moreso the fact that they couldn't be refilled. Alcohol was cheap, easy to find and I could use the same container.

One thing for sure ...the first company/person that comes up with a refillable cannister will turn the market on its ear.

'Slogger

neo
03-27-2006, 12:33
Just bought one and plan to use it this summer.

Question about fuel usage:

I'll probably be boiling about 3-4 cups and night and 1-2 cups in the morning.

May/June temps

about how many days can the small Jetboil cannisters last at that usage level?

Also, the large Snow Peak cannisters?

i carry the larger cannister it lasts me over 2 weeks cooking 2 times per day
not bad for 7 oz of fuel:cool: neo

Ender
03-27-2006, 12:34
Nope. Doesn't fit my cooking style at all. Sticking with the alky stove and Ti pot.

neo
03-27-2006, 12:38
Nope. Doesn't fit my cooking style at all. Sticking with the alky stove and Ti pot.

:D can you cook 2 meals a day for over 2 weeks on 7 oz of alcohol:cool: neo

Ender
03-27-2006, 12:43
Doesn't matter if I could or not, the Jetboil only allows one to boil water in a skinnyass cup. Not how I cook my food. I also do a fair amount of frying, which I don't think the JB can do. (correct me if I'm wrong)

And besides, my alky stove is efficient enough... 12 ounces usually lasts me two weeks. There comes a point when getting any lighter/more efficient/"better" starts to come at a serious cost to convenience. The Jetboil passed that point for me, though I understand that it does work great for those who do "boil water" foods only. For the limited gain in efficiency, the loss of flexability just isn't worth it to me.

QHShowoman
03-27-2006, 12:58
Doesn't matter if I could or not, the Jetboil only allows one to boil water in a skinnyass cup. Not how I cook my food. I also do a fair amount of frying, which I don't think the JB can do. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think this is available for retail purchase yet, but the Jetboil GCS (group cooking system) will do just that:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cooking-Systems/Group-(GCS)

Ender
03-27-2006, 13:02
I don't think this is available for retail purchase yet, but the Jetboil GCS (group cooking system) will do just that:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cooking-Systems/Group-(GCS)

That is nice, and I may consider it for kayaking trips, but it's too heavy for backpacking at 19 oz. empty. My whole system, including stove, stand, and pot weighs in at 8.5 ounces. But that's a really good system for kayaking... hmmmm... may think about getting it.

HIKER7s
03-27-2006, 13:08
I use a pocket rocket MSR, Its great, light and meets MY needs. When you get into boiling more than one meal a sitting I have found it is still ok-when the weather is warm.

I recently short-sectioned (3-18/19) in PA. (Fox Gap to Little Gap) I took the pocket rocket and found that it performed pretty good around 35 degrees however as soon as that cannister gets below 30, due to the gas thickening the reliability of this stove goes downhill quick.

I tried my partners jet-boil (1st time Ive used one and I have to say it seems like the real deal)

I need more experiences in it in cold weather to sell me though. How is it in a constant 10-20 degree range. Anybody??
)

Footslogger
03-27-2006, 13:24
[quote=HIKER7s] however as soon as that cannister gets below 30, due to the gas thickening the reliability of this stove goes downhill quick
=================================
You can avoid this by keeping the canniser in your sleeping bag at night. I've cooked with propane/butane at temps near or below zero. Once the stove is lit the heat from the burner transfers to the cannister and there is no problem maintaining good vapor flow.

That said ...I pretty much always cook with alcohol these days, especially on longer hikes. For weekends I will sometimes pull out my pocket rocket or primus head and a small cannister though.

'Slogger

neo
03-27-2006, 13:28
[quote=HIKER7s] however as soon as that cannister gets below 30, due to the gas thickening the reliability of this stove goes downhill quick
=================================
You can avoid this by keeping the canniser in your sleeping bag at night. I've cooked with propane/butane at temps near or below zero. Once the stove is lit the heat from the burner transfers to the cannister and there is no problem maintaining good vapor flow.

That said ...I pretty much always cook with alcohol these days, especially on longer hikes. For weekends I will sometimes pull out my pocket rocket or primus head and a small cannister though.

'Slogger

i have used mine down to 18 degrees,slower,but still gets the job done:D
:cool: neo

fivefour
03-27-2006, 13:29
love mine ... can't wait for the 1.5L pot. oh dang ! i think it's supposed to be available today !

neo
03-27-2006, 13:30
That is nice, and I may consider it for kayaking trips, but it's too heavy for backpacking at 19 oz. empty. My whole system, including stove, stand, and pot weighs in at 8.5 ounces. But that's a really good system for kayaking... hmmmm... may think about getting it.

most of my kayak trip cooking is over a fire lol:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-27-2006, 13:34
It was about 25F with 30mph winds and I couldn't boil water at 10,000ft. It barely melted the snow.

But I had the normal small cannister, not the fancy mixture that works better in cold weather. Stupid me - I had one at home, but it was bigger and I wanted to pack small...lesson learned. I also got some copper wire to wrap around the cannister as described on bpl, but I haven't been in the cold to try it yet.

HIKER7s
03-27-2006, 13:49
thanks Slogger

Skeemer
03-27-2006, 15:04
The small 3.8 oz canister along with the stove and cleaning cloth fits nicely inside the cup. I also pack an extra canister so I don't have to worry about when the one on the stove empties out.

I just returned from a couple of weeks on the AT. Couple of very cold nights and mornings I did hot chocolate and had absolutely no problems...lights on the first push of the button every time.

neo
03-27-2006, 15:06
The small 3.8 oz canister along with the stove and cleaning cloth fits nicely inside the cup. I also pack an extra canister so I don't have to worry about when the one on the stove empties out.

I just returned from a couple of weeks on the AT. Couple of very cold nights and mornings I did hot chocolate and had absolutely no problems...lights on the first push of the button every time.

:D excellent report:cool: neo

brancher
03-27-2006, 18:39

...The Jetboil passed that point for me, though I understand that it does work great for those who do "boil water" foods only. For the limited gain in efficiency, the loss of flexability just isn't worth it to me.

I keep my kitchen in a bag. The jetboil, with the pot adapter enclosed, along with lexan, soap, pad, bandana or towel, windscreen, and a .9 liter pot. The pot fits perfectly inverted over the jetboil. Now I can boil water, cook, stew, make potions, swhatever. I may even throw in a mini fry pan.
:sun

saimyoji
03-27-2006, 22:14
neo: This is your 1298th post about JetBoil. We get the point. I'm glad you are so happy with your cooking system....

....Is there another forum where you post about how proud of your boys, or how much you love your wife?

Just curious.

Good thing this isn't in the straight forward section.:D

saimyoji
03-27-2006, 22:19
Ahh..BTW...Do you need the larger pot for cooking for two, or do you just like to cook more for meals? I'm thinking that this may be a good system for me for how I'm hiking right now: shorter sections (2-3 days tops); but maybe hiking longer sections come June.

How much does that JB go for? $80?

2XL
03-29-2006, 09:09
[QUOTE=saimyoji]Ahh..BTW...Do you need the larger pot for cooking for two, or do you just like to cook more for meals? I'm thinking that this may be a good system for me for how I'm hiking right now: shorter sections (2-3 days tops); but maybe hiking longer sections come June.

I just ordered mine from here $62.00
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/stoves%20&%20cook%20gear%20main%20main/jetboil.htm
Cheapest price I found.
Camo or Black

I've heard it was a pain to clean but
if you are interested in the Java set up, $77.00
http://www.bestofnewengland.com/SearchResult.aspx
Black only.

fivefour
03-29-2006, 09:31
Ahh..BTW...Do you need the larger pot for cooking for two, or do you just like to cook more for meals? I'm thinking that this may be a good system for me for how I'm hiking right now: shorter sections (2-3 days tops); but maybe hiking longer sections come June.

i want the larger pot for simmering. i have trouble heating thicker stews and such thoroughly without burning the bottom. the jetboil cooks so quickly i find i have to constantly stir and even them sometimes i have a little trouble. i am sure the larger pot will solve this problem.

mrmike48/4000
03-29-2006, 09:38
i have a jet boil and i think it is great but i also have the 3oz msr pocket rocket which i like a hell of alot better for summer hiking:eek: ..i sometimes bring them both because the fuel cylinder fits both. the 3oz rocket is not even an issue of weight:-? ....nitewalker;)

Homecoming Queen
03-29-2006, 09:38
I'm thinking of replacing my alcohol cooking system with a jetboil for my thru-hike next year. I just need to boil water for one person. I think I'll actually come out ahead weight-wise. The only outstanding issue for me is whether I will be able to buy replacement canisters when I need them. Anyone have any experience with this? :confused: (I'm trying to limit my maildrops -- although I'll probably end up with 8 to 10.)

orangebug
03-29-2006, 11:07
Love Mine!So, I brought you over to the Dark Side.

I have one and 2 cups for it. It makes it easy to introduce the technology to the unwitting.

Almost There
03-29-2006, 11:13
Yes, you brought me over...and I will be indoctrinating another victim this weekend up in NC. Got it on ebay for $90, included an extra cup and two fuel cannisters.

MacGyver2005
03-29-2006, 11:54
I'm thinking of replacing my alcohol cooking system with a jetboil for my thru-hike next year. I just need to boil water for one person. I think I'll actually come out ahead weight-wise.

I am curious about your consideration of weight savings. I am not sure of your current setup, but personally think that an alcohol setup can be substantially lighter than a Jetboil. Get a titanium pot (or grease pot) at 4oz, an alcohol stove at under 1oz, and a 1oz container for your fuel. That leave upwards of 9oz of fuel to even meet the "empty" weight of the Jetboil. I cooked for two with this alcohol setup and 9oz of alcohol would have lasted us a week and a half. I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just interested in what you are carrying and how you have come to the conclusion of being lighter with a Jetboil.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Homecoming Queen
03-29-2006, 12:19
I agree that if I had all those things you mentioned, it probably would weigh less. BUT I have a Turbo IID (which I think is around 2.5 oz.), a Titanium .9 pot (haven't checked the weight on this individually lately) a wind screen made out of a roofing flashing, also reflector made out of the same flashing, PLUS the fuel bottle and the fuel. I weighed the stove, pot and flashing stuff this weekend and it was 11 oz -- which obviously didn't include the fuel and fuel bottle. I know there are easy ways to cut this weight further by using something different than roofing flashing for example.

Normally, this is a great set-up when my husband and I hike together because the pan is big enough to heat water for two people. And the weigh distribution for 2 people is also good. So I'm not pitching my alcohol stove.

The other consideration for me is that sometimes its hard for me to get the alcohol stove started which doesn't seem to be as much of a concern with the jetboil.

Skeemer
03-29-2006, 12:37
The voluptuous Homecoming Queen asked:
The only outstanding issue for me is whether I will be able to buy replacement canisters when I need them. Anyone have any experience with this?

Charlie looked all over town and couldn't find a canister here in '03 (no outfitters:( ). Other than that he was fine.

Beachwalker
03-29-2006, 13:41
neo: This is your 1298th post about JetBoil. We get the point. I'm glad you are so happy with your cooking system....

....Is there another forum where you post about how proud of your boys, or how much you love your wife?

Just curious.

Good thing this isn't in the straight forward section.:D

I take it you haven't read a hammock thread yet??? He's well into the 6 digits there... :rolleyes:

-- BW

neo
03-29-2006, 13:46
I take it you haven't read a hammock thread yet??? He's well into the 6 digits there... :rolleyes:

-- BW

hammocks rule so does the jetboil:cool: neo

kdholmwood
03-29-2006, 14:23
I bought a jetboil eighteen months ago here in England. The lid split within two weeks of use. The piezo worked loose and failed to operate after a month. Then it spontaneously overheated to the extent of unfurling the steel which holds in the burner mesh. Sent it back for repair and the replacement burner did exactly the same thing, this time roaring like a Harley as it did so. It's not just unreliable, it's dangerous. I use Sgt Rock's ion stove now, and sometimes a trangia, but there are lots of cannister stoves which are cheaper, lighter, and safer.
Keith

neo
03-29-2006, 15:48
i want the larger pot for simmering. i have trouble heating thicker stews and such thoroughly without burning the bottom. the jetboil cooks so quickly i find i have to constantly stir and even them sometimes i have a little trouble. i am sure the larger pot will solve this problem.

i dont cook in mine,i add 2 cups of boiling water to a freezer bag full
of dinner,then i set the bag back in the pot,then eat it 15 minutes later
the insulated pot keeps it hot,jet boil compliments freezer bag cooking.:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-29-2006, 15:49
The old lids split like that...I called them and they sent me one of the new ones with no questions.

The rest of that sounds disturbing - this is the first I've heard of anything like that. What did they company say?

kdholmwood
03-29-2006, 17:12
The people dealing with repairs in Britain claimed in their report that I must have deliberately straightened out the folded-over steel cylinder that holds the mesh in place - pretty difficult to achieve, I think. In fact the steel became red hot and the folds over the mesh perimeter opened out and straightened without my intervention. I have used primus and other canister stoves but have never encountered such a failure - the noise it made was frightening - nor dealt with such an obtuse supplier as Field and Trek.

2XL
03-29-2006, 17:15
I just got my JB yesterday and tried it out for the first time at lunch today.
IT BROKE!
About half an inch of the porcelin on the igniter cracked right off.
I've called customer service a couple times today, but nobody has returned my call yet. I hope they are helpful when I do finally get through.

hopefulhiker
03-29-2006, 18:31
I used the jetboil until Damascus last year, then switched to Sgt Rocks ion stove for the rest of the trip.. The pocket rocket is a little lighter. But the jetboil was fast and convenient. I didn't mind sacrificing time for weight as I started paring down my weight later in the trip.. I found that the small canisters were not easy to find everywhere and that they would unexpectedly run out on you and to be safe you had to carry two of them.

Two Speed
03-29-2006, 19:25
A friend tried one out on a short hike this last weekend. Very "tippy" and extremely prone to boil over. On the plus side, very fast. With a partner, particularly with the coffee press, probably. Solo, I'll stick to my Trangia.

mrmike48/4000
03-30-2006, 00:30
3oz msr pocket rocket rules !!!:sun